Folderwise Instrument Playing and Recording

Indrajeet Raval

Question

Hello,

I arranged the set of instrument inside folders(image attached). Now what I want is when I select Folder No 1 (Piano+String), it should play both the instruments simultaneously inside folder no 1 when I press keys on any music keyboard(Yamaha OR Roland OR any MIDI Keyboards).

If I press laptop down arrow OR music keyboard Next button OR foot control pedal, it should select next folder which is Folder No. 2 (Violin+Vibro+Guitar). It should play all these three instruments together when I press keys on any music keyboard(Yamaha OR Roland OR any MIDI Keyboards).

Please suggest me how to achieve above folder wise instrument playing in Cakewalk.

I want to use above scenario in both situation recording and live band playing as well. Suppose I arm the folder no. 1, it should play and record, whatever instruments are inside folder no. 1 when I press keys on any music keyboard(Yamaha OR Roland OR any MIDI Keyboards).

Now if I press laptop down arrow OR music keyboard Next button OR foot control pedal, it should disarm folder no. 1 and arm Folder No. 2 (Violin+Vibro+Guitar) for recording and playing when I press keys on any music keyboard(Yamaha OR Roland OR any MIDI Keyboards).

Kindly show me the way to achieve in cakewalk.

Thanks.

Folderwise instruments.PNG

8 answers to this question

Hi Indrajeet and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

I don't think it would be possible to do multiple actions with a single (physical) action (e.g., press of a key...).  I don't even think you can write a CALscript, particularly selecting a subsequent Track, to handle what you want.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Folders are a GUI enhancement only for housekeeping purposes. I use tons of them for grouping instrument voicing in my soundtracks, and then collapse the folder to move on.

However, try setting both midi tracks to (your midi control input 'omni') and then highlight the folder which will activate tracks in the folder and both tracks should play/record. Works for me.

I have also set a midi split on my keyboard controller and send channel 1 to one instrument and channel 2 to another instrument with simultaneous success as long as both tracks have 'attention' and have midi echo on.

Thanks everyone.

After a lot of google, I found the work around and it is Kontakt Player which is a free download from Native Instruments.

Just install from NI website and drag an drop instance in the instrument track. Open Kontact Player and drag and drop as many different or same Instruments you want in Kontact Player. Set properties for each instrument like reverb etc. And then route all these instruments to same channel for ex: Channel 1 from drop down. Done. Layer as many instruments you want.

actually most Kontakt "instruments" (not libraries, those have to be registered, free or not) can be used in Kontakt player HOWEVER they can be run in demo mode which means they will cut out after 10 mins (or so). took me a while to figure this out, just as i was getting ready to finally record something, Kontakt would produce no output until i restarted it...