Jesse Jost

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Celebration

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Contest [Closed]  

977 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What feature area would you like us to focus on next?

• Audio editing
    • Instruments and effects
    • MIDI editing
    • Songwriting tools
    • UI / UX

Cakewalk forever! 

Since 8.0.

I don't care that no one seem to support it. Or that my brand new KeyLab Mkii came w/ templates for every other daw but Cakewalk. Or that it's free. Or.. 

I've been a Cakewalk user since the first version of Cakewalk, when it was all midi without audio.  I've loved the evolution all along the way and am happy it's still kickin'.

Posted (edited)

Happy Anniversary Cakewalk by BandLab!  Thanks for being here!

I voted for improved MIDI handling and editing .   Cakewalk has been MIDI orientated since the beginning so it should be the dominant MIDI daw and sequencer.   I fear that it is not.

New MIDI standards were released for prototyping trials at the 2019 NAMM.  This is the first major extensive enhancement to the MIDI standard in a very long time.  The enhancements offer an opportunity to overhaul or improve MIDI in Cakewalk.

The MIDI Manufacturers Association statement said in part,

All companies that develop MIDI products are encouraged to join the MMA to participate in the future development of the specification, and to keep abreast of other developments in MIDI technology.

Ableton and MOTU are two DAW developers that joined the party and are association members.  Cakewalk can not regain MIDI leadership as long as it remains on the outside instead of leading from the inside.

Edited by fogle622

Exceedingly grateful for BandLab to give Cakewalk a new life.   I am not a founding member but got on board with Sonar 4 and updated through Platinum.  I still have a lot to learn but I am much improved.  Thank you. 

First time Cakewalk user here. Well I tried it in 2018, but didn't give it enough time. Came back in April 2019 after being fed up with constant menu diving and confusion in Reaper. 

One of the biggest surprises when I started exploring Cakewalk was the ability to use Mackie Control mode with my Korg Taktile 49 controller. Additional bonus was Active Controller Technology which I was not aware of at all. To be able to see what I'm controlling on a simple interface + automatic remapping and bank changes. I was blown away.

Of course there was some frustration when initially I couldn't figure out how to make ACT interact with my keyboard and VST plugins. It turned out I was trying too hard. All it took was a few simple steps. 

I appreciate all efforts to keep this DAW up and running. 

I'm a relatively new BL user and I'm impressed with the free DAW tie in (great idea) but, unfortunately, I'm a Mac user and Cakewalk seems to only be available for Windows. I'll keep an eye on it just in case development to port to other operating systems happens.

As a Sonar 8LE user (got with an APro 800 keyboard I really appreciate the work you guys have done to maintain and improve the software. As a mainly midi user I haven't explored all the additional features in the  Bandlab version but it's nice to know they are there. Thanks for keeping this great community together too!

Posted (edited)

I would like to see a little more done to audio editing.  I have been a Cakewalk and Sonar user for many years but when things looked to be going belly up I purchased Reaper.  In my opinion audio is more easily manipulated in Reaper than Cakewalk.  However, for editing MIDI and aesthetically I much prefer Cakewalk.

After the stuff I’ve been watching today however I think there may need to be a concentration on bug fixes.  Not that I am affected.

edit: I forgot to say thanks for keeping Cakewalk going.  I am fortunate enough to still have all the olde plugins that work well as well as a bunch of other plugins I tend to use these days.

Edited by reevant

Been using cakewalk since the floppy disk days (home studio 3.0) and I like where this is going. I hope comping can continue to be improved to be similar to personas studio one. Also hope that the screen. Jews can get a tad easier to setup

A massive thank you and much love to you all at Bandlab 💖

You have saved mine and I'm sure many other Cakewalk users sanity by not only saving the Cakewalk name and DAW but also by improving it with incredible quality and free addons!

Mucho respeto abrazos y besos  👍

This is my favorite DAW!!! Better than a lot of the paid ones in my opinion! Thank you for all you do.