[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

22 hours ago, marled said:

but then your project is changed and you have to remember to reset everything (or you always have to do a save before an export)

True, but then you've got undo, and you can just not save after the export, if you export at the end. In the end, I understand that each has got their own processes, for their own type of projects, and it's an addition, to a subtraction, so it's not something I mind, particularly since I don't use that dialog anyway - too many things to look at for a simple operation. It's just that I believe there are tons of issues more pressing that are constantly pushed back.

Edited by Olaf

20 hours ago, JoseC said:

Maybe we are missunderstanding each other. You can bounce to any audio track you have, you do not need CbB to create a new track for you. My complaint is that it always suggests it by default, and that you need to change that every time:

819976376_BounceTrack.gif.af0d5bb705c2a3b750dbede2b5809b88.gif

@JoseC

It is intentional that it defaults to a new track because that is the 99% use case for most people because when you bounce you don't want to accidentally overwrite data on another track or the same track.

If you are bouncing to save CPU you can use freeze.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, marled said:

This dialog is not so new as you think, because when you used the menu "File > Export > Audio ..." to export your audio there was nearly the same dialog (looking a bit older) for many years (even in Sonar)! Okay, there are now some welcome improvements (other than the look):

1. Name generation with tags and separation of path
  2. Time selection can be changed in dialog
  3. Task queue.

By the way this detailed export dialog was one of the reasons for me to choose Sonar X3 that time! It is true that you can get similar results by muting and so on, but then your project is changed and you have to remember to reset everything (or you always have to do a save before an export). Even today I prefer the Cakewalk export dialog over all other DAWs that I know (~10).

One thing that has changed with build 111 is the way the "Entire Project" range works.

If you save a task with "Entire Project" as your range, the selection will automatically change to encompass the new project length when you run your task.

Any clip that wasn't selected in your original selection will still be unselected, but any new clips added on your selected tracks will be included.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. 

I'm gona have to disagree on the sidechain with AUX tracks. This adds more work to it, by adding an extra track.

For this to work as shown in my video, Aux tracks needs to be added to SOURCE CATEGORY instead of with the tracks. I believe it is not what the member requested? 

With  buses you just get the signal source. 

23 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

@Noel Borthwick

If you can enlighten me.
I was having popping issues when exporting using any amount of buffers. I only managed to generate well with the value 0.
I saw that there was the inclusion of a parameter 140 (1024).
Was there any evolution for the other parameters or should I test only with this new parameter?

image.png

You should be able to test with any export buffer size now and not get timing problems or lost MIDI. The numbers there are just dividing the range of values to give you some convenient multiples to pick. You should be able to manually enter any in range value for the buffer size if you wish.

Note that VST2 plugins and some VST3 plugins do not support intra-buffer automation so if you have plugin envelopes you may notice aliasing at higher buffer sizes.   

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Thanks for the update. 

I'm gona have to disagree on the sidechain with AUX tracks. This adds more work to it, by adding an extra track.

For this to work as shown in my video, Aux tracks needs to be added to SOURCE CATEGORY instead of with the tracks. I believe it is not what the member requested? 

With  buses you just get the signal source. 

As mentioned before aux tracks and buses are not exactly the same thing. A source category for them is not the solution.
There are some further steps to potentially improve this behind the scenes without adding unnecessary and confusing user options.

What was fixed was a fundamental issue with source category tracks that was preventing rendering of outputs to aux tracks and sidechains. This was the root problem.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You should be able to test with any export buffer size now and not get timing problems or lost MIDI. The numbers there are just dividing the range of values to give you some convenient multiples to pick. You should be able to manually enter any in range value for the buffer size if you wish.

Note that VST2 plugins and some VST3 plugins do not support intra-buffer automation so if you have plugin envelopes you may notice aliasing at higher buffer sizes.   

I am sorry if this has already been explained: why is a bounce buffer size user selectable, I mean, what is the use case or benefit of changing that?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

As mentioned before aux tracks and buses are not exactly the same thing. A source category for them is not the solution.
There are some further steps to potentially improve this behind the scenes without adding unnecessary and confusing user options.

What was fixed was a fundamental issue with source category tracks that was preventing rendering of outputs to aux tracks and sidechains. This was the root problem.

With the highest respect to you. Yes, I'm aware its not the same and I think that is the reason why the request for this to be added to SOURCE CATEGORY is so high. 

Due to the obvious routing limitations with buses, which AUX tracks dont have. In EDM you sometimes end up with 8 AUX tracks within the project just for a single source. This then becomes a problem when the client request these trackouts of these effects, cause sometimes you have to sidechain a flanger on top of a phaser from an FX VSTi that does not have an sidechain input. Personally, for me its not a problem. I know my way around the routing system in Cakewalk to get exactly what i want. The only thing is, its more work - that's it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

10 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

I am sorry if this has already been explained: why is a bounce buffer size user selectable, I mean, what is the use case or benefit of changing that?

Thanks!

A higher buffer size will be faster at exporting, but at the expense of using more memory.

Setting it to zero will default it to the playback buffer size.

• Like 1

Great upgrade! Thanks a lot -

I found two things that seems to be not working :

1. After the update, the title menus of the insert audio fx/plugin, got darkened and unreadable) - See pic 1.

2. When trying to export from track sources, the selection of the Mix and Render option regarding BUS FX is not working. The rendering bypasses the inserted plugin. See pic 2

Imagen1.png

Imagen2.png

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

A higher buffer size will be faster at exporting, but at the expense of using more memory.

Setting it to zero will default it to the playback buffer size.

Thanks! Ooh, nice to be able to speed up exports. :)

Two quick thoughts:

1. Would it be a good idea to have a mouseover popup explaining just that? It's not self-evident how an export buffer affects operations, even to a long-timer like me. (But maybe I'm just a slow learner... *laugh* don't answer that. 😉 )

2. Any ballpark figures of how much faster the new export could be compared to the old for a "reference" project?

• Like 1

This is pretty tangential to the actual functionality that's been built this time around, I know. But just throwing this in:

What would improve my working life, vastly, on a near-daily basis, would be the ability to queue up multiple projects for export. So a list of projects would load, export with current settings, automatically close, then automatically load the next, and so on.

I can see that's outside the scope of current developments, but it seemed like a natural place to float the idea.

• Like 1