Back from the Dead. Again.

bitflipper

Well, not literally. I didn't actually die. Saw it up close, though, and through the haze of excruciating pain I accepted that possibility as a welcome relief. 

But for the fourth time, medical technology brought me back. Looks like the book of my life has at least one more chapter to go before it concludes. Whatever the contents of that chapter may be, I'm confident that the subject of what's the best delay plugin isn't gonna be in it.

• Like 7

I was only listening to one of your tunes the other day (the soldier one) and that reminded me that I hadn't seen much of you round these parts of late.

Now that I know why and before it's too late to ask..........what is the best delay plug-in? 😉

Don't even think about leaving - you know stuff that we need to know.

Damn Dave!  Take care of yourself, there are still some bits you need to flip.  After just finding out about Bo, I have no interest in there being another RIP thread for you.

The average lifespan for Americans is 78.7 years and I've always thought of you as above average, ya? 🙂

8 hours ago, bitflipper said:

. Whatever the contents of that chapter may be, I'm confident that the subject of what's the best delay plugin isn't gonna be in it.

Ah, you will concentrate on Mac vs. PC then. 😜

Best of health to you, and may good music-making be good medicine.

• Haha 1

Kind of missed  not seeing you around the forums - was hoping that you just didn't like us very much.  Sorry that's not the case - do take care, I know I miss your experience and input around these parts.

Edited by RBH
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all your well-wishes, everyone. Lots of longtime friends here I'd be sad to bid goodbye to.

My absence here has just been due to a new emphasis on live performance that's stolen the focus away from recording. As many of you know, I reluctantly joined a band after the death of my wife, as a way to combat the natural instinct to withdraw from  an abruptly empty world. Every piece of advice I came across said to remain social and encourage human connections.

That band decision was made reluctantly because, frankly, most live music hurts my ears. But making a not-awful band has given me purpose. Truthfully, it's still a work-in-progress. The band still sucks, but not as badly as it used to. And not as badly as most bar bands I hear, to be honest. It's not a high bar. Even though my voice will never be where it was in my 30's when I sang 6 nights a week, my keyboard chops are better now than they've ever been. Calmer, more tasteful and thought-out. Gone is the need to impress strangers with lightning-fast licks, replaced by a desire to simply serve the song.

My doctors insisted that I not play piano for at least a week, lest I rip open the wrist incision and bleed out. That meant cancelling this weekend's gig. Damn.

I also can't drink coffee, which, ironically, has encouraged insomnia. That has left me in a strange waking-dream state, but maybe that'll actually be conducive to creativity. Lemonade, you know.

BTW, Sean Costello's new delay is really good.

• Like 3

I've heard bits and pieces of your keyboard work - actually some of the tastiest Hammond licks I've ever heard. I'm in my late 50's and have been at this since I was a young feller - I'm at the top of my playing game and that feels really good - took 45 years to simmer and cook down the way I look at it. I've downloaded the demo for the Valhalla delay - and I'm hoping to try it out this weekend.

• Like 1