Jesse Jost

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Celebration

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Contest [Closed]  

977 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What feature area would you like us to focus on next?

• Audio editing
    • Instruments and effects
    • MIDI editing
    • Songwriting tools
    • UI / UX

Why not borrow some ideas from the OpenSource world? I don't mean open the source to the product, but I would recommend the following:

1. BugTracker - Setup a bugtracker that is visible to the community and allow them to post issues (Like how JetBrains does it)
  2. Make the BugTracker your backlog
  3. Allow the community to vote on your backlog so you can rank them for your sprints
  4. Show the community your progress on your sprints

If you were to do something like this with total visibility into what you are working on, it would allow the community to be engaged and feel like they are helping in the development of the product. This should turn into a strong marketing strategy that could be leveraged to customer on-boarding.

Reaper is popular because it works and it's cheap - If the assets of this product are managed with community support, Cakewalk by Bandlab could become the defacto DAW for professional and beginner music recording.

Not sure if anyone else agrees but it's an interesting prospect, so Happy Birthday and here is to a future where this investments enables the company to grow into new markets and gain a following of passionate individuals.

Regards,

Wayne

• Like 4

I used Cakewalk in the 90s to compose music with. It's a great song writing tool. Had a break when I got married, then purchased lifetime updates and was so relieved when Bandlab stepped up to make it all no in vain. I still use Cakewalk for song writing today.

I picked up Samplitude during the Great Panic just in case Sonar ever stopped working but the layout and workflow aren't as user friendly...thank goodness for Bandlab and the Great Rescue! :)

Cakewalk products(and now Cakewalk the application) have always hit the right spot for me...less anal than Cubase...better Midi than Pro Tools...more musician oriented than Fruity Loops, etc. As long as you keep the Record button I'll be a happy user!

Bill

As the almost lonely german Pro User I am always glad whenb there is some movement. I like so much you did without loosing the focus on  beeing for WORKING...
But I have to say...some implimentation like "Chordpads" and progression could actually even inspire those of us, who come from a "real musical backround..."
The difference between "having no clue" and "beeing just tired" sometimes isnt that big in your daily routine.

Keep on groovin´

Chillwalker

• Like 1

It was a long time in 2005 when I had a SONAR.

After years of learning DAWS, Computer Music, I switched back to SONAR which had a great price. This DAW has a big story, many years of work. And I think it's the most important DAW for Windows users.

Now we have all of it in a free product which is good and should be better. Polls and feedback loop are the main sources to move on)

Posted (edited)

I would like some more EDM and Song Writing Refinements. Like a mad combination of Reason, Ableton and FLstudio. The electronic music market is huge.  Please make the step sequencer in BLC the best in the world. 

Edited by Francois van der Merwe

11 hours ago, Johnny Sonar said:

Bandlab needs to iron the audio engine/ midi engine/memory issues..forget about the bells and whistles, they are pointless unless you have a rock-solid DAW .

This^  I think especially the audio engine needs some work that it performs less resource hungry.

I like Cakewalk, it is surely the best DAW and even free. Congratulation to this successful year and thanks for the user enquiries. I am impressed of your ear to the user community .

I use StudioOne as my main DAW... but I want to get into Cakewalk as my secondary DAW.  Because It can to many nice things which I really like. But it keeps me pushing away since it lacks some basic function that StudioOne or FL Studio has. Or maybe I am not aware of them. 

Like - How to transpose MIDI notes by semitones or by octave with keyboard shortcuts. in Studio one, I can do it by pressing up and down arrow key for semitones and shift+arrow keys for octaves.

How to rewind forward or jump to start with a keyboard shortcut.

How to override the "snap" option temporarily. in Studio One I can do it by pressing shift.

Hope to get some help with this... 

Thank you for making this awesome DAW freely available. Keep up the good work. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TuneIn said:

How to rewind forward or jump to start with a keyboard shortcut.

