Jesse Jost

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Celebration

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Contest [Closed]  

977 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What feature area would you like us to focus on next?

• Audio editing
    • Instruments and effects
    • MIDI editing
    • Songwriting tools
    • UI / UX

I recently tried Harrison Mixbus 32c v.5.  Cakewalk is still way better in UI and work flow. I've tried a lot of DAW's, and nothing has surpassed my experience with Cakewalk. I'll be using it for a very long time that I can guarantee.  Thanks to Bandlab and the Cakewalk team!

• Like 1

Would like to see some re=focus on midi and temp mapping in particular.  I am indeed proud to be a part of this revival of Cakewalk, as I have been with this software from the early midi days.  Thank you for your efforts and accomplishments, no matter which way you go.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:39 AM, Dj spoiltkid said:

I am so happy for what Cakewalk is doing. The only area I have been crying out for an improvement is in audio and midi editing. There is a way bandlab can simply editing to beat other daws like cubase. Clip gain can be made simpler by just hovering mouse on it and lifting it up or down....this should affect the wave to show the impact on the wave size. I also pleaded Cakewalk to make duplicating of notes, quantization and many others to be improved too. I just hope all this about audio and midi is fixed because I am tired of visiting other daws. Thanks to the bandlab crew. I just wish I could be the lucky winner of the giveaway🙊 because I have ever been thinking when I will ever get that😤

You can currently hold down the CTRL key while using the Smart editing tool and drag up and down to adjust clip gain. Granted, it's not a very advertised feature -- took me years to figure that out. 😂

• Like 2

Happy Anniversary Cakewalk by Bandlab.  

It's been an exciting year of new and upgraded features which we all love to use.  You have truly outdone yourselves.

I started with the original product with version 2.2XL and I have never looked back.  BandLab, you have only made it better. 👍

Keep up the great work!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Feral State Sound said:

Come on... Who is the winner? 😜

He / she who gets the email in May 15.  It's sometime today .
Anyway, I'm glad Audio Editing wins the poll. I voted for MIDI Editing though. Congrats to the winner!

• Like 2

I'm ansy for the relaunch of the monetized modules/plugins. I only recently got back into Cakewalk and missed the boat on getting them.

Hurry up and take my money! Lol

19 minutes ago, Michael Grathwohl said:

I'm ansy for the relaunch of the monetized modules/plugins. I only recently got back into Cakewalk and missed the boat on getting them.

Hurry up and take my money! Lol

If you have GAS, then you need to visit the "Deals" forum, LOL! cclarry can assist you with spending your money!

But I do agree with the Cakewalk plugin relaunch, as I missed the boat on Rapture Pro. It would be nice to see that one available again!

On 5/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, Shayne White said:

You can currently hold down the CTRL key while using the Smart editing tool and drag up and down to adjust clip gain. Granted, it's not a very advertised feature -- took me years to figure that out. 😂

That's not what am talking about cuz I already know that feature exist. I migrated from cubase and it's just a thing of hovering over the clip and you drag up or down to lower or gain the clip....then the waveform follows suit. In Cakewalk sonar there is no change in waveform but just a thick red horizontal line which to me is not doing the job. I need to see visually the amount of reduction or gain. Also I talked about a feature for duplication of clips...in cubase it's "Control D" and you are just fine to any number of clip duplication you want being aligned sequentially. I know people who have used this in cubase will understand what I mean. Thanks

5 hours ago, Dj spoiltkid said:

In Cakewalk sonar there is no change in waveform but just a thick red horizontal line which to me is not doing the job. I need to see visually the amount of reduction or gain.

This was already discussed here:

...so there's a hope! :) 

5 hours ago, Dj spoiltkid said:

Also I talked about a feature for duplication of clips...in cubase it's "Control D" and you are just fine to any number of clip duplication you want being aligned sequentially. I know people who have used this in cubase will understand what I mean.

In Cakewalk I'm used to set the snap grid to measure or whatever needed and then ctrl+drag the clip (or clips), quick and dirty. I know ctrl+D is very popular among other DAWs but I'm for example not coming from another DAW so I never felt the need for it, especially that I rarely work with clips that have both ends aligned perfectly to measure lines, so I have to use 'snap by' option most of the time. Others might do differently.

7 hours ago, Dj spoiltkid said:

That's not what am talking about cuz I already know that feature exist. I migrated from cubase and it's just a thing of hovering over the clip and you drag up or down to lower or gain the clip....then the waveform follows suit. In Cakewalk sonar there is no change in waveform but just a thick red horizontal line which to me is not doing the job. I need to see visually the amount of reduction or gain. Also I talked about a feature for duplication of clips...in cubase it's "Control D" and you are just fine to any number of clip duplication you want being aligned sequentially. I know people who have used this in cubase will understand what I mean. Thanks

@Dj spoiltkidYou can already duplicate clips using paste special. Its the same thing you are describing. Just copy a clip set the cursor where you want to paste and choose edit | paste special. Set the number of repetitions and it will duplicate the clips. See screenshot.

