Odin 2 synth (free, open source) - Update 2.3.4 now available

abacab

https://www.thewavewarden.com/odin2

Change Log:

Version 2.3.1- LFO Waves now selectable from a dropdown- reversed order of LFO waves to make them align with dropdown- Debian package: fixed data file being owned by root (introduced in 2.3.0)

Version 2.3.0- new FX Module: Reverb (sourced from zita-rev1)- added microtuning functionality: Scala and KeyboardMapping files (Credits to Team Surge with their FOSS tuning library)- Added MIDI Breath (CC 2) as modulation source- ModMatrix amounts now range up to [-300, 300]- FM- PM Osc ratio ranges increased to [1,16]- Init Patch now has the LP-Filter fully open- default GUI size is now 150%- Retrig playmode now restarts the ADSR Attack from the current value, rather than zero- added indicator triangles to dropdowns to make them more visible- factory presets are now contained in the binary- all paths opened with patchbrowsers are now remembered after reopening plugin and shared among different plugin instances- fixed Filters not being modulatable beyond +150 in modmatrix- renamed debian package from odin to odin2-synth to avoid conflicts with repositories- linux: removed unnessecary dependency to libcurl4- linux: enabled link-time optimization- created Azure-CI pipelines for Ubuntu-18.04, MacOs 10.14 and Windows2019 to create installers automatically- updated Manual to 2.3.0- updated to JUCE 6.0.8- major code cleanup

Edit: update 2.3.4 available, see below...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Thanks - I like Odin.

I do too! It's one of the new open source kids on the block, and well done too! Vital gets most of the buzz as the best new free synth (and I like that one too), but Odin has a different vibe that I also like. :)

Version 2.3.3-

added CLAP plugin type- added native M1 Mac support- much improved UI appearance when using OS display scaling- made WinInstaller suitable for systems not mounted on C:- fixed symbol name clashes for "Knob" and "Filter"- switched build system to CMake

,  but it was in JUCE right, does JUCE use CMake?

4 hours ago, abacab said:

The Odin signal flow offer a lot of promise! :)

image.thumb.png.45ab7531d608f396a3f34d23a3e53c22.png

Uh-huh,  Uh-huh,  how many presets? ;)

I have downloaded this and installed a previous version but still haven't tried it. I'll give it a shot this weekend.  I was intrigued by the Venus Theory video on the landing page with a bunch of patches that sounding very good. 

13 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Uh-huh,  Uh-huh,  how many presets? ;)

I have downloaded this and installed a previous version but still haven't tried it. I'll give it a shot this weekend.  I was intrigued by the Venus Theory video on the landing page with a bunch of patches that sounding very good. 

I don't have a the count, but there are a good number of factory presets.

Check out the Atmospheres and Pads. I like those! The Leads and Bass presets are good too!

Don't look in the Keys category. Too many cheesy synth e-pianos in there might hurt your delicately tuned ears! ;)

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

@abacab It was wayyyy too short of a reference, but I was trying to channel Bill Murray's reaction in the 70's SNL Olympia Restaurant skit when people would ask for special orders and he'd shake is head and say, "Uh-hu, uh-huh, cheeseburger?" Basically, because I know a lot of folks here love to tweak synths and I'm just a lowly preset user looking for quick synth satisfaction. But thanks for your recommendations. I had downloaded this before, probably due to one of your earlier posts, but I ended up never getting around to checking it out, as to be really candid, I have more synths and sounds than I'll ever use. And I'm guessing that I'm not alone in that situation. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have more synths and sounds than I'll ever use. And I'm guessing that I'm not alone in that situation. 

^^^this, but Odin2 is one of the synths I really like to use, good sound! And I am also one of those preset users 😄!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marled said:

^^^this, but Odin2 is one of the synths I really like to use, good sound! And I am also one of those preset users 😄!

Welcome!

I remember, I had given some branding/marketing advice to Ben from Camel Audio and  we met up when I was on business in Scotland. At the time, I was handling digital marketing for a large mobile phone maker (okay, they were MUCH larger than and not so large anymore) and our research found that most mobile phone users only were aware of around 5% of their mobile phone's features. It's been around 15 years and Camel Audio was bought by Apple, so I think it's okay to share this. A lot of  my sense of humor is self-deprecating. Why? I know how to take a joke, so why not? So, I had joked with Ben that I'm just a lowly preset user that lacks the patience to program a synth. Ben then told me that his company found that the overwhelming majority of soft synth buyers say they want to be able to program/create their own patches but what happens in reality? 90 or 95% of soft synth users or so are preset users (note: while I have a mind for details, I don't remember the exact stat). So marled, we're not alone. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

90 or 95% of soft synth users or so are preset users (note: while I have a mind for details, I don't remember the exact stat). So marled, we're not alone. 

I have some dozen synths with some 1000s of presets. So it takes hours to choose the "right" preset for my idea (it's a time-consuming pain). Why should I program my synth(s) then? (minor changes to the presets are exlucded to this declaration)

• Like 2