Change Default Folder For Samples

Jimlau

My SSD drives that hold instrument sample libraries have changed. When I load Kontakt, it asks me to find the location of library samples. It asks me each time. How can I avoid having to manually direct where the samples are? I don't have this issue with installing libraries,  but I do with instrument that require using the File tab, not the Library tab.

Thanks.

Create a symbolic link where your libraries used to be, using the mklink command. Kontakt will think they're still at the old location but Windows will actually silently redirect it to the new folder.

For example, let's say you move the Kontakt 5 factory library from drive c: to drive d:. I don't remember what the default installation path is, but for purposes of this example assume the old path was c:\Kontakt\Kontakt Factory Library, and now you've moved it to d:\Kontakt\Kontakt Factory Library. Presumably, you also deleted the original folder.

Open a command prompt and type the following:

c:

cd \

mklink /D Kontakt d:\Kontakt

That's it. Now, when Kontakt looks for the old folder named "Kontakt" on drive c:, it'll find it. It will look just like the real folder and all programs will treat it as the real folder, but none of the data is actually on the c: drive.

• Like 1