[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Build 114 has been uploaded 

Bug fixes

Fixed a regression with exporting task queues when the task was created with no selection made, leading to an empty exported file.
Export toast notification now respects the setting in Preferences | Customization | Display | Show Toast Notification

This stuff sounds good!

Thanks Noel. Grabbing it now...

114 Installed with no incident...

First issue. Also noticed in 111 & 112 but I overlooked it dealing with more pressing issues...

Clicking in the filename box. The highlighting (to select data already in the window) is so barely visible I thought it not working?

Now back to actual testing of tasks and such...

Thanks Bakers!

Tasks appear to be working fine once again... So far my only issue is the highlighting of the test in the filename issue (see previous post) but I did realier experience an issue with 111 & 112 where I couldn't delete the tag that was auto inserted in that window so I will try to repeat that situation if I can...

27 minutes ago, chimkin2 said:

I meant to mention this before, very minor thing ☺️

If you upload your own text file into the toast notifications  ( i.e Oblique Strategies ) then some of them get truncated as they contain too many characters

Yeah the toast message has a max limit so that will happen. Best to use shorter messages there.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, chimkin2 said:

I meant to mention this before, very minor thing ☺️

If you upload your own text file into the toast notifications  ( i.e Oblique Strategies ) then some of them get truncated as they contain too many characters

I noticed this change a number of updates ago. Sorry; I don't remember how long ago it was--but based on my experience, the line limit/truncation issue happened a while ago.  Would be icing on the "Cake" to have it fixed. 

I've reported this in July already, with the 2021.06 release and no one responded to this in its Feedback. So i'm gona report this for the second time around in the new EA release.

Can we have this fixed to the smallest tick value? (guess the secret weapon would be to say) PLEASE. 

57 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I've reported this in July already, with the 2021.06 release and no one responded to this in its Feedback. So i'm gona report this for the second time around in the new EA release.

Can we have this fixed to the smallest tick value? (guess the secret weapon would be to say) PLEASE. 

turn snap off and it'll work.

13 hours ago, Panu Pentikäinen said:

I would like to see Cakewalk optimizing buffer size automatically behind the scenes. Now there are a dozen buffer size combobox items available but nobody knows which setting is the best and why.

I would like both the automatic buffer size optimization and to retain access to the settings, but pretty please with an explanation of what their RAMifications are. For instance, this will make something smoother at the expense of more RAM usage (not an issue on any of my Cakewalk systems), or if you go too high it may lower performance, etc.

Issues that I've encountered since updating to 09:

* Sometimes synth tracks drop out, on export;

* Sometimes synths are out of alignment with the audio, on export;

* When you edit or change settings during playback (playback loop on/off, resize audio clips, move audio clips across tracks, etc.), the output of all synths drops out.

Arranger is a mess - I don't know if that was there before, it's the first time I've tried to use it:

* When promoting arranger tracks (moving parts forward, in the order) - either by hand or in the arranger window - the program crashes; in the rare instances it doesn't crash, what and how it moves, only God knows - some clips, yes, some, not, the Arranger block header, not, so on so forth; it's unusable;

* When demoting arranger parts - it doesn't switch the parts in the order, it just lengthens the song by ADDING the part moved in the place you moved it to, and leaves a gap in the original place 😳; I don't get the logic behind that; if you also have a tempo variation along the way, the result is a mess, cause it doesn't know how to handle moving parts among different tempos.

* Also, when demoting arranger parts, some audio clips are truncated for no reason - you need to resize them every time.

* In the process of moving arranger parts, audio clips get misplaced randomly in the project. I've had audio clips thrown back as far as bar 867, in a project that ended at bar 110. If I didn't tag every single audio clip, I wouldn't even know what those were, so I would have to spend time finding where they belonged. The export in that instance took about 45 minutes, and I had no clue why - cause it's not like it announces it misplaces clips.

Workspaces - when you choose one as default, it applies it over the existing project settings, on load, so it does more harm than good. If you choose none as default, it doesn't apply it to new projects, so it doesn't help. Default Workspaces should only be applied to new projects. The settings a project are saved with should override everything. You don't choose particular settings and save the project with them, to have them replaces by the Workspace every time you open it.

Meter resolutions should be a part of the Workspace settings, as much as anything else.

When applying a Workspace to a project it should act like a mass settings import, after which it should no longer intervene. Any changes that you make and save with should be kept on project load - again, saved project settings should override everything.

Clip gain: when I create a gain envelope on a clip, it automatically creates envelopes for all clips in that track. I avoid using the feature, cause I have to spend time deleting all other envelopes afterwards; don't get the logic behind that move either. When you select a clip, it should only create the envelope for that clip.

About the buffer: we're not engineers, and shouldn't start engineering our own exports, I think Cakewalk should automatically choose the fastest buffer size based on the available resources, and we have to trust that it does a great job. When I choose a compressor, I don't have to manually adjust the THD, the compression curve, the noise levels and such, I just know that the compressor has all of those dialed to where it sounds good, and that's why I choose it.

How would somebody change their buffer size? What do I check, and what calculations do I need to make, to make sure it's the fastest that works without dropouts, and such?

And what is that about the buffer size changing the sound of the track? That shouldn't happen in any circumstance, and I shouldn't need to change the buffer size according to "how I want the track to sound", should I? I have plugins for that.

Just my experience, if it's of any help improving this program.

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

Clip gain: when I create a gain envelope on a clip, it automatically creates envelopes for all clips in that track. I avoid using the feature, cause I have to spend time deleting all other envelopes afterwards; don't get the logic behind that move either. When you select a clip, it should only create the envelope for that clip.

You can easily apply clip gain to a single clip. Place the mouse pointer over the clip -  Hold down the Ctrl Key and click and drag vertically with the left mouse button pressed. ☺️

image.png.009fc55d72a97e93a4531052fdf5f588.png 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Osman Hemidov said:

Hello everybody. When exporting to mp3, can you make it so that an additional window with mp3 settings does not open, but that the settings are present in the main export window? Sorry for google translation.

And saved as part of the preset! Yes! That would be excellent!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chimkin2 said:

I think this might be dependant on the MP3 codec the user has ? ☺️

Likely very true, but it may be possible to do something along these lines as mp3 encoders can be run via command line instead of menu. This means unique info may be passed directly in...

• Like 1