Jesse Jost

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Celebration

One Year of Cakewalk by BandLab Contest [Closed]  

977 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What feature area would you like us to focus on next?

• Audio editing
    • Instruments and effects
    • MIDI editing
    • Songwriting tools
    • UI / UX

15 hours ago, Dr. Méfi said:

Another issue: when I duplicate a track with a third party plugin, I can't see the option to automate the instrument in this second track like in the first.

Click on the synth in the synth rack and use the synth automation menu (J in the image below) to assign the automation to a track

Browser.11.1.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Kevin Lawrence said:

Greetings, First Thank You, Thank You....Thank You. and congratulations. I am also involved in video post and a production has really quashed my music time. I look forward to dedicating more time to the whole Bandlab experience

One very disturbing note: I have been a Roland Cloud subscriber for over a year, no real problems with the plugins, till now. Their TB-303 throws a fatal upon scanning. When I wrote Roland their response was dismissive. They flat out said sorry, if you are committed to bandlab, we don't support...

My clarifications made no difference "It is cakewalk SONAR. All of the other cloud products work fine." "Sorry, we don’t test with or support Roland Cloud with Bandlab. " Anyone else experiencing this industry behavior regarding our DAW?

050619_Roland Cloud TB-303 Support Fail.pdf

@Kevin Lawrence,

I downloaded and took a quick look at your pdf file.  I have to admit I'm not very surprised at the response you received.

I seriously doubt technical support responded but suspect instead the response came from staff especially hired to monitor and respond to social media.  Should they have responded as they did?  No.  They should have provided suggestions about contacting Roland Cloud's technical support.

My suggestions for you are:  (1) get back on Facebook Messenger, (2) request a supervisor contact you regarding an issue you experienced while using Messenger, (3) share the pdf file with the Roland Cloud Social Media supervisor that contacts you.  (4) Ask the supervisor the best contact method to reach the Roland Cloud Technical Support team for problem resolution.

Edited by fogle622

Congratulations on one year of Cakewalk. Like many others, my first DAW was Sonar, so I'm very happy you decided to continue making this software. 

There is a new way to separate vocals, drums etc in Acid Pro 9, to create stems that would be really great in Cakewalk .....

Jerry

Congratulations Bandlab on the one year of anniversary of Cakewalk!
Thank you for continuing to support and work of improving it! 

I voted for one, but I'd really like to vote for "All of the above."

When Gibson orphaned Cakewalk, I picked up Presonus Studio One, but I never really clicked with the UI and workflow. Then I tried Bitwig Studio... and that has become my main DAW. Why?

1. Rock solid performance. For a while, Cakewalk was crashing almost every time I used it, where it has never been an issue with Bitwig. I don't have many tracks, so I'm not sure why I have these issues. Incredibly frustrating, though!
  2. Advanced modulation and automation. Bitwig comes with a ton of modulators that can be assigned to any parameter in a VST. LFO, ASDR, random, and a whole host of other, more advanced modulation options. Cakewalk's automation isn't the worst, but being able to Shift-Drag to change the curve of an automation line in Bitwig is so intuitive.
  3. A sampler. A really fun, advanced sampler that rocks for sound design. This should really come standard with Cakewalk.
  4. A drum rack. Cakewalk has the Cyclone DXi, but it's seriously overdue for an update. (Looks like it came out in 2002?) And I think the Matrix was a step towards something really powerful, but it feels incomplete, and I think that piece of Cakewalk was just kind of abondoned. The drum rack in Bitwig allows you to bring audio clips into each pad, but you can also add other instruments on each pad (e.g., a sampler), with whatever FX or modulation you care to add.
  5. Ctrl-D to duplicate a clip or selected region on one or multiple tracks. Just so easy... Does anyone know a way to implement this in Cakewalk?
  6. Audio clip editing. I always felt like this was a pain to do in Cakewalk. In Bitwig, I can double-click an audio clip to open the editor. For example, if it's a drum loop, I can then select one hit, raise or lower the pitch or the volume, stretch it, or even reverse it, all within the clip, and all without digging through several layers of menus. I can adjust the timing of individual hits just by dragging transient markers, or I can quantize the clip. This is all possible in Cakewalk, but it's just much easier and more intuitive in Bitwig. (Oh, and I can even add pitch automation within the clip to create a tape slowdown effect. Necessary? No. Fun? Yes.)
  7. An intuitive and robust FX routing scheme. Too complex to explain without a video, but in one track you can have multiple layers and routings for FX. (BTW, this is the one thing that I really liked about Studio One. Being able to split a signal by stereo channel, mid-side channel, or frequency and then treat the splits separately? Nice.) ProChannel in Cakewalk was a cool addition, but I still have to use multiple sends and buses to achieve what I can easily do on one track in Bitwig or Studio One.

