NOT A DEAL - LoopCloud App now requires subscription for personal loop library

Brian Lawler

This morning I noticed there was an update for the Loopcloud App so I went from 6.0 to 6.12.  Their new policy is that you MUST be a subscriber to add ANY local loops that you already own to the database.  HUGE deal-breaker for me.  This was a good "free" utility, even with the limitations on using the sonic matching etc for subscribers.  If anyone can point me to a 6.0 installer i would appreciate it.    I am going to see if I can pull the installed files from a back-up to get the functionality back.  BTW ADSR Sample manager is still free and I've actually been using it more than the Loopcloud app recently anyway.

-additional info-  My research indicates that this policy went into effect with version 6.0 around April this year.  I didn't notice it until i recently rearranged my sample libraries and was not allowed to re-scan them. BUMS!  Their software, their right to change policy, ******* move to make this change without warning.

Here is a thread from another forum on the topic.

Here is the link to ADSR Sample Manager that I actually found easier to use than Loopcloud.  The only annoyance so far is a little suggestion window that pops up on boot (ya gotta pay for "free" somehow), and another small window that says your sample folders have new data (even when they don't).  The tempo and key analysis works well, and there is even a pretty good built in stretch algorithm for tempo changing loops while holding pitch.

Edited by Brian Lawler
New info
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Dealbreaker for me as well.  Bye Loopcloud.

Any other alternatives other than ADSR?  (I need to check it out, I haven't yet).  I don't even mind a low cost one, but LoopCloud was great until this.

Edited by husker

45 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

This morning I noticed there was an update for the Loopcloud App so I went from 6.0 to 6.12.  Their new policy is that you MUST be a subscriber to add ANY local loops that you already own to the database.  HUGE deal-breaker for me.  This was a good "free" utility, even with the limitations on using the sonic matching etc for subscribers.  If anyone can point me to a 6.0 installer i would appreciate it.    I am going to see if I can pull the installed files from a back-up to get the functionality back.  BTW ADSR Sample manager is still free and I've actually been using it more than the Loopcloud app recently anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.  LoopCloud was on my list of things to learn but never got around to it.

Also, thanks for the pointer to ADSR Sample Manager.  I'll check it out.

47 minutes ago, husker said:

Dealbreaker for me as well.  Bye Loopcloud.

Any other alternatives other than ADSR?  (I need to check it out, I haven't yet).  I don't even mind a low cost one, but LoopCloud was great until this.

I organize my loops in folders by developers.   I'm use to what most of them produce.  Maybe that's why I find these sample managers more confusing. 

A few months ago, I too was a bit annoyed when I found out that LooopCloud was no longer scanning my library.  

So, I decided to try out their cheapest plan ($7.99)... and I'm loving it!    

I have to admit that their sample manager is truly the best I have ever found.  I can say MARIMBA,  BPM between 92 and 119,  sample length greater than 5 seconds, (and many other search criteria) and LoopCloud will present me with all the choices in my library, or I can see their offerings, or I can see a mix of both.  I can also specify FREE and I'm presented with the choices that match my search criteria.  Every day I can choose 10 freebies that are downloaded to my drive (for my use forever even if I quit LoopCloud) and those freebies are also entered into my personal database.  They also give you points each month that let you purchase results  - most samples cost 2 points and I think they give you 100 points per month, but I have never used them up and they accumulate. 

What's really fun is to set up some nice rhythms and then audition the samples in time with your rhythms...  when you find one you like,  you press a button (to either get a freebie or to purchase) and it's yours.

I suggest trying out their free plan - I think they give you a month for free.  

I do not normally create music in this manner, so maybe that's why it's become so much fun for me - it's like getting a new instrument that you've never played and learning how to use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Loopcloud's FAQ on website 'Free users also cannot import new user-content or use the AI user-content tagging, which is new to Loopcloud 6.'

I assume the first part of that sentence means personal sample folders and so the comments here are correct and the new folders showing in Loopcloud must have been created before I installed 6.