duplicate.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Dj spoiltkidYou can already duplicate clips using paste special. Its the same thing you are describing. Just copy a clip set the cursor where you want to paste and choose edit | paste special. Set the number of repetitions and it will duplicate the clips. See screenshot.

duplicate.PNG

I know about this and it ain't the same. Very easy with control D and the clips aligns well along so fast. Cakewalk knows about this and it will not take you guys anything and closing down paste special cuz for me it's not cool. Paste special is a long process. Many apps understands control D for duplication and Cakewalk should work that way too or it should be provided as a preference so people that need it go with it by setting it up themselves and people that love work around will continue with their long time option😫 I need this feature badly I don't want to be doing anything else on another day. Thanks

• Meh 2

Posted (edited)

Been using cakewalk since 98

Today after reloading sessions to print through outboard i discovered plugin settings for multiple plugin instances changed on their own throwing my entire month's worth of work out of wack. I've used cakewalk for 2 decades simply because it worked, period and that's all that mattered.

It's not easy to lose clients n face devastating setbacks at the hands of a buggy daw. I understand that it's a free software, but with that said I'm not sure that the now 'Cakewalk Bandlab' would be suitable for those that are power/professional users.  I'd much rather Pay for a copy of  Cakewalk Bandlab and have it return to it's functional days than to have a useless, Free Daw with no workaround to it's crippling issue.  I hope that the folks at Bandlab would correct the buggy issues that literally makes the DAW useless, costing people time, money and clients as I also wish everyone a speedy recovery from the losses that came with these bugs.  Cheers.

Edited by Ramir Hernandez

5 hours ago, Ramir Hernandez said:

Been using cakewalk since 98

Today after reloading sessions to print through outboard i discovered plugin settings for multiple plugin instances changed on their own throwing my entire month's worth of work out of wack. I've used cakewalk for 2 decades simply because it worked, period and that's all that mattered.

It's not easy to lose clients n face devastating setbacks at the hands of a buggy daw. I understand that it's a free software, but with that said I'm not sure that the now 'Cakewalk Bandlab' would be suitable for those that are power/professional users.  I'd much rather Pay for a copy of  Cakewalk Bandlab and have it return to it's functional days than to have a useless, Free Daw with no workaround to it's crippling issue.  I hope that the folks at Bandlab would correct the buggy issues that literally makes the DAW useless, costing people time, money and clients as I also wish everyone a speedy recovery from the losses that came with these bugs.  Cheers.

With a problem of this magnitude, you didn't give much detail. What plug ins ? What settings (custom or presets) ? What kind of tracks audio or midi ?

Bandlab has asked users to send in projects that display this behavior. In order to fix bugs which you speak of, Bandlab needs to see/have examples. I personally haven't had these issues but if I did, I would explain in great detail my issue and also upload the CWP file here so the developers can look at it. Your comment here sounds like pure frustration, which I can understand that, but how do you expect them to fix issues when users wont give details ?

The choice is yours.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply! The tracks were all audio and the plugins were mostly by  Waves, JST and Fab Filter. I have also tried reaching them and I couldn't seem to find any contact info or means to get to them on from their website. It's either that or there is no real support, which is a bit unfortunate as there are a lot of other users that have expressed these concerns online. There is also an engineer/youtuber and a few other folks that have addressed this very issue in great detail many times on video uploads and in forums in hopes of getting through to their support team with absolutely  no luck so far.  It is indeed frustrating and that's because we all love cakewalk and would like the best for the company, but to have an on going problem that seems to be neglected by their support is a little odd.

00B35FAA-FF3C-44EE-ABC9-52DB6AAD4D11.jpeg

Edited by Ramir Hernandez

@Ramir Hernandez

I'm sorry your experience has been so negative.  I've followed Chuck E Baby's advice with great results.  I've received quick responses to my support requests for both BandLab and Cakewalk issues by submitting a report at this link:  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  Attaching a copy of your project file  along with a detailed description of your issue will help the developers understand the issue you are experiencing.

I believe it is important to submit report requests.  In addition to providing information that identifies and helps resolve your specific issue, it provides the developers real life information that can be used to stabilise the program and make the program more failure resistant.  This not only helps you but also other users.

I've submitted three reports, two to Cakewalk and one to BandLab.  Each time I received an initial response within 24 hours.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, fogle622 said:

submitting a report at this link:  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new 

I was going to suggest the same thing!!

@Ramir HernandezI have used this Daw (Sonar, CbB) in all its forms (expect DOS).  I can also say that the bug you talking about has happened to me more than once. It was also happening to another forum user. He and I tried our best to get reproducible steps but never could. I can tell you that the dev's will respond to you if you give them info they can work with.  

It has happened to me recently and I received some advice on what to do next time it happens. If it happens to anyone reading this, don't save the project as is. Save it under a different name. Close the buggy project without saving and send that project file to the support link Jim gives above with a description of what happened.  I have helped the Devs on this issue and know that they want to fix it as much as anybody here. We just gotta get the right info/reproducible steps so they can figure out what is that's causing the issue. I think if we all work together on this we can get it worked out and fixed!

• Like 1