LAPTOP TOO SMALL FOR CAKEWALK TO TRAVEL!

I have mounds of files and samples on my home desktop. I would like to be able to travel with a small hard drive laptop for recording that could not possibly hold the gigs required to have my setup like home. I have a 1T external drive to hold whatever is needed.  I will download cakewalk to the laptop and then I would need to somehow point to the the files from vst's and instruments to the external drive. Is this possible and any documentation available for me to implement this?

Not an expert on the topic as I have always kept everything but samples on my C drive. I have a laptop I use for remote recording with a full install of Cakewalk and it’s add ins. I don’t have much else on it stored and that C drive is at 75 GB. So even a 128 will set you up with the bare necessities. 
For external storage I do believe all you need to do is have the drive connected during the install of the 3rd party stuff and change the pathway. Then include those paths in Cakewalk plug in scanner. 

This part I’m not sure about but you may need the external drive connected when running Cakewalk so the plug in scanner doesn’t hang up. 

Usually installers for sample-based plug-ins provide for an install path for their sample libraries.

For those that lack this feature directory junctions may be used to relocate folders to another drive.

Directory junctions are created using the Windows command line utility mklink with /j switch.

There is plenty of documentation about mklink on the web and quite a few discussions about the utility on the old cakewalk forum.

To see the old discussions use this search string on Google

site:forum.cakewalk.com mklink

There are quite a threads with examples of how to use mklink.

• Like 1