Walk A Mile

treesha

This is a song about abandonment. When you go through hard times, it is said you find out who your friends are. When you go through lengthy hard times, you may find you don’t have any friends anymore. I am not happy with my voice at all due to allergies etc, and I think I did the best I could with it. If anyone has any suggestions besides singing better ha, I would appreciate feedback. I sang it quite a few times using different mics and this was the “best”. I worked about as long on trying to not hate the lead vocal as I did on the entire song, there are two lead vocal tracks handled differently. I have a few eqs and some ozone and some nectar and some light reverb on a bus on one only. This version is the mix stage, won’t go further in case I get some suggestions. It’s called Walk A Mile, for the saying walk a mile in my shoes. I used some sounds from the free Proclethya, vital, and some AAS bass. I used Rast Drums to make the drum parts, my first time trying it. A little nod to Lee Scratch Perry whose death was announced today for the delay and a bit of the weirdness in it. Thanks for listening and any feedback.

• Like 8

The accompaniment is stellar, first rate.  Casper David Friedrich Paintings remind me of the isolation and *insignificance* you're alluding to., except in the german romantic sense it's considered a good thing.  LoL  I loved your vocals on this, the doubling is extremely effective.

• Like 1

Thanks David! I really enjoyed making this one except for struggling with the lead vocals! I am glad they now sound loveable ha! So much melodyne and rx and fx and trying different things like tons of backing vocal lines ha. 

Treesha , You've hit the spot. I think the vocals were "great" and by far my favorite of all of your songs. The high backing vocals were fantastic. I also liked the way one of the lead vocals was a little dry ,  It seemed to make it more personal like you were in my ear. With vocals like this I think you could also add a whispering track. Great job !   Loved it ..  mark

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, treesha said:

not happy with my voice

Nothing to be ashamed of at all!
I like this a lot! Def one of your best.

t

a little note:
most of those that "love" their own voice, I don't care to listen to.
I've never been "happy" with what I hear in playback.
It doesn't sound at all like what I hear when I'm singing...

• Like 1

Ha, thanks for listening t, I had to work on the lead vocal a lot to make it work, its funny that I never used to think about my voice one way or another, never thought of myself as a singer though, I just sing songs I write when they need vocals ha. But now that my voice has changed and I am stuck with allergies the last 5 years I really miss my normal voice!  And all this smoke out west...worse than playing in bars ever was.  Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it and for the support.  

• Like 1

Treesha . . . it's an excellent composition, very subtle instrumentally, and in the way it unfolds. You capture the intention of your abandonment theme very effectively, and the artwork on your Soundcloud page helps bring it home as well. You've mentioned your voice many times here, but I really like what you've done here, the piece doesn't call for any diva flashyness anyways. Everything is super clear, you haven't overdone the vocal effects at all . . . ya' Treesha, had a few listens, and really like this ! Hope you keep writing and posting some more of your stuff on the songs forum.

• Like 1

Hi noynekker, Thanks so much for listening  (a few times !) and for your words of support. It feels good to create something important to me and to have others appreciate it too. And that I got the technical stuff and the feelings across too. I hope to keep posting too ! Thanks again

Hi Larry T. , Thanks for listening and for your very positive feedback ! I am self taught and yes rely on taste and feel quite a bit, and play around quite a lot, and so I really appreciate your comments and comparisons to some whose music is so rich ! I am really encouraged by the folks on this forum who take the time to listen and comment. I feel "heard" and nurtured on my musical journey.  Thanks again

• Like 1

Treesha, this is fab-u-lous - wow - the vocals just blew me away. Yes I also get the Kate Bush/ Peter Gabriel vibe and just a hint of Pet Shop Boys.

Really haunting but mesmerising stuff and some really interesting chord progressions in there too.

I loved it - well done.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
  • Like 1

Hi AndyBO1,  thanks so much for listening and the very positive feedback !  I am really moved by the positive feedback and very encouraged about my music making! I really appreciate the comments and was not expecting such amazing things !