Listening bus

Max Arwood

I have tried several ways to implement this, but have not been happy with the way I set it up. If I have several buses going to a master bus, how do I make a listening bus with some extra plugins. I see it is now easy to export all but a listening bus.  How do I set up the routing so I hear the extra plugins but not export them? I saw a template here once but it was very complex. Could someone help with a simple version with explanation?  

Thanks!

One way is add a bus after the master bus. 

As long as all audio resolves to the master bus and the master bus is routed to another bus (I call it "To Mains") anything done this bus is heard in the monitors (or where ever this bus is routed).

When exporting always select the master bus. This bypasses any buses added after the master bus.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for a simple solution. On the new save features - could I do a template for master buy, is there a way to make the export function always do export from master bus? (other than using a saved template)?

Also, a special thanks for updating your tools. 

Using 2021.09 EA, I believe it is possible to create a preset to export the master bus or create a project template containing pre-defined tasks such as exporting the master bus.

Prior to 2021.09, I have never had a problem selecting the master bus for export and this still works in 2021.09 EA.

WRT my tools, you are welcome.

• Like 1

I have two “listening” Busses. Like scook the Master is routed to a MAINS buss. The mains buss has Izotope Insight and Tonal Balance and lastly IK’s ARC room correction plug. The Master buss also has a SEND to a HEADPHONES buss that has Sonarworks headphone correction plug. 

5 hours ago, scook said:

Using 2021.09 EA, I believe it is possible to create a preset to export the master bus or create a project template containing pre-defined tasks such as exporting the master bus.

Oh Boy!

5 hours ago, scook said:

Prior to 2021.09, I have never had a problem selecting the master bus for export and this still works in 2021.09 EA.

Yes, but I always have to deselect everything but the Master. 
So good news indeed!

t

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:36 AM, DeeringAmps said:

I have two “listening” Busses. Like scook the Master is routed to a MAINS buss. The mains buss has Izotope Insight and Tonal Balance and lastly IK’s ARC room correction plug. The Master buss also has a SEND to a HEADPHONES buss that has Sonarworks headphone correction plug. 

Oh Boy!

Yes, but I always have to deselect everything but the Master. 
So good news indeed!

t

2021.09 is what got me thinking about these again. Tom - How do you control these? So do you control these with a mixer or solo buses?

7 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

How do you control these?

Hey Max,
During PLAYBACK:
No need to "Solo" anything. The MAINS buss feeds the monitors.
While TRACKING:
If I have a mic open (vocals), I "Mute" the MAINS buss.
If I'm tracking guitar via a virtual amp or laying down a midi track, I'm listening to the monitors.
As to my studio setup, I have the luxury of three video screens and an 8 fader control surface.
CONSOLE view is in the far right screen and the control surface can do Tracks or Busses as needed.
Also the RME UFX (12 in, 8 out) interface has its own TotalMix software and I have preset "Scenes"
that bring up various in/out configurations, so a single click brings up the proper setup for Playback/Tracking.

My office rig is much "simpler", but the RME Babyface (2 in, 4 out) uses the same TotalMix software and I'm
listening to Playback via Phones (no monitors in the office any longer), if I'm tracking, its guitar via the "instrument"
input. The cool thing is Cakewalk doesn't care which interface the project is using since it "sees" a MAINS and
PHONES.

Now as to EXPORTING a mix/master, as stated above, I'm just now experimenting with the new features here on the office rig.
Hopefully I will no longer have to DE-SELECT everything except the MASTER buss when creating the final 2 track mix/master.

HTH, if I didn't make myself clear or you have further questions feel free to PM.

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

You can take this further. You could have 3 Busses with 3 different effect chains or settings of the same effects. 

You then have a Pre-Master bus which by simply changing it's output to one of those 3 busses can give you a good A/B/C of how your mix will sound. 

Then of course Mix Recall should do the same thing as well but not sure,  haven't tested it. 

• Great Idea 1

On 8/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, scook said:

One way is add a bus after the master bus. 

As long as all audio resolves to the master bus and the master bus is routed to another bus (I call it "To Mains") anything done this bus is heard in the monitors (or where ever this bus is routed).

When exporting always select the master bus. This bypasses any buses added after the master bus.

I remember when you first mentioned this, it made life much easier with Sonarworks.  With products like Slate's VSX and Waves CLA NX, this kind of listen function is becoming more important.

• Like 1

Thanks John Vere - That sure opens up some ideas how this can be used. Mix Recall - I tried it a little when it first came out, but it seemed slow on larger projects, but it is nice to know that it is there if you are having trouble deciding about a couple of mixes.

Tom - Wow I'm getting a bunch of ideas.  I could make a bus with a limiter set to export @ 14 LUFS add another Limiter on a 2nd bus and pump it to 12 LUFS and a 3rd bus from either of these set for MP3 export.  All in one pass.

I do wish we could archive plugins and bus effect bins. I guess that should be another thread.

Thanks for all the help from simple to as elaborate as you like (or have the horsepower to do)

• Like 1