Jump to content
cclarry

XLN Early Bird Sale

Recommended Posts

It does make you wonder, except for XO bug fixes, what do the people working at XLN do all day? No AD3 or even a new kit in I don't know how long.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PAL Music said:

It does make you wonder, except for XO bug fixes, what do the people working at XLN do all day? No AD3 or even a new kit in I don't know how long.

This. I quite like AD2 and it all seems to work as advertised, so maybe the lack of updates actually a good thing because it means that it was done properly in the first place and unlike some software doesn't need fixing on a regular basis. I'm a big fan of not fixing things that aren't broken, but eventually it does start to feel like a bit like it's been abandoned. 

Edited by paulo
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PAL Music said:

It does make you wonder, except for XO bug fixes, what do the people working at XLN do all day? No AD3 or even a new kit in I don't know how long.

I think they go into the office to have competitions using Xbox and PlayStation, cause they ain't making new software.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they might be actually making music in their studios.

  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, paulo said:

This. I quite like AD2 and it all seems to work as advertised, so maybe the lack of updates actually a good thing because it means that it was done properly in the first place and unlike some software doesn't need fixing on a regular basis. I'm a big fan of not fixing things that aren't broken, but eventually it does start to feel like a bit like it's been abandoned. 

I agree with Paulo. AD2 works great on my system. It has zero problems and it sounds really good and I own 80% of their drum libraries. They're a quality developer I can easily recommend. I'm a happy customer and XLN is the antithesis of less customer centric brands in the space like ToonTrack (who make great products, but they're not exactly customer friendly when it comes to pricing, updates and upgrades)  and they've been super helpful and nice several years ago when I did use support and when there was a freebie through another product I own and it was for my choice of one their piano libraries -- except I already owned them all; XLN let me get an AdPack free instead -- which was, of course, really kind of them.

So I have no complaints about XLN whatsoever, just praise, but it's been a lot of years without any significant updates on the product and it makes me wonder why. If they came out with AD3 tomorrow and it even had a few new cool features or even a couple of new drum kits, I'd happily upgrade. But I can't help but wonder why they haven't introduced AD3. It seems like AD2 was released a decade or more ago. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote off XLN a while back...their development is terrible.
AD2 is a bazillion years old now...and no AD3 on the horizon.
 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I wrote off XLN a while back...their development is terrible.
AD2 is a bazillion years old now...and no AD3 on the horizon.
 

They came up with Addictive Trigger, RC-20, DS-10, XO... There might not be an interest for them to develop AD3.

How much would it cost to get close to SD3, and how much would be the return?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pollux said:

They came up with Addictive Trigger, RC-20, DS-10, XO... There might not be an interest for them to develop AD3.

How much would it cost to get close to SD3, and how much would be the return?

Addictive Drum is more comparable to EZDrummer, not Superior Drummer (not even close) 
and they could do A LOT to improve it.  But fanboy's will fanboy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recorded many compositions with AD2 - it was my go to for many years, but about a year ago I finally bought EZ Drummer 2. For a non drummer like me, EZ Drummer is light years ahead of AD2 in terms of how easy it is to come up with convincing drum patterns and maintaining interest through subtle variations in a complete song. I used EZ Drummer on most of the tracks on my 2021 album, and my only regret is I didn’t buy it years ago. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paulo said:

I quite like AD2 and it all seems to work as advertised, ...

This! The only thing I complain about are the kick sounds. IMO there is too much room in the recordings and if you get rid of it they sound poor (I prefer something like kicks in the NI drum libraries). But YMMV, it is just my taste.

 

18 hours ago, paulo said:

... , so maybe the lack of updates actually a good thing because it means that it was done properly in the first place and unlike some software doesn't need fixing on a regular basis. I'm a big fan of not fixing things that aren't broken, ...

I 100% agree!

It saves me a lot of time if the developers make it right in the first place, because it takes so much time to always proceed updates on so many products on several computers!

 

18 hours ago, paulo said:

... , but eventually it does start to feel like a bit like it's been abandoned. 

I hope not!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because something isn't "Broken" doesn't mean that you don't continue to develop
the product and make it better....that mentality is insane...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

While I agree with you, I think I get the general idea of software being more maintained instead of developed. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting being tired with all the Win10 updates crap as I still remember very well decades of freedom on XP and Win7, where I could really do what I want, do some music or anything or just close the computer and walk away. It is no more since I "upgraded" to Win10, I feel like they poses my machine, I'm constantly bombarded with updates, infos, marketing crap, that is all really distracting and discouraging (shame I didn't take the photo of Cakewalk app open with closed all projects, just waiting for next session - in the background - and in foreground a kind of semi-transparent full-screen announcement that my computer has installed latest updates and is ready for a restart). So I personally would rather prefer things to calm down a bit and do updates only when necessary and not each time a developer finds out a new cool feature, and just leave alone things that are working fine.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is odd is if you have more than 2 machines you can't have multiple licenses in one account.  I've had to use a separate email to use on a 3rd machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fanboi's are gonna fanboi...

I've writtent XLN off as useless...not even installed on my system.

Everyone has "their thing"!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Just because something isn't "Broken" doesn't mean that you don't continue to develop
the product and make it better....that mentality is insane...

Unfortunately many developers these days tend to break things and I often question if they ever try their apps.  I see this more often in gaming and also Windows.  Luckily the DAW industry doesn't have a lot of half ***** development.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cclarry said:

Addictive Drum is more comparable to EZDrummer, not Superior Drummer (not even close) 
and they could do A LOT to improve it.  But fanboy's will fanboy!

I know. Not a fanboy at all, What I meant is the space is already saturated with EZDrummer, Slate, BFD, MODO Drum, and a few others. If AD2 holds its weight against them (which didn't evolve that much either), then why bother investing money, unless it's to hit in a higher category, or bring something totally new.

(BTW, I almost don;t use AD2 anymore. My goto combo is Jamstix + BFD3)

Edited by Pollux
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pollux said:

I know. Not a fanboy at all, What I meant is the space is already saturated with EZDrummer, Slate, BFD, MODO Drum, and a few others. If AD2 holds its weight against them (which didn't evolve that much either), then why bother investing money, unless it's to hit in a higher category, or bring something totally new.

(BTW, I almost don;t use AD2 anymore. My goto combo is Jamstix + BFD3)

Well, logically speaking, THAT IS THE REASON to keep your product "up-to-date"!  Believe me, AD2 does NOT hold it's weight against the others.
It DID when it came out 40 years ago, but not anymore.  I can't even tell you when the last "Kit" was released it was so long ago...

Like I said, Fanboi's are gonna RAVE because "it's what they KNOW and USE" and they really don't want to see things
"as they are", which is that AD2 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY long in tooth now, and as far as I'm concerned,
faded into irrelavence for any "serious producers/musician's".  Yes, it can still be used, so that's not what I'm saying...
I'm saying that those who REALLY "dig in" most likely won't be using "AD2"!

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had an adpak sitting in my account for at least 5 years waiting for them to actual release something...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...