Akai MPK225 setup

Sean Nelms

Question

I am using Version 2021.06, windows 10, Akai MPK225.

I am trying to get this controller (MPK225)  to work with cakewalk. I set everything up and the keyboard portion works fine. none of the control surface works though, eg knobs, start/stop, pads etc.  I have searched everywhere and don't see a solution posted anywhere.   Is there a solution to this?  do i need to custom map every function? if so how? 

Thank you

4 answers to this question

First of all, have you tried setting the MPK to preset 12, along with Cakewalk's ACT MIDI Controller set to the "MPK49 Preset 30" preset? 

If this doesn't work, from a quick look through the user manual, it does look like you'll need to map every function.  I would start with using preset 12 on the MPK, since this claims to have Cakewalk/SONAR compatible CC's.

On the Cakewalk side you can use the "ACT MIDI Controller" control surface, and use the ACT MIDI Controller dialog to learn each of the CC's. This is a pretty good tutorial showing you how to do this: 

Make sure you remember to save your preset within this dialog after mapping all the functions.

Thank you for the response. I have it set up exactly this way. I followed the video you posted to the letter. the problem is when i try to map anything using the midi learn nothing happens. i turn the knob and it does noting. I have reset the controller and started from scratch in Cakewalk. nothing happens.

3 hours ago, Sean Nelms said:

Thank you for the response. I have it set up exactly this way. I followed the video you posted to the letter. the problem is when i try to map anything using the midi learn nothing happens. i turn the knob and it does noting. I have reset the controller and started from scratch in Cakewalk. nothing happens.

Have you determined that Cakewalk is actually receiving MIDI data on that port, and you've got the correct port routed to ACT?

There should be two ports that the MPK is transmitting on, one is for the keyboard / pichbend / modwheel, the other is for the DAW functions. You need to use the DAW MIDI port with ACT.