"W" normally rewinds to the start

CTRL + PgUp / PgDown will fast forward/rewind

1 hour ago, TuneIn said:

How to override the "snap" option temporarily. in Studio One I can do it by pressing shift.

"N" toggles the snap option

1 hour ago, TuneIn said:

Like - How to transpose MIDI notes by semitones or by octave with keyboard shortcuts. in Studio one, I can do it by pressing up and down arrow key for semitones and shift+arrow keys for octaves.

This can be done by assigning keyboard shortcuts to some CAL scripts.

So, in notepad, create a TRANSPOSEUP.CAL and paste in the following:

(do
    (forEachEvent
        (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
            (do
                (+= Note.Key 1)
            )
        )
    )
)

Then save it in C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\CAL Scripts

Go into Keyboard Shortcuts, and assign a key to that CAL script.

You can then do the same for:

TRANSPOSEDOWN.CAL:

(do
    (forEachEvent
        (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
            (do
                (-= Note.Key 1)
            )
        )
    )
)

TRANSPOSEUP12.CAL (octave up) :

(do
    (forEachEvent
        (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
            (do
                (+= Note.Key 12)
            )
        )
    )
)

TRANSPOSEDOWN12.CAL (octave down) :

(do
    (forEachEvent
        (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
            (do
                (-= Note.Key 12)
            )
        )
    )
)
Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Vote for me was a bit difficult depending what angle to look at it from. I end up voting for plugins and instruments. I feel focus should be in fixing bugs and adding virtual instruments.  Currently effects are fine but i'd love to get some of the missing ones back so i can remove sonar installation. :P  I would imagine current set of virtual instruments is a bit of turn off for new users, especially for ones that are not that experienced in the first place.

Edited by 0wly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

"N" toggles the snap option

This was a great help.... Thank you..... But about the snap what I need to know is.... for example... I am moving a MIDI note... when the snap is on, it will snap to the grid... but I want it slightly off the grid to achieve humanization. So while holding the note if I press "shift" it will override the snap temporarily. I will have the note wherever I want and then  I release the "shift" key, the snap option turns back on... I hope I am making sense. 

Thanks Bandlab for keeping this great software going. To offer such an epic DAW for free is amazing in itself and even though I own Sonar X3, I now use CbB all the time. It looks better, is set out better and incorporates loads of new features that I love. Clear thinking has really paid off. Keep it up. Here's to another 25 years, hopefully with the Bandlab name attached to it. Happy Birthday Cakewalk :)

26 minutes ago, Magus Megorra said:

Keep it up. Here's to another 25 years, hopefully with the Bandlab name attached to it. Happy Birthday Cakewalk :)

In about 10 years the bakers will be able to call Cakewalk "42". So then CbB will be the answer to EVERYTHING.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TuneIn said:

This was a great help.... Thank you..... But about the snap what I need to know is.... for example... I am moving a MIDI note... when the snap is on, it will snap to the grid... but I want it slightly off the grid to achieve humanization. So while holding the note if I press "shift" it will override the snap temporarily. I will have the note wherever I want and then  I release the "shift" key, the snap option turns back on... I hope I am making sense. 

I don't think there's any option to do that. You just need to get used to toggling it on/off.

In saying that, you could try playing about with the snap intensity so it doesn't automatically snap to the grid right away. You might find a sweet spot that works for both snap/no snap scenarios.

Using Cakewalk keeps my lights on and my bills paid. Faithfully yours since Cakewalk 3.4, which shipped on one 1.44mb stiffy disc. How far we've come!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, msmcleod said:
4 hours ago, TuneIn said:

I don't think there's any option to do that. You just need to get used to toggling it on/off.

In saying that, you could try playing about with the snap intensity so it doesn't automatically snap to the grid right away. You might find a sweet spot that works for both snap/no snap scenarios.

How about using 'Nudge'?  e.g. set 'Nudge 1' to 10 ticks. You can move selected MIDI notes with 1 or 3 on numeric keys.

Edited by HIBI