How can I edit CC1 Data smoothly ?

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Question

Could anyone please help ☺️

I played this part using a flute type instrument which sounds much more realistic if you use the Mod Wheel to control expression.

However when I wanted to finesse the CC1 data in a the PRV using the Draw tool I seemed to lose most of the 'nodes' or whatever you might call them ?

It seems to only leave one CC value per note if you go over it with the Draw tool ? But as you can see you need to multiple points of CC1 per note for it to sound realistic.

I assumed I would be able to flow over it with the pen and get the CC 'shape' I wanted but all it does is remove most of the data 

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing it. I ended up doing it meticulously on bit at a time which was very time consuming 👀

CC1.jpg

13 answers to this question

Aha ! ☺️

Thank you @scook it works now  

This had already crossed my mind so I had turned off the Snap in the PRV itself  - It hadn't occurred to me I may need to turn it off in the track view 🤔

( I work on 2 screens so the PRV is on another monitor entirely )

Do you agree  it would make more sense for it to be linked to the PRV Snap setting rather than the Track View Snap ?  I could make a Feature Request if people think it's a good idea ?  

To clarify, the PRV snap resolution and mode settings will override the global snap resolution and mode settings, but the PRV snap enable depends on global snap being enabled. So if  you temporarily want snap completely disabled in order to draw controllers, you can just toggle global snap off with the default 'N' keybinding; you don't have to disable both.

• Great Idea 1

58 minutes ago, scook said:

There is no "Track View Snap Setting."

There is a global snap setting which may be overridden in the PRV.

Thank you , that makes more sense now. ☺️

Maybe if it had the word 'override' in the tooltip it would be clearer ? 

It's a subtle distinction - I thought I saw somewhere that the two could be de-coupled but I am not so sure how/ where I saw it now ?

image.png.27efed7780f83c1fea19f733d01a21a0.png

• Great Idea 1

If you want really smooth curves or lines, it's far easier to use an automation lane.

If you really need it back in the PRV, select the automation envelope, right click on it and select "Convert to MIDI Events".  Note that the current global snap setting decides the resolution of the conversion.

15 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

If you want really smooth curves or lines, it's far easier to use an automation lane.

If you really need it back in the PRV, select the automation envelope, right click on it and select "Convert to MIDI Events".  Note that the current global snap setting decides the resolution of the conversion.

Thank you MS McLeod ☺️

Yes it's needed in the PRV as it's controlled with the left hand whilst playing the melody with the right hand - part of the performance . Some great tips here !

On 8/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, scook said:

There is no "Track View Snap Setting."

There is a global snap setting which may be overridden in the PRV.

There is the crux.

For me. If I'm working in PRV and use the global toggle, it leaves PRV snap enabled. Shouldn’t it be when global is off, all (global?) is off including PRV snap.

• Great Idea 1

It does just like @David Baay described above

On 8/18/2021 at 9:59 AM, David Baay said:

To clarify, the PRV snap resolution and mode settings will override the global snap resolution and mode settings, but the PRV snap enable depends on global snap being enabled. So if  you temporarily want snap completely disabled in order to draw controllers, you can just toggle global snap off with the default 'N' keybinding; you don't have to disable both.

IOW, when global snap is disabled (default keyboard shortcut "N" to toggle), snap is disabled in the PRV regardless of the PRV snap settings.

If the shortcut does not work, check for a custom binding.

2 hours ago, scook said:

It does just like @David Baay described above

IOW, when global snap is disabled (default keyboard shortcut "N" to toggle), snap is disabled in the PRV regardless of the PRV snap settings.

If the shortcut does not work, check for a custom binding.

There is the problem. That is what I expected and remembered, but right now the keyboard shortcut toggles global but leaves PRV snap on!

Go figure?

17 hours ago, David Baay said:

In the distant past, the PRV would sometimes get in odd states depending on where it was opened - .i.e. docked, undocked but not floating, or floated. You might try playing with that. Also I'd be curious whether this is all projects or just your current one. 

Thanks David...

That's an interesting thought. I do use PRV in what is probably a less common display. Floating, not quite full screen.

I'll experiment a bit...

So far?

No differences between floating vs. docked in multidock. Same beahavior.

Some additional stuff?

I notice that in the process of using snap enable/disable while PRV is open and both begin ON.

Clicking on PRV snap toggle (grid icon)

Different results such as enabled, but no value set (grayed out)? Sometimes value still set, but grayed out?

Sometimes clicking on value enables it? Other times it seems a right click is needed?

What's going on? This is not new. I have simply lived with it up until now as I question.

Maybe I need a better grasp of what each of these functions do such as clicking vs. rt-click on snap value

Am I misremembering a default change that I over ride? I have always used N for snap but something in the back of my mind keeps itching at me saying this got changed somewhat recently? Is something half-bound or...

...and why does my grid disappear when I disable snap? Yes, I have it set for grid to follow snap, but that is value, not grid on/off?