Jesse Jost

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Celebration

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Contest [Closed]  

977 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What feature area would you like us to focus on next?

• Audio editing
    • Instruments and effects
    • MIDI editing
    • Songwriting tools
    • UI / UX

I use Cakewalk for every project I work on. It's my favorite DAW, and it was my favorite back since X1/X2 was around. I was using Reaper for a little while until Bandlab revived Cakewalk, then I came back and fell in love again.

• Like 1

Im a cakewalk user since 1994 on windows 3.1

I still have 2 floppies of cakewalk apprentice and cakewalk professional

Then i had every version from cakewalk pro audio 4 till sonar platinum... and now the bandlab edition

I am a composer/arranger/producer of oriental music

And i really love this software

Regards

• Thanks 1

Now that BandLab has delivered on its promise, it's easy to forget the panic that set in when it seemed that not only would there be no more Sonar, but the years of projects that had been done in Sonar were in jeopardy due to future OS or hardware changes.

As to what I'd like to see BandLab concentrate on next...make those great plug-ins and instruments  available again! Think of all the new users who haven't had a chance to experience the Concrete Limiter, Rapture Pro, the Adaptive Limiter, etc.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I voted for "Instruments and Effects" but would like to throw in a little UI/UX. Z3TA+2 is my favorite VST instrument. I want to see it continued and expanded, but the UI is a little clumsy and could use some tweaking.

• Thanks 1

I voted for songwriting tools so Cakewalk can catch up to competition for one but hoping Staff view and Matrix view get some love. Thought with Jesse in the fold again he would of been able to update the Matrix. I agree with Craig for the instruments and plug-ins  getting added but I don't think that should take away from the other areas because they were already done. Cakewalk start selling them again🤗   Granted RapturePro could use some fine tuning but it is a great VST now.

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority - I voted for UI/UX.    Things like nested folder tracks + CV folders, clip gain visuals, take lane sizing/zoom, etc..     The recently added indicator for Ripple Editing was one of those UI things that was so needed and so appreciated. 

Oh...    and happy birthday, Cakewalk!     You sure have grown up fast.     😊

• Like 1

Very cool of you guys to do this.

thank you for this past year. It has been awesome 👏.

• Like 1

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS CAKEWALK¡¡¡¡ En México somos una comunidad que esta creciendo y que disfruta utilizar este increible software, comence a usar Cakewalk cuando era la versión Proaudio 6 by Twelvetones, fue increiblemente divertido, amo mi software, amo producir en el, muchas gracias BANDLAB por haberle permitido seguir vivo, abrazo fuerte :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SteveC said:

I guess I'm in the minority - I voted for UI/UX.    Things like nested folder tracks + CV folders, clip gain visuals, take lane sizing/zoom, etc..     The recently added indicator for Ripple Editing was one of those UI things that was so needed and so appreciated. 

Oh...    and happy birthday, Cakewalk!     You sure have grown up fast.     😊

It is funny in a way because Cakewalk has been around a long time a lot of the areas in the poll need fine tuning. I agree with the nested folder tracks. I have wanted that for a long time.

I voted for Songwriting Tools, but I guess in reality, all of the others contribute to the songwriting experience.

My main wish is better cross project support, i.e. being able to simply copy a bunch of tracks (instruments, audio, MIDI, automation etc) from one project to another. Ripple editing is great for in-project arranging, but just being able to take 8 or 16 bars from another project and make it your middle 8 in the current project would be fantastic.

Instrument tracks could do with an overhaul as well IMO, so instead of having to split/combine Audio & MIDI tracks, it would be nice if you could just expand/collapse them as needed. Support for instrument tracks with one synth/multiple outputs would be good too.

+1 for nested folders, although I would suggest going a stage further and allowing several folder "views". So instead of a track living inside a tree of folders, the tracks are just tracks, and the folder tree is just a view on them - kind of like plugin layouts. That way you can have separate folder layouts for tracking & mixing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi! I've been using cakewalk since the cakewalk pro audio daw came out. I would love to see the interface a little less cluttered for easier work flow, something more like PreSonus studio one which has a wicked fast work flow. But for the most part, along side the other pro daws, cakewalk by bell  lab reigns!! 

Posted (edited)

When it was announced that Cakewalk was shut down, I meditated and got very calm. I simply "knew" that my favorite DAW/studio tool would continue to "be". So, I was quite delighted to hear about BandLab's action/choice and have been completely satisfied with every update since! Keep it up, gang! I'm over here cheering you all on!

ps I started on PA9 after a computer whiz kid played me his CD totally done in the box. I knew that was the next step for my 32 track MDM DA38 set up and have never looked back!

Edited by Michael Parson-McNamara
  • Like 1

I've been on Sonar since 4,  then 8, then X3. I was really surprised how drastic the change was between 8 and the Skylite IU. I absolutely hated it at 1st. I really hope that Bandlab keeps the same UI. It took quite some effort to re learn the it. Id rather be working on music than relearning how to use the daw.  One improvement that  I'd really like to see is how the plugins and synths are done. I really like how protools have their plugins layed out. There just there, without having to open the synth view, don't have to scroll through plugins to see what you have. You just click on the plug-in space, and choose.  In Cakewalk, you have to right click, then select what type of plugin, then the plug-in name.  There is a very small plus symbol you can click on, but it's just not as easy as protools. I did notice the changes to sends, it's alot easier to send to another buss now than it was.  It would also be really nice to be able to record audio on an instrument track, like you can with Harrison Mixbus.  I really love Cakewalk, and tried other daws to find a better workflow, but always return to Cakewalk. Even though I find other daws have a more efficient workflow, there's alot that they don't have or support. Having to repurchase all new plugins if protools changed the plug-in type is a complete joke, needing to have pro tools certified hardware to take full advantage of it is very cost prohibitive. Harrison Mixbus has better Macky controller surface integration, but it's buggy and lacks almost everything that Cakewalk has to offer.  With my Behringer Xtouch, you need custom templates to use it with Cakewalk. My Behringer Motor49 doesn't work at all without having to use 3rd party .dll files with Cakewalk. Again, with Harrison Mixbus, each button, knob, and fader just works. I'd really like to see much better Macky protocol support.  

Keep up the great work guys, Cakewalk is by far the best if them all!

My suggestions are as follows. 

Improvements to the sequencer. The pattern sequencer of XO is the best application of the idea in my opinion. 

A chord track. A blend of the best bits of the implementation of the concept in Studio One, Waveform and Cubase would be excellent. 

More MIDI FX. Midi FX that can help generate melodies, base etc. 

A native samplers. One along the lines of Studio One's Impact XT and one along the lines of Waveform's Multisampler. 

In conclusion, I believe that workflow improvements are the best way to improve a DAW. And I believe that these suggestions will improve Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

• Like 2

yo estoy Encantado con Cakewalk! estoy grabando mi nuevo proyecto en el. y aparte estoy ayudando a que otras personas lo utilicen! y la verdad! el proyecto va muy bien! y sin problemas! muy muy muy contento co Cakewalk y con Bandlab !  GRACIAS!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm another long time Cakewalk user that has tried most other DAWS and have ended up back using Cakewalk by Bandlab. It's my favourite

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

Congrats to the Cakewalk team and to BandLab for keeping the dream alive. Now where is the Chord Track/detection (ala Studio One) and Song Arranger (ala Reaper)? 

I voted audio editing and googled this. 🤩 It's a must have!

My FR about audiosamples would be solved when i can master selected regions with a playlist like that.

First time using Sonar and I am amazed by the sound quality of the mixing desk and effects. Thank you for the hard work!

• Thanks 1