[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

12 minutes ago, Osman Hemidov said:

Hello everybody. When exporting to mp3, can you make it so that an additional window with mp3 settings does not open, but that the settings are present in the main export window? Sorry for google translation.

@Osman Hemidov not easily because the export supports multiple encoders and each has their own specific settings. Also often sometimes its required to export multiple tracks with different MP3 formats or metadata.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chimkin2 said:

You can easily apply clip gain to a single clip. Place the mouse pointer over the clip -  Hold down the Ctrl Key and click and drag vertically with the left mouse button pressed. ☺️

image.png.009fc55d72a97e93a4531052fdf5f588.png 

Cursor needs to be in bottom half of clip or it starts to drag-copy - this always gets me and I swear at the computer until I remember!

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

Issues that I've encountered since updating to 09:

* Sometimes synth tracks drop out, on export;

* Sometimes synths are out of alignment with the audio, on export;

Thanks for putting your thoughts down. This thread is exclusively to discuss issues specific to the 09 release. Most of your points do not apply here so please make different threads for them. Also when reporting issues it’s much better if they are put one per post otherwise it makes it difficult for us to follow and respond to.   

There was an issue with notes dropping out that was fixed in the build posted on Friday. Please make sure that you are testing with the latest build I posted which is build 114. (Linked in the first post of this  thread)
If you are still seeing a problem in build 114, please specify exactly what steps you take to select the data to export and what plugins are present, etc. Also providing a test project will help. Bugs are fixed quite rapidly if we can reproduce them.

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

About the buffer: we're not engineers, and shouldn't start engineering our own exports, I think Cakewalk should automatically choose the fastest buffer size based on the available resources, and we have to trust that it does a great job. When I choose a compressor, I don't have to manually adjust the THD, the compression curve, the noise levels and such, I just know that the compressor has all of those dialed to where it sounds good, and that's why I choose it.

How would somebody change their buffer size? What do I check, and what calculations do I need to make, to make sure it's the fastest that works without dropouts, and such?

And what is that about the buffer size changing the sound of the track? That shouldn't happen in any circumstance, and I shouldn't need to change the buffer size according to "how I want the track to sound", should I? I have plugins for that.

Export buffer size is no different from your playback buffer size except that it allows changing it without requiring the user to change the audio interface buffer each time. Also it allows values much higher than most audio interfaces will allow.
Changing buffer sizes (often referred to as latency) is something that every DAW user has learned to do. I’ve explained this many times in this same thread but there is no one size fits all setting that is universally best for everyone so its an advanced option that can be changed. The universal option is already the default which is to follow the same size as the audio latency. There is no math required to change buffer size.

The advantage with large export buffer sizes is that it uses less CPU and can make your exports run faster. However exactly like audio latency there can be downsides in rare cases if you have plugins that are not coded properly to deal with large buffers so its up to the user to check. Also when using large buffers with plugin parameter automation many plugins only process changes at buffer boundaries so you can get aliasing in these cases.  The export buffer size has been available for about 15 years but was only available to change globally as an ini variable called BounceBufferSizeMs that most users didn’t know about so we expose it to make it more convenient to use since it has significant benefits in many cases.

If you are getting crashes the report must include a minidump file.

• Like 2

The new darkened windows are great!

Minor thing: in the Choose Articulation window, when I double click on an articulation, it doesn't apply, as it did before this update.  You have to click Ok. 

EDIT:

I think there is a major problem here: The articulation pane is not working at all... ugh! 

To reproduce:

1. Insert an articulation on the Art. Pane (usually this one is applied ok)
  2. Double click the articulation and select another one (the new art. is not applied and the Art. Pane is no longer working from this point on - will not record any new articulations)

Edited by Andres Medina

4 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I liked it too, but in some situations the background letter not being white makes it difficult.

image.png.c1db0529172e41c5907c5f4df8c58bf7.png

I agree with you.

I like the look, but the lack of readability ruins it. If the highlight goes dark, the text has to turn bright (only when highlighted)...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I liked it too, but in some situations the background letter not being white makes it difficult.

image.png.c1db0529172e41c5907c5f4df8c58bf7.png

The dark menu with the white writing was perfect. Just not that dark menu going into white that was on the Audio FX side. 

That sudden burst of brightness was too much on the eyes. 

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Just a guess: blacking out the selected item is supposed to have white/light lettering.  I cannot think of a reason why it should be blacked out.

Possibly same as the reason the color of highlighted text in the export|filename box. There I can see the text but not the highlighting. Maybe some other change accidentally affected these.

...and the white background boxes when updating tasks to current settings? I like the readability, but why must they open mid screen instead of centered over the export dialog as the earlier dialog did?

15 hours ago, chimkin2 said:

You can easily apply clip gain to a single clip. Place the mouse pointer over the clip -  Hold down the Ctrl Key and click and drag vertically with the left mouse button pressed. ☺️

Thanks! I'll remember.