Diamonds In The Rough

Lynn Wilson

Some of you may recall this song; I posted it on the old site about 2 years ago.  I received a ton of good advice, and I took notes but shelved this song, as I was getting worn from hearing it day after day.  Since then, I've acquired quite of bit of new software and hardware, and I've changed my mixing technique, so I dusted this song off and remixed it.  I took nearly all of the suggestions I received at the time, and here is the result: https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13638418

I've discovered that I like this song after all, and I hope you all do, as well.  It's still open for suggestions, so thanks to all who have helped in the past and the present!

p.s.- I inadvertently uploaded a 16/44.1 wave file to Soundclick, but it took it, so I'm curious to know if there are any conversion problems on anyone's system.

I remember this one.  I enjoyed it then and I really enjoyed it now.  To me the mix and performance sound great.  Your vocals and harmonies were particularly good as were the lyrics (they were also particularly poignant).  I got a bit of a worldbeat flavour from this song.  If I'm correct, congratulations on getting it right!

Excellent song and performance Lynn!!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 4:45 AM, daryl1968 said:

I enjoyed the song back then - still a good song. 

Mix-wise, I found the hi-hats distracting - I think they could be thinned out and brought down in volume - but otherwise good stuff

Daryl, thanks for listening to this song again.  Now that you mention it, the hi-hats are particularly loud in the intro and transition between verses.  I'll dial them down a notch.  This is what I'm looking for.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, freddy j said:

I remember this one.  I enjoyed it then and I really enjoyed it now.  To me the mix and performance sound great.  Your vocals and harmonies were particularly good as were the lyrics (they were also particularly poignant).  I got a bit of a worldbeat flavour from this song.  If I'm correct, congratulations on getting it right!

Excellent song and performance Lynn!!

Freddy, once again, thanks for your kind comments.  That worldbeat flavor happened totally by accident, but I came to like it so it stayed in.  I'm looking forward to your next tune.

more reverb on the horn stabs?

I like the arpeggiations you have chosen - the panned right guitar one might be a bit loud when you are singing.

I dig the guiro!!

Vocals sure do work, and the ghostly, poltergeistish bgv's are a very cool, supporting add.

It's a memorable and yes quirky song! For me your sung melody is integral to understanding the arrangement of the other voices - which means, for me, the intro section was kind of the low point. When the song starts, I was having a really hard time figuring out what it was doing.If this were my tune A) I'd be quite proud indeed! and B) I'd whack the entire intro right off, and start it with one go 'round of the chorus. Your vocals I think would be a much better early hook. Just my .02 brain cells on that one . . .

call it a win, Lynn.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Lynn
Really like all the playful accompanying sounds in the background.

Kind of unusual melodic phrases that complement each other very well and stick in your head for a long time. Outstanding lyrics too and as usual your vocal performance is top notch. Well done!

• Like 1

I took the weekend off from all things musical, but I'm back.

Tom, as always, you have some of the most interesting ideas, and I've used most of them in the past.  Your idea of knocking off the intro is intriguing, and I may use it when I make a video of this song.  (It just makes sense to have an album version and an MTV version)  Thanks for your time and consideration.

Bjorn, thanks a million for your kind comments.  It gives me confidence.

Steve, your words mean a lot to me, as I'm one of your biggest fans.

Douglas, I appreciate your time and comments very much.  I'll have to look up Peter Droge, though the name sounds familiar.   p.s.-I'm listening to Peter Droge now, and I don't know how I've missed him.

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ramscapri said:

Good break track Lynn with interesting variations and vocals. Nice guitars and bass. 

Thanks for your kind comments.  It's particularly nice to hear about the bass because that's what made me remix this in the first place.

4 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

I don't know why you didn't like this song.  The word are great and the arrangement works very well.  Maybe you polished it up a bit more on this version.

😀John B.

John, thanks for your time!  Yes, I did polish this a bit from the original version.  I even have a newer version of this that I'll post soon.  I appreciate your feedback.