[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

2 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Without wanting to get into controversies or debates, I understand that this topic should be used by us users interested in seeing the tool always evolving for the better. As it is a topic that makes available versions of the application in advance access, it exists precisely so that the errors being found are detailed for the developers in the perceptions of the use of the tool, suggestions for improvements on the implemented implementations. And, yes, as an early access, it will be subject to the appearance of errors, regressions, because the project is very large and, as a developer, I know that in projects like this, something is sometimes corrected and something untreated appears in another.
I think users who want a stabilized version should keep using the production version. Those, like me, who are willing to contribute to evolution would help much more to test the features and, finding errors, why errors will exist, better detail the error found so that it can be fixed as soon as possible, instead of positioning yourself with a spirit of criticism. Remember: It's a test version. So let it be tested with that view.
@Noel Borthwickgreat work !

Well said! I need stability for guaranteed productivity, but I'm too curious to stay out of these threads anyway...

I think the tone in this thread - and mostly all EA threads - has been great, we Cakewalk users are a happy and friendly bunch! 😃Hey, I even made a joke in this thread  (even though you put 👎 on it, but I most definitely deserved that with my bad word pun humor... 😂) Cheers!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I think users who want a stabilized version should keep using the production version. Those, like me, who are willing to contribute to evolution would help much more to test the features and, finding errors, why errors will exist, better detail the error found so that it can be fixed as soon as possible, instead of positioning yourself with a spirit of criticism. Remember: It's a test version. So let it be tested with that view.
@Noel Borthwickgreat work !

Early access builds are always post beta testing so are relatively stable. However the main reason for the EA program is to get wider testing and feedback on any changes so that if necessary we can address them. That said regressions are always possible due to the huge differences in workflows. 
EA is intended for users who are interested in getting an early look at features and offering feedback. That said if you are risk averse or are in the middle of a production don't install EA builds. In case anyone isn't aware we make it really easy to roll back to the last release so its fairly risk free in any case.

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and great feedback to help us make this an even better product.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I'm unsure if this is the right place to post this (because I don't think it was introduced by one of the EA releases) but I realized there's a visual bug with velocity bars. If this isn't the right place to post, I apologize -- let me know and I can move the post to the appropriate place.

It's not really a big deal -- if I drag the velocity lane down until it's not visible (instead of clicking the button that toggles it) the bug doesn't happen -- as you can see in the video. Just thought I'd share it here, in case it's helpful at all:

Cakewalk doesn't log anything odd, only OutputDebugString() events happen when Cakewalk is closed:

image.png.bf9a44c71edcd8d796a9beef79fd917a.png

Version Info:

Edition    Windows 11 Home
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎7/‎11/‎2021
OS build    22000.132
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.132.0

Cakewalk:

2021.09 (Build 099, x64 bit)

Edited by Gavin Ray

1 minute ago, Milton Sica said:

Hello. We are testing version 114. I suggest you install this version to check if the problem you report has not been overcome already.

I will do this, give me about 5 minutes to update and record a new video 👍

Don't  think it will fix it but I should try regardless.

(This has been present since I've first used Cakewalk -- Embarrassingly I did not realize until just recently it was a bug. I thought it was a feature meant to highlight note positions 😳)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Hello. We are testing version 114. I suggest you install this version to check if the problem you report has not been overcome already.

I will do this, give me about 5 minutes to update and record a new video 👍

Don't  think it will fix it but I should try regardless.

(This has been present since I've first used Cakewalk -- Embarrassingly I did not realize until just recently it was a bug. I thought it was a feature meant to highlight note positions 😳)

----

UPDATE:

It appears to still be an issue with the current build unfortunately =/
Here's a new video, starting with the "Build Info" screen open to verify.

On the bright side, at least I've got a handful more bugfixes and updates now 😅

@Gavin Ray - I don't think this is a bug.  It's showing both notes and velocity bars.   This happens when the control bar is hidden, and "Show Velocity" is checked in the Notes menu:

image.png.cbd50af96d9654d4cf4275b4f84ead82.png

image.png.fe574e745620d8b8a505fdf3a419ad10.png

Unchecking the Show Velocity checkbox will hide the velocity bars from the PRV,  while still being available in the controller pane when it's expanded again.

image.png.6a0f8d0145e710ba16b3fbc49e5cb03e.png

• Like 5

On 9/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

This thread is exclusively to discuss issues specific to the 09 release.

* Sometimes synth tracks drop out, on export;

* Sometimes synths are out of alignment with the audio, on export;

The first issues reported seem directly related to this release - this one included

"* When you edit or change settings during playback (playback loop on/off, resize audio clips, move audio clips across tracks, etc.), the output of all synths drops out." - even if doesn't specifically include "on export" it's the exact type of problem that is found in the export issues.

For the rest I can't tell, since I haven't used the Arranger blocks before.

The buffer size is also related to this update - I understand your point on that one. Still believe that the technical aspects should be handled by the DAW, not the user.

The Workspace and clip gain I agree are not, but there is no point in making 10 separate posts for what is finally a single issue - stuff that needs to be looked into, and that should probably be centralized, anyway. If it were up to me, I'd collect all reports, regardless of how and when they come, and make a list of things to look into, for a shortest feasible solution. That's why I thought having them together actually helps. But that's just me.

Another issue, a new one, which I've only detected in this update is this - with the audio track armed and monitored for recording, the existing, pre-recorded clips, that you record over, are still being played back while you record.

Finally, another Arranger related issue, that completes the first batch - as I've said, don't know when it appeared - is that cutting and pasting Arranger parts doesn't seem to work.

If you think they're worth looking into, you can decide what to do with them.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, chimkin2 said:

You can easily apply clip gain to a single clip. Place the mouse pointer over the clip -  Hold down the Ctrl Key and click and drag vertically with the left mouse button pressed. ☺️

Yes, but unfortunately there is this bug with the "-INF" display (instead of a db value) when you try to do it on a selection within the clip! This happens very often when you have multiple clips in the same lane/track (not overlapping!).

And just now I noticed that in the EA the gain change is only applied to the start of my clip when I tried to apply it to the whole clip after undoing a test on the above! I never noticed this before!

• Confused 1
  • Meh 1

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]
  • Morten Saether unpinned and unfeatured this topic

The link in the post below goes contains a link to build 114 NOT build 120

21 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The EA has been updated to build 120. You can download it from within the application now by checking for updates. 
Several new changes since the last build including new UI for bounce.

Also the subject of this thread is noted as [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

I guess the plan is to use the new thread for build 120 but it appears the old build 114 link was not updated in the new thread.

Just now, Keni said:

Rebuild 2? I installed that and noticed it said build 120 #1 and wondered at the new procedure.

is there a newer build of 120?

I can confirm this. The installer reads Rebuild 2, but the toast within the DAW read as rebuild #1