All that being said, there are at least a couple things that Cakewalk does really well:

1. The ProChannel's EQ and Compressor are just really good (esp. the EQ), and having a standard FX chain already added to every new track is a big time saver.
  2. Take lanes for recording and comping are great, too. Not perfect, but Bitwig has nothing comparable, so I keep coming back to Cakewalk when I'm recording audio.
  3. Screensets and keyboard shortcuts for changing the view. And really, the UI looks really good to me. I like the track colors, and being able to choose custom colors. (That's why I didn't go with Ableton Live: Life is too short to spend looking flat controls and all that gray.)
  4. The console view is also really good (IMO), especially with how the ProChannel is integrated. 

Crud. I just spent too much time on this when I should have been making music, but it's something that I care about. I really want Cakewalk to continue to grow and evolve.

I tried Studio One, and while it has a lot of features I like there are a lot of things in the workflow I find unintuitive.

I also have tried Bitwig, because I was a big P5 fan and I could see the influence.  Its fun, but one thing about it that keeps me from upgrading is that you can't audition midi clips in the browser.  Instead of playing to the selected track, or to an instrument you designate, it plays its own internal synth patch.  This is of limited usefulness for melodic content, and absolutely useless for auditioning midi drum loops.

I have wondered if the original developers have been holding onto their own personal 64 bit versions of Project 5.  I bet it would be fun to load a copy with some of my favorite bigger sample sets.

30 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

I have wondered if the original developers have been holding onto their own personal 64 bit versions of Project 5.

Well one of them is back at Cakewalk. Jesse Jost. Why don't you ask him nicely to get a crackin on it ☺️

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Well one of them is back at Cakewalk. Jesse Jost. Why don't you ask him nicely to get a crackin on it ☺️

That's @Jesse Jost

FIFY ;)

8 hours ago, InstrEd said:

maybe we should have made P5 and option in the poll 😂

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Jost said:

maybe we should have made P5 and option in the poll 😂

Make it so Number one. I mean Number 5.   I mean Jesse :)

Thank you all so much - we’re floored by the participation level here! Your supportive words and reflections on CbB mean a lot to us. 

Please be aware that the poll is now closed. We’ll notify a randomly selected winner by May 15, 2019. Who knows, the lucky winner just might be YOU! ;)

We’re very much looking forward to a second year with you, our ever growing family, continuing in the spirit of rebirth as we strive to bring the best to CbB.

With much gratitude,
The Bakers and all at BandLab

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Keep doing what you're doing.  You're making a lot of people very happy!

😀John B.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, InstrEd said:

I was aware of that.  Also notice he didn't deny having an illicit 64 bit homebrew version.

13 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

I was aware of that.  Also notice he didn't deny having an illicit 64 bit homebrew version.

Plausible deniability

What?   It could happen.   😉

1 hour ago, SteveC said:

Plausible deniability

What?   It could happen.   😉

I think that ship has sailed off into the sunset but it is nice to dream isn't it 😀

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

I think that ship has sailed off into the sunset but it is nice to dream isn't it 😀

Yep!    In November of 2017 it all fell apart.     Yet, here we are in May of 2019 and SONAR Cakewalk is going strong, better than ever.     P5 really does seem unlikely, but with Bandlab ya never know...