NI Session Guitarist - Picked Nylon

cclarry

12 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

my DAW is right next to the closet with our furnace and AC.  Even if I had a nylon string guitar, recording anything with a mic is not an option for me. 

I would install a smart thermostat that you can control with your phone. https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH9585WF1004-Programmable-Thermostat-Required/dp/B075BF6V58/ref=asc_df_B075BF6V58/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198099432697&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8765384758026168416&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028795&hvtargid=pla-360161377603&psc=1

I still have dogs scratching at the door, lawn mowers outside, the icemaker in the frig dumping ice, my LED lights buzz, the clock ticks (but I can move the clock), and my wife keeps starting the laundry. My mics seem to pick up EVERYTHING. 

Plus, there's a constant thermostat battle between my wife and I. I have been able to turn it up while recording but there are complaints about "Aren't you done yet?  It's getting hot in here!" In the interest of peace, I need to find another way.

Luckily, I can plug my mandolin in directly and use an EQ to get a really nice mic'd sound. I can't do that with guitars and banjos because their transducers are not good enough to get an untainted sound regardless of how I dial in EQ. I think it has to do with a transient/compressive/non-linear effect the transducers impart. An EQ is not enough to fix it. Maybe it's OK for a dense mix, but not for solo instrumentation, which is what this picked nylon VSTi seems to be targeted for.

17 hours ago, fret_man said:

I still have dogs scratching at the door, lawn mowers outside, the icemaker in the frig dumping ice, my LED lights buzz, the clock ticks (but I can move the clock), and my wife keeps starting the laundry.

Q: How do you find out who loves you more, the wife or the dogs?

A: Lock them all in the garage while you do your recording and see who is still pleased to see you when you unlock the door.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for K14 

I love the 'picked series' - there is this and the Electric Vintage (telecaster) one but unless there is a good sale then at even with the vouchers I don't think it's worth it .....IF you are prepared to wait that is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm waiting for K14 

I love the 'picked series' - there is this and the Electric Vintage (telecaster) one but unless there is a good sale then at even with the vouchers I don't think it's worth it .....IF you are prepared to wait that is.

Yes I have K13 which has the SESSION GUITARIST ELECTRIC SUNBURST & SESSION GUITARIST STRUMMED ACOUSTIC ... Not sure if rest of session will come with K14 unless you buy ULTIMATE

19 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Yes I have K13 which has the SESSION GUITARIST ELECTRIC SUNBURST & SESSION GUITARIST STRUMMED ACOUSTIC ... Not sure if rest of session will come with K14 unless you buy ULTIMATE

do you not get 'picked acoustic' with K13 ? definitely worth having

(and yes I'm a guitarist but still find them very useful)

2 minutes ago, simon said:

do you not get 'picked acoustic' with K13 ? definitely worth having

(and yes I'm a guitarist but still find them very useful)

Fraid not .. just the 2 I mentioned in K13 standard 

As i mentioned in page 1 ( with PIC ) I do have a Yamaha cutaway classical in the flesh and use it for recording but do like the idea of the "virtual".  I have a few komplete guitar instruments but none are classical. Closest is the 8DIO Guitalele  

Edited by aidan o driscoll

51 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Fraid not .. just the 2 I mentioned in K13 standard 

As i mentioned in page 1 ( with PIC ) I do have a Yamaha cutaway classical in the flesh and use it for recording but do like the idea of the "virtual".  I have a few komplete guitar instruments but none are classical. Closest is the 8DIO Guitalele  

I still think you'll find the NI instrument useful

• Like 1

Picked Acoustic is one of my favorite libraries in Komplete Ultimate, so I got this.  My calculation is that I got it for $75 with the voucher and I'll try to sell it for $50 when I upgrade.  That has worked out on all the libraries I've bought early but Mallets Flux, and there's always the possibility that it will sell someday.

My first impression is that I still like the original Picked Acoustic more.  I did a piece recently, and I could have used either one, but I went for Picked Acoustic.  But that may just because I know all the libraries on that one so well. 

There are some new things in the Nylon that are really inspiring and I know I will be making some music with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

There are some new things in the Nylon that are really inspiring and I know I will be making some music with it. 

I wish they would allow us to use the same picking patterns across the various libraries

1 hour ago, simon said:

I wish they would allow us to use the same picking patterns across the various libraries

That would certainly be nice, but would it even be possible ? I have no idea how it all works, but I always figured that with the patterns the user was just basically triggering an audio loop of some kind so there is only the versions recorded with each guitar and therefore they don't exist the another instruments.

9 hours ago, paulo said:

That would certainly be nice, but would it even be possible ? I have no idea how it all works, but I always figured that with the patterns the user was just basically triggering an audio loop of some kind so there is only the versions recorded with each guitar and therefore they don't exist the another instruments.

I'm not sure - but I don't think the patterns are sampled loops as some of them are impossible to play.  I'm fairly sure they are just 'individual' triggered samples.

either way it would be nice :)

It's also worth checking out UJAM Virtual Guitarist Silk.  It's similar in a lot of ways.

I like the different voicings setting in NI Picked Nylon (especially the "As Played" option),  but then again the bass note feature on VG Silk is very useful and intuitive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1