Video Codec

Jimlau

Trying to render an audio and video track. The settings I have are in the photo. I am able to render on my new computer, but on my porior 1 I get an error from all the video players I have that there is a codec issue. Any idea why?

I have Windows 10, and the latest Cakewalk version.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Jimlau

Most people only drop the video into cakewalk as a guide to score the music to. Once you have your music track you export it as a wave file and drag it to the original in your video editing software. The quality of the video in Cakewalk is not the greatest. 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Most people only drop the video into cakewalk as a guide to score the music to. Once you have your music track you export it as a wave file and drag it to the original in your video editing software. The quality of the video in Cakewalk is not the greatest. 

I don't use it as a video editor.  I just import a finished video. I don't want the audio to degrade by having it rendered again in a video editor. Would quality suffer if I have to render the audio twice, once in Cakewalk, once in a video editor?

Anyway, it works on 1 of my computers. I guess no 1 knows what I need to download for the codec to work?

No, audio quality will not suffer if all your setting and levels are set up correct.  Usually the default settings.

I send pic references for mixes all the time.  I use to do it the way the others describe,  it use to be the most efficient way with Cake doing the audio rendering and a video app rendering the picture.  That rendering process was the quickest and I had more flexibility choosing the video format for my clients who mostly worked with Macs. But recent cakewalk updates have made that unnecessary.  I wish I could help you with the codes thing, but I'm just a button pusher when it comes to that stuff.   

All I know now, is that I export a video file from Cake, choose export MPEG4 video and everything works...and works well.

Thank you Cakewalk bakers again!

The video editor I use Movie Studio Platinum or what was Sony Vegas is  as capable as any DAW with its audio. I can use most of my audio plug ins and it seems to use any wave audio format I drop in there. 
Sound Forge is even built in. 

When I make music videos I might have 3 cameras with audio. I simply take my Cakewalk export of the song and line it up using the count in.  I then kill all the camera audio.  Because i use backing tracks they always sync up 

Edited by John Vere

• 11 months later...

It's rather sad that this got neglected... You won't be expected to touch anything on the material..eg. the Spitfire Audio — Bridgerton Scoring Competition

But there's a lot more going on other than yapping to make choices etc...

I'm new to this stuff and the competition closed the day I found out about it.. but you can still download the material for trying your hand... perhaps if you try you could get hold of past year comps as well..

I made a joke that you could just slap Marcy Playground's Poppies...  on the clip and side compress it to get out of the way…  It became a pet monkey and I just had to try it.. The short opening dialogue sounds like a spot they would use to tune the compression... typical cinema stuff...  but 6 seconds later you have to get to a second composition that are more personal to the antics of and character of the movie.. but composed to fit the holes or bounce around the visual contradictions and narrative.... so compression is not going to do all the work...  then you could bring back the poppies song here and there.... alternating...   You could make a map of the holes and spaces that effect composition and try to weld that way... but I don't think you would do great scenic composition for scoring if you can't do ALOT of instant full previews..

Just a set of codec love should be all cakewalk needs. You just need that preview to work...

Edited by Pappa G..

Seems this feature is not working at all for me... I split the audio in shotcut, deleted the track.. disabled audio and exported the video as MOV in PAL 720x..

I was hoping you could at least get the original sound track to jibe with a preview quality render of the footage and then when it's all done you just add your track to the original quality and export.... but NOOOOOooo... 🙂

The thumbnails generate and frame thumbs show but the video preview window does nothing.. and the Animate is ticked when I right click the output window...

I take back what I said earlier... Cakewalk had no issues being the "All I needed" for this... at the original resolution etc... I had no need to use anything else..

It's a few hours after the closing of the competition... but I wanted to demonstrate/try out side compression.. some entrants did not do any.. and a little monkey started following me with a gun....

The announcer that read out the rules little clue made sense eventually.. you have to end up recording your stuff to an aux track.. so that the little tracking elements of the soundtrack alter your contribution and not the other way around... You have to end up without any effects or compressors etc.. I think this might have given the impression for some that they are not allowed to use side compression..  It is a little trick because bouncing to tracks won't work etc... so if you missed the "recording only your stuff to a bus and aux track method"... there you go..

You end up with a track that are sync locked but does not alter the existing audio tracks..

I tweeted the record label.. ever since I heard this song.. I imagined it in a soundtrack context.. but my  lil comp is in there...

https://youtu.be/ztKTBwdAjUE

Edited by Pappa G..