Very disappointing from a company I have had a lot of time for. I don't use loops enough to justify a subscription so will have to swap to another sample manager - a shame as I almost knew what I was doing in Loopcloud 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

A few months ago, I too was a bit annoyed when I found out that LooopCloud was no longer scanning my library.  

So, I decided to try out their cheapest plan ($7.99)... and I'm loving it!    

I do not normally create music in this manner, so maybe that's why it's become so much fun for me - it's like getting a new instrument that you've never played and learning how to use it.

I did take the subscription for a three month free spin which I think ended in June (I now realize that is another reason that I didn't notice the new "free" policy until recently).  I like it too, there are some really cool features that work pretty well, just not $100 a year worth.  I had a one year plan that ended about a year ago and I still have about 2/3 of the credits I received left in my account.  By the way, I can't USE those credits unless I pay for a subscription again (read the fine print).  I am NOT opposed to subscriptions on principle BTW,  I just got all the content I wanted and don't see the value FOR ME in the software alone.  Enjoy it and have fun!  The beauty of the subscription model is that you can drop it with no "buyer's remorse" over a $$$$ purchase 🤑.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

By the way, I can't USE those credits unless I pay for a subscription again (read the fine print).

You're right! I was trying to buy something with these credits just a couple days ago, but I couldn't and didn't have time to investigate. So this is how you change the policy... when nobody's watching :/ That's even more disappointing from Loopcloud. I've been told from beginning, with bold letters, that I will keep my credits after the free trial finished. So I'm keeping. Oh and there was yet another alternative to Loopcloud and ADSR sample managers - the Big Fish Audio Momentum - might be worth checking.

• Like 1

Possible work around for those who already added user folders to older versions of Lopcloud.  Add new sample packs to the existing folders and re-index those folders.  Most of my samples are in a "PACKS" folder with sub folders organized by sample label.  I usually add new packs to it and re-index anyway,  then add label tags manually by folder.

yes it is not really worth it anymore as all free stuff was scrapped from previous versions, think you can claim 1 free sample and 90 percent of sample packs are just trap, drum n bass. techno and similar. unless you willing to pay them subs you better just uninstall it as free version is not usable and this is exactly what they want you to do, subscribe or leave.

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

You're right! I was trying to buy something with these credits just a couple days ago, but I couldn't and didn't have time to investigate. So this is how you change the policy... when nobody's watching :/ That's even more disappointing from Loopcloud. I've been told from beginning, with bold letters, that I will keep my credits after the free trial finished. So I'm keeping. Oh and there was yet another alternative to Loopcloud and ADSR sample managers - the Big Fish Audio Momentum - might be worth checking.

To be fair to LoopCloud- I knew about the policy to only allow credit spending while a member, as that was in place when I first bought in for a year.  I felt that I got my money's worth even though I only "spent" less than half of it.  I never bought any "packs"- just cherry-picked the stuff I wanted. If they eventually add a bunch of content I want, I can "buy in" for $8 and empty my credits.  Much cheaper than keeping a constant sub and not using them 😉

TBH Loopcloud is way more than just a LOOP Sample Manager. If thats all you were using it for, then fair enough its not worth the sub.

Where it comes into its own is the other features and there integration inside CAKEWALK ( or whatever DAW ) via plugins allowing you to live audition, sync potential loops + tempo match, pitch change live in CW via the cloud library along with a project you are working on

Also its own small 8 track DAW at the end of the loopcloud app allowing you to live audition, live chop and mix samples that gain sync with your project.

Outside of that you have the nice Loopcloud Drum plugin and Play plugins that add some in project kits etc

All that is the $100pa not just as a sample manager 

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

I just found I have installers for Loocloud 5.2 for both Windows and Mac lying around. 

For anyone interested there is also a download for a dev build of Loopcloud 6.0 floating around the internet. Apparently this one still allows free users to add new folders. I have not tried it myself.