Are You Using the Inspector in Cakewalk

Xel Ohh

Not as much as it appears I should be  😄  There is a lot to like with the Track Inspector but I think there are a few weak points to it too.

As an example, when your video first starts the left side of the Inspector shows the focus track while the right side shows the Master.  Then once you click on the MIDI tab it's all about the one track.  Yep I know it's not your fault and you took time to point it out.

The reason that happens is audio tracks don't need all the stuff midi does. So the extra strip for a midi track is much needed. 

Great job as always and I 100% agree with how many people never take the time to explore all of Cakewalks hidden gems. 

It was only a year ago that I started to find all those little toggles and I immediately changed from using my typical menu system to the icons. 

But you got me curious about using input quantize. You demo had me thinking it only would keep the 1/8 notes and delete the 16th. No, it work the same as the normal quantize feature, it actually moves the 16th notes to the 1/8 note position. The result is you will have 2 or more notes on top of each other. They are hidden underneath. This can actually result in a silent note with some synths. 

I ignored the Inspector for the first year or so I was working with Cakewalk, except for when I wanted to play with the Arpeggiator. It's a trip, isn't it, that Cakewalk has this monster arpeggiator built in?

However, when I started doing more work on my 15" screen laptop, where I can't leave the Console open without pretty much covering up the Track View, I realized that using the Inspector was a great way to access a channel strip without having to do that.

A trick that I figured out while working on themes is that when you have the Inspector open in its most basic view, the two strips side-by-side, you can drag the sizing bar of the Track Pane to the left and narrow it so that only the channel strip (not the bus strip) is visible. Great for having best of both worlds without taking up excess screen real estate:

image.png.5afd67cf1396f6e8a44e73f84c2222e6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Guerilla Genus said:

I think the chorus reverb works with General Midi Instruments like TTS or outboard keyboards with GM programs

Somewhere along the way, Chorus and Reverb got baked into the MIDI spec along with pitch bend. It's to control those parameters when an instrument has them built in (and is designed to respond to the MIDI chorus and reverb parameters).

Unfortunately not all soft synths with built in reverb respond. I like to disable the synths' built in reverb and instead use whatever reverb I have on my Reverb Send bus.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I learned this the hard way. :S

I never use the Arp controls but today I moved the Chorus & Reverb levels up & down while working on a new theme, then returned them to -0-.

Now each time I play the song that was loaded, the VST piano's reverb turns off .

CbB's Chorus & Reverb levels are normally at -0- even when a VST's levels are adjusted.

However, once you move CbB's levels, the VST's levels will also move. If you reset them in the VST, CbB will override them when hitting PLAY. 😠

The Arp has an ON/OFF switch. It would be nice to have one for the Chorus/Reverb also.

Edited by sjoens