[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.09 Early Access [Updated to build 114]

58 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i thought buffer only affected realtime playback/recording, not export, i thought export just took as long as it needed?

Buffer size affects performance. Processing 1000 small buffers vs 1 large buffer is a lot more expensive and therefore takes longer. 
Same reason why low latency is prone to dropouts.

16 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Buffer size affects performance. Processing 1000 small buffers vs 1 large buffer is a lot more expensive and therefore takes longer. 
Same reason why low latency is prone to dropouts.

my memory is probably failing, but i swear that it was previously stated that buffer size didn't affect the "offline" processes (bounce, export, unless it was "real time" selected) and the offline processes just took as long as needed

but there's a fair chance that has changed

thanks for responding

3 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

my memory is probably failing, but i swear that it was previously stated that buffer size didn't affect the "offline" processes (bounce, export, unless it was "real time" selected) and the offline processes just took as long as needed

but there's a fair chance that has changed

thanks for responding

Nothing has changed - you misunderstood the statement that offline processes are not dependent on buffer size as far as dropouts go.
IOW unlike realtime playback a realtime export cannot fail even if it is running at a sub 1 ms buffer size because there is no such thing as a drop out for offline export. Of course this doesnt apply to a realtime audible bounce.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Nothing has changed - you misunderstood the statement that offline processes are not dependent on buffer size as far as dropouts go.
IOW unlike realtime playback a realtime export cannot fail even if it is running at a sub 1 ms buffer size because there is no such thing as a drop out for offline export. Of course this doesnt apply to a realtime audible bounce.

so only the automation depends on the buffer size, unrelated to possible dropouts that might occur with realtime bounce/export? i think i mixed up the automation resolution with bounce/export

thx for your patience :)

2 hours ago, chimkin2 said:

Hi Noel ☺️

Yes- For example in this project if I needed to export all the Guitars or all the Vocals which are organised within the project into Folders , hope that makes sense ?  It would be much quicker than selecting individually.

image.png.e4d9986eb2ca3539635387b001d64e53.png

So you want to export all vocals as a stereo mix? If so why not just bus them to stems in your project which is a standard way to do it.
You can send them either to buses or to individual aux tracks.
Then you can use source category tracks or buses to pick these and export.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Also to add to what Mark said, tasks are by definition per project so it doesn't make sense to share them across project since they contain information that is keyed to a specific project. MP3 presets would be a different feature that we may consider in the future.

Thanks Noel.

Grateful for all for sure. I understand your pov about tasks, but for me the task of creating an mp3 is almost always the same as is my wav file export from mastering. I rarely use anything else other than my original 24/48 mixdown file.

Mp3 presets would be a tremendous saving!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

2) Tasks after being performed are unchecked. If you want to run the tasks again you need to close the window and reopen it or check each box. It would be nice to have a box that allows you to check/uncheck all tasks and that, after their execution, they are not unchecked.

This is expected. You can easily recheck all the tasks. Press CTRL-A in the task window and then press SPACEBAR to toggle them back on.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Keni said:

Thanks Noel.

Grateful for all for sure. I understand your pov about tasks, but for me the task of creating an mp3 is almost always the same as is my wav file export from mastering. I rarely use anything else other than my original 24/48 mixdown file.

Mp3 presets would be a tremendous saving!

You have noticed that the MP3 and Windows Media audio settings now have a checkbox to use the same settings for all output files?

1 minute ago, Noel Borthwick said:

So you want to export all vocals as a stereo mix? If so why not just bus them to stems in your project which is a standard way to do it.
You can send them either to buses or to individual aux tracks.
Then you can use source category tracks or buses to pick these and export.

Yes I have to export the contents of each Folder as a stereo mix with all downstream FX  ( i.e. to send to the mastering engineer who can do a better job with 5-6 stems than one stereo file  )

Routing them to a group bus is not always an option because sometimes the bus FX is not suitable for every track within the stem. i.e. a Drum bus with heavy compression is great for kick - snare - room - overheads....but it can destroy the sound of the cymbals. So cymbals are often routed straight to the Master bus but are still part of the Drums stem.   

Folders group things together perfectly with flexible routing so being able to pick them to export would be a huge workflow advantage.

More issues in need of explanation?

OK... I finally managed to wangle getting an empty project to have saved my tasks and attempting to use it?

Processing goes as expected but files are not in the NEW folder that was selected. To do that it appears I need to create new tasks that contain the folder info? I don't know because I'm not finding the files there either?

I'm also wondering how the song name inside the mp3 is going to change from the settings used previously while creating the template...?

Sorry to say it, but so far I'm not seeing this helping yet... Not for this situation anyway... In the right direction, but it would require some major changes in my work model to figure this out.

I simply use a song project as my mastering template for many songs in need of simple, quickie mastering so one project covers all songs. But this implementation will not allow for that. Folder paths, internal mp3 naming etc....

So it helps a tiny bit as I can create the two tasks I need and walk away not needing to do each separately, but that's all it will do. I must create new tasks for every song mastered this way.

I'm feeling a bit deflated...

Edited by Keni

1 hour ago, chimkin2 said:

Yes I have to export the contents of each Folder as a stereo mix with all downstream FX  ( i.e. to send to the mastering engineer who can do a better job with 5-6 stems than one stereo file  )

Routing them to a group bus is not always an option because sometimes the bus FX is not suitable for every track within the stem. i.e. a Drum bus with heavy compression is great for kick - snare - room - overheads....but it can destroy the sound of the cymbals. So cymbals are often routed straight to the Master bus but are still part of the Drums stem.   

Folders group things together perfectly with flexible routing so being able to pick them to export would be a huge workflow advantage.

