Rant About My New Les Paul!

bayoubill

I saw a review of the 2019 Les Pauls on youtube and the guy said it was not worth the buy and he couldn't recommend it to anyone. 

HOGWASH!

I used 2 les Paul Standards for 10 years during the entire 80's and they were very nice. This guitar to me sounds better!! The body resonates when played. 2019 Les Paul Studio Tribute.  I love it 

It's much much  lighter and has a brighter sound than the LPs I played in the past. 

I do agree that the 2019 tribute is high priced. I paid $1200 but it sounds gorgeous

I'm as happy with it as I am the Tele which I found in South Louisiana by chance. It too has that  same resonance and vibration. 

Studio.jpg

3 hours ago, bayoubill said:

I saw a review of the 2019 Les Pauls on youtube and the guy said it was not worth the buy and he couldn't recommend it to anyone. 

Exactly what I would say!  (If I wanted the price to drop so I could afford one! LOL! 😆)

• Like 1

Gibson has been thru the wringer (mostly due to ULM decisions)... but they're still a Heritage musical instrument company.

The Les Paul is a classic/staple guitar... that's more than withstood the test-of-time.

Even withstood minEtune...  😁

I think this leads some to almost want to find fault with Gibson guitars.

"They're too expensive"

"They're too heavy"

"Upper fret access is poor (compared to other designs)"

I do think that (at times) QC could have been better.

If you pull a Standard off the wall at GC (where it's been used/abused for months), that can taint experience/opinion.

I had a R9 for a couple of years.  Ultimately sold it because I prefer other designs (ergonomics).

I still consider that R9 one of the best guitars I've ever owned.

Plug it into a decent Marshall amp... and it's instant Rock guitar.

• Like 1

I agree Bill, there is a lot of Internet Hogwash out there.

I bought my first LP Standard in 1981 and it was a very nice guitar, in spite of it being labelled a ....Norlin.  I have owned (5) Les Paul's in my life time and they have all been exceptional guitars.  My newest LP is a 2017 Traditional Plus, bought in 2018 as new, on sale for $1,399.   It is by far the best quality, best sounding LP that I have owned to date.   

25353810_1793821717334635_45501914918141

• Like 1

justforfun.jpg

Wow Michael, yours looks a lot like the last one I had (except for the pick-guard color).

[Oops!  And I didn't have zebra pickups! 🙂]

Edited by craigb
Why do we have to use Reason for editing on a Cakewalk forum???
  • Like 2

Depends on what you compare it to.  Is it a piece of junk?  Of course not.

Is it on the level of what you can get from Heritage or even Eastman?  Well, you could have gotten something better.  

I've used Gibsons for well over 20 years (ranging from models from the 1930 - acoustics and 1950s electrics).  They have made some fine instruments over the years but they are not the best in the market at the price point.  Therefore I'd agree with the assessment that they are not worth buying...since you can get someting comperable for less or better for the same amount.  

Edited by Brian Walton

I personally like the heavy Les Pauls.  I tried a studio that was chambered - and it just didn't work for me. I have a line on a 73 Deluxe - unfortunately it's a  "player " but it plays really well sounds great and I've been playing on it semi regularly for a couple of years. I just need to trade it off for half way decent acoustic - I'm not ready to give up my recording acoustic.

14 hours ago, michaelhanson said:

The 2019 Les Paul's are out and so far, the reviews have been very positive.  The Standard has no weight relief, hand wired electronics, no circuit board and price reduced to $2,500.  Seems like Gibson may be back.

Agreed.  Looks like management decided to get back to the basics of what Gibson does best (traditional/classic instruments).

The price point of $2500 (to me) seems reasonable... assuming QC/consistency is good.

If you're one of the "Master Builders", on some level it must be frustrating that you can't really innovate.

Pigeon-holed by your heritage success...

OTOH, Rickenbacker hasn't bothered to change much of anything in the past 70 years.   😉

The LP I have sounds fantastic is easy and very much fun to play. It's exactly and more than I expected and I couldn't be happier with it. It's the LP I would have designed for myself cept now I don't have to. 

I very much recommend this guitar!

• Like 1

Hey Bill ,

I have a Historic Gibson R8 VOS ...I LOVE IT

Don't listen to all the negativity on u tube .  Life's to short

Why listen to them anyway ? Most of those guys wished they could play half as good as you play  on your worst day.

I'm glad to hear you are happy with your new Les Paul .

Peace out,

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson

I've been playing others' Les Pauls for 30+ years, but only ever had a LP Studio as my own in the early 1990's.  I've never found anything to complain about at all. 

The worst thing I can say about them is that I prefer the Fender scale length.

kite - I have to use a nebulizer  3 times a day everyday for COPD and Emphysema.  Each time every time I use it I get one of my guitars and do hard core technique fundamentals. Each session runs 10 minutes so that means I get 30 minutes of playing everyday to maintain my current playing level.  One of my guitars is laying next to the machine so before the nebulizer is hooked up the guitar is already on me.  Now if I could only remember which song I was working on and why

Thanks Kenny! I've always had a Strat and FINALLY could afford a Les Paul that is light enough for me. 

Edited by bayoubill
I Am always in trouble with women cuz my wheezing sounds like a whistle

19 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I've have a LP Studio.  I don't play very much.  Is it wrong to have an LP and not play it every day?

Not at all.  I own and play a LP, Strat, 335 and a Rick; all equally loved, all get played depending on the tone I am looking for.

Edited by michaelhanson