KONTAKT 6 50% Off Until The End Of September

Simeon Amburgey

1 minute ago, bitflipper said:

I have Kontakt 5 (as well as 2, 3 and 4). It's stable, hosts all my current libraries and offers all the features I need.

I don't need Kontakt 6.

PleaseΒ - anybody -Β convince me I'm wrong.Β 

Dave I'm still trying to figure out your math problem and you want me to convince youΒ  on a simple upgrade?

Really I'm one of the few who have held off on Kontakt but am thinking I should get it next month for the price.

Every time this goes on sale I am tempted. Years ago, I was trying to decide between Kontakt and Omnisphere as my first major virtual instrument. With valuable input from Dave @bitflipperand others I decided that Omnisphere was right for me, and I have used it on manyΒ completed album tracks since, I love it. Do I need Kontakt as well? Probably not, but what has β€œneed” got to do with it?Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I have Kontakt 5 (as well as 2, 3 and 4). It's stable, hosts all my current libraries and offers all the features I need.

I don't need Kontakt 6.

If you're planning on adding to your sonic palette, some of the newer libraries require Kontakt 6. If you like vocals,Β ETHERA Gold 2.5 sounds really good (and Daniele's voice really does complement Clara's); it requiresΒ Kontakt 6.4.2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I don't need Kontakt 6.

6 is pretty nice but the key question is will you buy any new libraries?Β  Some of those may require 6.Β  Worst time I had was the short window when I was waiting for Komplete with 6 and using my full Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 Player for a few libraries that needed it.Β  But if you are happy with 5, there is nothing wrong with it.Β  But it kind of takes you out of the whole library pool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Every time this goes on sale I am tempted. Years ago, I was trying to decide between Kontakt and Omnisphere as my first major virtual instrument. With valuable input from Dave @bitflipperand others I decided that Omnisphere was right for me, and I have used it on manyΒ completed album tracks since, I love it. Do I need Kontakt as well? Probably not, but what has β€œneed” got to do with it?Β 

If you don't have a license to any version of the full Kontakt, it's definitely worth it. I bought v9 Ultimate back when. When I bought my new computer, the only NI instrument I installed was Kontakt 5. I upgraded to v6 the first time it went on sale. If you have v5, but not v6, it seems to me that the primary reason to upgrade would be to be able to use Kontakt instruments developed with v6 that may include v6 specific code.

There are a lot of free to inexpensive Kontakt libraries out there. Cool, weird little instruments. If Omnisphere is doing everything you need, spend your money elsewhere. If every so often you feel the need for an unusual sound not available in Omnisphere, Kontakt can be a lifesaver.Β  I have not noticed that same kind of support/product development for Omnisphere.

If I'm wrong, the flipper of bits will straighten me out.Β πŸ˜‹

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I love my Omnisphere, but Omni v Kontakt isΒ apples v oranges, not two versions of the same thing. As someone who owns both, if you don't "need" it I wouldn't consider Kontakt as a standalone purchase to make too much sense when it's only a matter of time before the next Komplete 50% off sale where you'd get much more for not a lot extra.Β 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, antler said:

If you like vocals,Β ETHERA Gold 2.5 sounds really good (and Daniele's voice really does complement Clara's); it requiresΒ Kontakt 6.4.2.

That's what it always comes down to: some must-have library comes along that demands an upgrade. Maybe history will repeat, I don't know.

I already have well over a terabyte of Kontakt libraries. Every instrument category from basses to jug percussion is already covered, often manyΒ times over. My wishlist is currently empty. My favorite library developers sensibly (why intentionally limit your customer pool?) remain on K5 and probably will for some time.

I go through this with every Kontakt release. As well as every iZotope release andΒ every FabFilter update. Eventually, they'll get me with a price I can't refuse. Fifty bucks may just be that magic number, but I still have to justify it in my head. I do like vocal libraries, though.Β 

Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting to get a deal on the 'crossgrade' option at for owners of 'qualifying' Kontakt Player-compatible libraries - now just $125. I picked up Morphestra 2 on sale last year which made me eligible, but then did not do a good job of watching out for the sale. I'm really not that big on samplersΒ  in general, but Kontakt libraries are so ubiquitousΒ it's pretty much essential ifΒ you want access to even a few. IΒ picked up a few other deals on Kontakt Full-only librariesΒ last year, knowing I would eventually get the to use them. Looking forward to Β playing with the new toys!

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Just occurred to me that I'd also have to buy another disk drive if I want to retain the older Kontakt factory libraries. I currently have two 1TB drives dedicated to samples, both nearly full.Β 

I don't recall any new libraries in Kontakt 6. Also upgrading adds Kontakt 6 and doesn't delete 5.

14 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I don't recall any new libraries in Kontakt 6. Also upgrading adds Kontakt 6 and doesn't delete 5.

Do you mean the update doesn't include the factory library? Or that it is identical to the K5 library?

As noted in the previous post, you need to keep past versions if you've used the factory library in past projects. Even if 99% of the content didn't change. The onlyΒ good thing to come out of the trauma of having my old computer stolen and all my projects lost was that it allowed me to delete the factory libs for K2, K3 and K4.Β 

Not 100% on this, but I think the factory library's the same - in my Native Access, I can see Kontakt 5, and Kontakt (i.e. version 6), but there's only one Kontakt Factory Library; two if you also count Kontact Factory Selection, but it doesn't seem version specific. If you're only using one or two sounds from the factory libraries, you could always just bounce down the tracks (you can keep the MIDI parts in case you ever need to change them).