Recording built in Metronome audio to track? (SONAR Platinum)

First, my goal is to simply, quickly get the metronome audio to a stereo mp3 mix for the purpose of practice mixes I can send to musicians or another studio so they can have a click on the left channel and music on right channel for example.  

1.  Is there a simple way to record the built in metronome as audio on a track without manually routing an audio output back into an input on an audio interface?  

2.  Is it possible to add the built in metronome to a mix?  I normally create a mix using File/Export/Audio,  Source Category="Hardware Outputs" "Mon 1"  This gives me all tracks and subgroups that are routed to the "Mon 1" EXCEPT the metronome even though it is routed there as well and can hear.

3. Other ideas?  I know I could setup a track and use midi or software drum, but want to keep it quick and simple.

I'm using SONAR Platinum.

I tried the patch point just now. 

It is routing back to the channels and I can hear it out the master output, however, when I export, the click is still not audible.  

Am I exporting properly?   Mon 1 is where my Master bus outputs to (See image)

I'm having issues getting session drummer audio to the main mix as well.  This issue may be with all non-audio tracks. (I rarely use midi, synths, etc.)

exportAudio.PNG.4b7391a7b6d1943a601fe913d95f9500.PNG

Edited by Martin Vigesaa

The metronome is turned off during export. In order to have the metronome exported, it will have to be recorded. Enable the metronome playback while recording and record the metronome audio track. Once recorded, it will export like any other audio track.

Update 2:   If i actually record the metronome track as audio, I can go back and export the song+metronome audio.  This will work for what i'm trying to do, but would like a method that doesn't require the extra step of recording the metronome audio for the entire song, then exporting the song.   Is this possible?

Edited by Martin Vigesaa

11 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Why? Cakewalk by BandLab is better.

Basically I record very part-time and avoid changing anything while my setup is working otherwise I may spend more time updating, troublehooting issues and learning vs actual recording.  Also, my understanding was with BandLab I would lose many of the 'free' 3rd party plugins that came with Sonar Platinum like TruePianos and Session Drummer. 

7 minutes ago, Martin Vigesaa said:

my understanding was with BandLab I would lose many of the 'free' 3rd party plugins that came with Sonar Platinum like TruePianos and Session Drummer.

This is not the case. Nothing is lost by upgrading to CbB. Anything bundled with 64bit SONAR runs in CbB. It is true CbB does not include most of the plug-ins bundled with SONAR Platinum so, this is why the current recommendation is leave Platinum installed when upgrading to CbB.

10 minutes ago, Martin Vigesaa said:

Also, my understanding was with BandLab I would lose many of the 'free' 3rd party plugins that came with Sonar Platinum like TruePianos and Session Drummer.

No, Cakewalk installs alongside Sonar Platinum and any plug-in that works with Sonar Platinum will work with Cakewalk. The way you do it is just keep your working installation of Sonar, install Cakewalk, which won't affect your Sonar installation, and then you can use either of them. And they'll both be fully-enabled with Session Drummer, Melodyne, every last 3rd-party and Cakewalk supplied plug-in.

Of course be prudent as you would with anything involving your working studio and wait until any time-sensitive projects are finished, just as you would with any major software install.

Hundreds of people have made the upgrade with no trouble other than sometimes needing to go into Preferences and tell Cakewalk where the Sonar VST's are installed. If you run into any problems with Cakewalk, you will be running a program that is in active development with active tech support rather than one that has stopped development and has no support.

(please, the sticky, the sticky, ease their confusion)

Edited by Starship Krupa

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

No, Cakewalk installs alongside Sonar Platinum and any plug-in that works with Sonar Platinum will work with Cakewalk. The way you do it is just keep your working installation of Sonar, install Cakewalk, which won't affect your Sonar installation, and then you can use either of them. And they'll both be fully-enabled with Session Drummer, Melodyne, every last 3rd-party and Cakewalk supplied plug-in.

Of course be prudent as you would with anything involving your working studio and wait until any time-sensitive projects are finished, just as you would with any major software install.

Hundreds of people have made the upgrade with no trouble other than sometimes needing to go into Preferences and tell Cakewalk where the Sonar VST's are installed. If you run into any problems with Cakewalk, you will be running a program that is in active development with active tech support rather than one that has stopped development and has no support.

Update: I installed Cakewalk by BandLab now.   No issues at all.

Edited by Martin Vigesaa
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, Blogospherianman said:

You can insert Guitar rig on a blank audio track, enable the click in Guitar rig, then hit freeze and it will bounce Guitar rig’s click in a Jiffy.  Works for when you don’t want to wait.

This is a feature that CbB should include as one of it's own.   Attn: Noel, please let the metronome function like a Vsti, where it could be inserted into a track and frozen, or rendered as an audio track to be used as a click track.  As I have mentioned in previous posts regarding the metronome function over the last number of years, there used to be a DXi called Ping DXi which worked in the old days of Cake 6, 7 etc, that a guy named Mike Norman I believe, developed which did this exact thing.  Super useful for guys like me who make backing tracks, or need to include click tracks in their work.  It can't be that difficult a thing to include.  While I'm at it, is it possible to bring back the "Extract Timing" function that used to be included in the Audio processing of earlier Cakewalks?  This was such an easy way to set up a tempo map from an imported click track, that followed any tempo changes and could be done in seconds.  I realize the snap audio feature now is supposed to take care of this function, but it is far more cumbersome and less effective in my experience.  It is for this reason that I had to figure out how to get Cakewalk 9 to work on a 64bit Win10 machine.  Please????