Edit Tempo Map Node w/o Messing Up Everything Downstream

Scott Kendrick

Question

Really struggling with this one... I have a tempo map that is almost perfect... (this was created by setting tempo markers from an audio file). One node is in the wrong spot... example instead of the beat hitting on 18:01 it's hitting at 17 something... so I try deleting that one note, then reset the tempo marker to where it should be... however it screws up all my tempo alignment and markers down stream from that... is there any way to do this right? Also in the Tempo Track view, I can't seem to edit the M:B:T values... I can type in the box but it always resets.  

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Scott Kendrick said:

Really struggling with this one... I have a tempo map that is almost perfect... (this was created by setting tempo markers from an audio file). One node is in the wrong spot... example instead of the beat hitting on 18:01 it's hitting at 17 something... so I try deleting that one note, then reset the tempo marker to where it should be... however it screws up all my tempo alignment and markers down stream from that... is there any way to do this right? Also in the Tempo Track view, I can't seem to edit the M:B:T values... I can type in the box but it always resets.  

I created a simple tempo map to test and I did not find the issues that you described.

Is it possible to, rather than deleting the node, hold down SHIFT while dragging the node from 17 to 18?  Holding SHIFT restricts the movement to the initial mouse movement.

Also, I was able to edit the M:B:T values of any of the nodes that were not on the measure.

Basically, the workflow for editing a tempo map is identical to editing automation.

• Like 1

Do you mean like a Right Click - Properties?... I think that did work, just not sure why I can't edit in the list of nodes in the Tempo Track Pane. Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem - it moved my tempo marker but the Audio file is still not aligned to start of the measure. So I guess my real problem isn't so much about editing the tempo nodes but rather setting the Measure/Beat at Now so that it aligns with the original audio file. If you see in the attached... what I tried to do was delete the existing node then Set Measure/Beat at Now --- but that causes all my down stream beats that I had already aligned to the start of measures, to misaligned.

image.png.502fe0d0b24f67c89bd10cf6aa4ef358.png

I sort of solved my problem.. by playing with the values of the preceding tempo marker and this tempo marker I was able to get things where they needed to be with trial and error. I just thought I could delete it and use my method of Set Measure/Beat Now to line things up... but it causes this down stream affect on the rest of the aligned beats/measures.