Audio engine locking out other apps

Martin Vigesaa

When I have cakewalk open, it often, but not always prevents playing audio files outside of Cakewalk,  e.g. Windows Media Player, or YouTube...

I have tried checking "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk is Not in Focus"  but this perhaps is not what i'm looking for?

I basically what the audio engine to allow multiple apps to use my audio device.  This always worked with my old Windows 7 machine, but with my new Windows 10 setup it seems intermittent and possibly varies with the order I open apps..   Often I have to resort to rebooting the PC just to play an audio file on another app..   I have looked into multiple windows and Cakewalk settings but can't seem to find the correct combination.  

768482249_Suspendaudioengine.PNG.6c12f2e3055e252716375ebf7436240e.PNG

My PC Info:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB

System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows:

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎4/‎17/‎2021
OS build    19042.1165
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

It should always work if you use the native Windows drivers. It can work with some interfaces that are set to ASIO with Cakewalk, but can also play back via Windows drivers if specified in the (ever-changing and confusing) "sounds" control panel. If you describe what interface you're using, that could help come up with a solution.

Frankly - and remember, I use Windows for all my music and video work - this is an area where the Mac's Core Audio is way ahead. But Windows is catching up. Hopefully before too terribly long, the Windows native drivers will equal what ASIO can do.

9 hours ago, Martin Vigesaa said:

When I have cakewalk open, it often, but not always prevents playing audio files outside of Cakewalk,  e.g. Windows Media Player, or YouTube...

Windows and Cakewalk need to be set to the same sample rate for this to work . . . when a major Windows Update occurs, I've found it resets the sample rate without asking my permission, oh yeah.

Hi Martin I have exactly the same problem , and Ive given up I even sent my audio interface back to Thomann to get it checked out , they found no fault and sent it back without charge ( fantastic company) since Ive re installed it it doesnt have to be re-bootedand works pefecty ... but I´m not holding my breath because when I switch from you tude to cake walk there is a clumpfft and it then works , you have my sympathy maybe try re installing the driver or an  upgraded driver .. I wish you luck ....

• 3 weeks later...