[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Hey GreenLight. Are you asking how to export individual sidechain tracks? 

Hi. 😀 No, I was just hoping for a slightly more effective way to bounce tracks with sidechained plugins...

Sure, the process isn't super-complicated as it is: in the Bounce to Tracks dialog, select the original track plus the source track that feeds the sidechain, pick source category "Tracks". But in addition of the original track, Cakewalk also bounces the sidechain source, which slows things down and also inconvenient...

Edited by GreenLight
Clarified objective :)

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Sidechains and aux tracks are a tricky problem to handle automatically when exporting stems. We havent done that yet.

I definitely appreciate that!

I'm brainstorming out loud now: it could be a semi-automated process, so in the Bounce to Tracks dialog, there could be a "Sidechain sources" box, where you could select any side-chain source tracks that should be accounted for in the calculations, but the SC sources themselves would not generate any new bounced tracks (which is my main gripe with the current SC bouncing paradigm). I would love that, but would it be feasible? 🙂

Edited by GreenLight

46 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Hi. 😀 No, I was just hoping for a slightly more effective way to bounce tracks with sidechained plugins...

Sure, the process isn't super-complicated as it is: in the Bounce to Tracks dialog, select the original track plus the source track that feeds the sidechain, pick source category "Tracks". But in addition of the original track, Cakewalk also bounces the sidechain source, which slows things down and also inconvenient...

☺ It's actually really easy to only bounce the sidechain track. ☺

I'll create a video. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Thanks 1

I have a serious problem figuring this one out> I'm trying to make stems out of several tracks, which I used to do by using the bounce to track item, choosing my tracks and selecting a new track to bounce it to. When doing this now, it says the destination track is a new track, but when finished, it creates individual tracks for each selected track, and not a mix of the tracks to create a stem. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me, because I absolutely cannot use this feature unless I can create and/or export the stems and not simply create single tracks when I attempt to bounce or export. Thanks! 

UPDATE August 28: I figured out what I had to do, and have solved the issue, I believe. 

Edited by Dave Maffris

• Morten Saether changed the title to Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 99]
36 minutes ago, chimkin2 said:

We've finally caught up, the Cubase one has been similar for a long time

A key difference is that CbB lets you store the project selection and track mute/solo state with each task in the queue. This makes it much easier to export different stems by simply soloing tracks.  Cubase only uses the active state at the time of export, which is much more limited.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chimkin2 said:

No I want it there, what if I go to make a coffee whilst it's exporting the queue and miss it

Yeah, but for you to have it stay, I have to do extra work

Looks like we need a user option?

8 hours ago, GreenLight said:

I definitely appreciate that!

I'm brainstorming out loud now: it could be a semi-automated process, so in the Bounce to Tracks dialog, there could be a "Sidechain sources" box, where you could select any side-chain source tracks that should be accounted for in the calculations, but the SC sources themselves would not generate any new bounced tracks (which is my main gripe with the current SC bouncing paradigm). I would love that, but would it be feasible? 🙂

https://youtu.be/AX-NNen14rs

There you go. Sorry for taking this long. Was busy with a Client. 

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Sidechains and aux tracks are a tricky problem to handle automatically when exporting stems. We havent done that yet.

Noel there's absolutely no reason to break your head over this. ☺I know im making this sound easy: The solution to you're answer above is because Aux tracks are not included in the Export or Bounce menus. Its only tracks and buses - that's why inhouse bounce on Aux tracks are not possible. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Thanks 1

Excellent on the new 99build. Is it possible to make the menus dark as it was with the soft synth menu in the 98 build. Obviously the original look is fine. 

My complaint was just from being on the dark menu going suddenly into the white menu that caused that eye blurriness and sharp sting feeling yesterday. The dullness was soothing to the eye - especially if your studio has that dark vibe. Sorry for all this troubles. 

10 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

https://youtu.be/AX-NNen14rs

There you go. Sorry for taking this long. Was busy with a Client.

Thanks a lot, @Will_Kaydo! 👍 Seems to work great! 😀 Ah, the concept requires that the track you want to bounce ("original track") is routed to an intermediary bus, before going to Master, and the you bounce with the intermediary bus as source. (If it goes straight to Master, you will get the sidechain source audio mixed in.) I think this is a faster and cleaner way, than the way described in the Cakewalk documentation.

To not hi-jack this thread, I have continued that discussion here. Thanks again, Will!

Edited by GreenLight
Added link to CW documentation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenLight said:

Ah, the concept requires that the track you want to bounce ("original track") is routed to an intermediary bus, before going to Master, and the you bounce with the intermediary bus as source.

Yes bouncing with source category buses works because the logic for bouncing buses is different from bouncing tracks. Track bounce only includes the signal flow from selected tracks  whereas buses automatically take into account the upstream signal flow. The export process behind the scenes rewires the entire project routing based on the mix options.

I plan to extend similar behavior to tracks and aux tracks when exporting but it will require some work.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

29 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yes bouncing with source category buses works because the logic for bouncing buses is different from bouncing tracks. Track bounce only includes the signal flow from selected tracks  whereas buses automatically take into account the upstream signal flow. The export process behind the scenes rewires the entire project routing based on the mix options.

I plan to extend similar behavior to tracks and aux tracks when exporting but it will require some work.

I see, thanks.

I'm humbly hoping you'll consider simplifying sidechain bouncing a little in the future. Until then, the clever trick of bus-bouncing works pretty well. 😃

• Haha 1