Thanks for explaining. Even with how you are setting it up, wouldn't it make sense to route all your cymbal tracks to a Cymbals-aux which then goes to the Master?
Then use the new "Tracks Through Entire Mix" source category and pick the Cymbals-aux. This will export a stereo mix of just the cymbals.

4 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I rechecked the version of String-Studio VS-3 I was using when this issue occurred. It was actually the VST3 vsti of that plugin.

To me this means the plugin is ignoring the sample accurate automation timestamps being sent to it and only using the value at the buffer start. 
Please contact the plugin developer to fix it. Cakewalk sends the plugin explicit intra-buffer timestamped values.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You have noticed that the MP3 and Windows Media audio settings now have a checkbox to use the same settings for all output files?

Sorry Noel...

No, I didn't see that. I rarely use wma files currently. I didn't notice anything new in the mp3 dialog but I've missed things before...

I must say though. I just finished doing my quickie mastering on 6 songs of same project and I found a rhythm. I did rip through that work quickly and easily, so this is helping for sure.

Thanks again!

Ok.. I like this export feature it works out nice. I do get an error when I try to do Track Through Entire Mix. i am only using to tracks that are 8 bars each when I do the regular Tracks It works fine and exports correctly but when I put it on Tracks Through Entire Mix I get an error not sure what Im missing.. the tracks/Buses in Project side has the tracks selected and none of the other options have an option for check marks. I add to queue then run task and get an error every time. Not sure what Im missing to get that export to work. I have a gif that I made to show what im doing  I think its just me but who knows. Please let me know thanks Bakers

giphy.gif?cid=790b761157090ab18fd0d3044e

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks for explaining. Even with how you are setting it up, wouldn't it make sense to route all your cymbal tracks to a Cymbals-aux which then goes to the Master?
Then use the new "Tracks Through Entire Mix" source category and pick the Cymbals-aux. This will export a stereo mix of just the cymbals.

Sorry if I am bad at explaining Noel - I do appreciate your patience ! ☺️

I don't need the cymbals on their own  -  what I need to deliver to the Mastering Guy is all the drum kit elements in a single stereo file, but for mixing purposes I need to route the cymbals to a different bus from the Kick-Snare-Toms tracks  - so I group them all together by using the folder as a container. 

The Drum Bus has compression , EQ and parallel saturation processing on it ( which I do not want on my claps or cymbals )

image.thumb.png.3469f1f4707bf97af3ea2d66d801c533.png

Currently I can solo the Drums Folder and I get exactly what I need for the export.  The entire drum kit in a stereo file with all downstream  FX regardless of bus routing. Here is an example Drum Folder - the Claps and Ride cymbals are routed differently even though they make up part of the overall Drum sound.

image.png.f3aad84fb75a29f893da8976ed7e80e3.png

All I am really asking is if it's possible to add Folders as one of the sources to the What to Export options so it could be selected instead of the traditional way which is this

image.thumb.png.211f58facb9adae53aa3efa85d7c2030.png.

I hope this make sense Noel and Team ! ☺️

PS- Here is what had to be exported / delivered

image.png.947f0f88cc86de08fd5bade4138ebd3e.png

( My own master for reference purposes )

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

24 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

Ok.. I like this export feature it works out nice. I do get an error when I try to do Track Through Entire Mix. i am only using to tracks that are 8 bars each when I do the regular Tracks It works fine and exports correctly but when I put it on Tracks Through Entire Mix I get an error not sure what Im missing.. the tracks/Buses in Project side has the tracks selected and none of the other options have an option for check marks. I add to queue then run task and get an error every time. Not sure what Im missing to get that export to work. I have a gif that I made to show what im doing  I think its just me but who knows. Please let me know thanks Bakers

giphy.gif?cid=790b761157090ab18fd0d3044e

@Xel Ohh thats weird. So you don't get any error popup or anything? It seems like export is running into an error.
If you do the operation without creating a task queue (i.e. just export) do you still get an error and if so what is the message?

Could you please PM me a link to any project file that can repro the problem? (with the audio zipped)
I'm sure its something simple to fix once we can get a repro.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chimkin2 said:

All I am really asking is if it's possible to add Folders as one of the sources to the What to Export options so it cold be selected instead of the traditional way which is this

I understand what you are asking for but it seems unnecessary from what I understand, because you can do that today. 
Imagine if all the tracks within each folder were routed to output to an aux track within the folder (named the same as the folder name).
Now if you export each aux track independently using "Tracks Through Entire Mix" this should give you functionally what you are asking for. Can you try it?

9 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I understand what you are asking for but it seems unnecessary from what I understand, because you can do that today. 
Imagine if all the tracks within each folder were routed to output to an aux track within the folder (named the same as the folder name).
Now if you export each aux track independently using "Tracks Through Entire Mix" this should give you functionally what you are asking for. Can you try it?

Thank you Noel ☺️

I am happy that you understand the question now , I must confess I never used Aux Tracks before in my decades with Cakewalk !  I am not sure I ever really understood the purpose of them but you have given me a reason to try and understand them again as I had dismissed them previously.

Many thanks - I will try this on my current mix this weekend ! 

7 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Xel Ohh thats weird. So you don't get any error popup or anything? It seems like export is running into an error.
If you do the operation without creating a task queue (i.e. just export) do you still get an error and if so what is the message?

Could you please PM me a link to any project file that can repro the problem? (with the audio zipped)
I'm sure its something simple to fix once we can get a repro.

If I hit export and not have any task it will work. It just doesnt work with Tracks Through Entire Mix when I hit add Task to Queue and run Task thats when it fails with no error message any project I bring up it does that error if I run task for Track Through Entire Mix.. If I just do Tracks in what to export section that will work and not give the error message. Is the Track Through Entire Mix for something else that Im missing or should it still work?