Transposing FXReverb (32bit) settings to another reverb...

Lisa Will

I looked at Sonitus Reverb and I'm trying to match the settings from FXReverb. They are seemingly different....

My main goal is to get my 32-bit old stuff to work in 64-bit. 

So I need to get the FXReverb settings into another reverb that'll work in 64-bit.

Any ideas about transposing the setting to another reverb that closely matches?

Thanks!

Lisa W.

What is FXReverb?

What I would do if I were trying to match two different reverb plug-ins to each other is, first, realize that it's not going to be a perfect match, then just go down the list of available parameters like time, damping, room size, whatever, and copy as many as I could.

Sonitus fx reverb is a place to start, or BREVERB, both come with Cakewalk. For free alternatives, Oril River and MCharmVerb.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

What is FXReverb?

FXReverb was one of several FX tools that either came with SONAR/Cakewalk or could be downloaded from the site many years ago--before your time.  From the *.chm file:

The FXReverb provides very dense and warm reverberation with 32-bit floating point implementation. This eliminates the digital grunge and harshness that occurs even in the best studio reverberation systems, which are implemented using less advanced fixed point processing.

The FXReverb provides extremely high efficiency, typically using half of the CPU load of other premium reverb plug-ins.

Note: You can automate the parameters of most Fx effects. See "Automating Individual Effects' Parameters" in Chapter 11 of the SONAR User's Guide.

Edited by User 905133
to remove the *.chm file (only shows headers)
  • Like 1

Not sure what happened with the upload, but I just get the headings, too. The Introduction is as quoted above. No image in the chm file.  Will try to get the panel on my XP PCI can't find a program that will let me access those FX.

The pdf of the SONAR 3 User Guide also has a section similar to the "Using FXReverb" details. 

The pdf of the SONAR 8.5 Reference Guide has a panel.  [images removed 2022-03-31]

Edited by User 905133
Images deleted to reduce digital foorprint

If the motion depth is set to 0 in fxReverb you should be able to set the sonitus reverb to match, but you'll probably have to do some tweaking. If the motion depth is greater than 0 then you need to create a send bus and put the reverb on that and add modulation before or after the reverb. You can use sonitus modulator and try ensemble or string phaser mode on the modulator. HTH.

Matching any two reverbs is going to be a challenge, because they'll have different controls and different implementations for each parameter. Even something as standard as reverb time won't necessarily be the same, e.g. one reverb decides it's the time to -70 dB and another to -60 dB. Most parameters won't have precise units that you can manually enter, e.g. modulation depth or the LFO frequency for modulation rate. One might have a 6dB/octave HPF and the other a 12dB/octave filter.

Faced with your challenge, I would go project-by-project, toggling between the old and new reverbs and listening. It's about all you can do. I can't imagine any shortcuts to make it any easier.

On second thought, if I was faced with your challenge, I'd be inclined to just leave the old reverb in place if it sounds good. As long as the plugin still works, there really isn't any  great benefit to replacing a 32-bit plugin with a 64-bit plugin. 

• Like 2