So I had the "not responding problem" that some people are also getting. I figured out it has to do with the audio input and output. I originally had it set to Fl studio, after unchecking everything the app worked as it should. Only problem is I don't know which audio input and output to choose so I can actually hear. Can someone lead me to the right direction please? thanks

*edit: I just checked voicemeter aux for input and output and it seems to work fine now. 

cakewalk problems.png

Edited by Johnnyboyy

I don’t understand why people are making life more complicated by using these weird 3rd party audio drivers that obviously never work properly. 
Windows 10 and Cakewalk use WASAPI mode and  most all people get very good performance out of it. That’s the recommendation by the developers. 
You should completely remove those drivers from you systems. They don’t add anything but a different fancy looking control panel. And everyone who’s come her with on board issues was trying to use them. 
You are always going to have issues until you get a proper ASIO audio interface but on board audio can work fine for a lot of tasks in Cakewalk other than recording audio. For that you need an interface. For now use WASAPI for on board audio and it should not have issues. 

Edited by John Vere

2 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Well, you don't have any audio drivers selected for starters What audio interface do you have?

Those are both Asio4all type of drivers. They say ASIO but they are actually WDM wrapped. You can see they are not true ASIO because ASIO only allows one driver at a time.

I tested them a year ago and they are a waste of time. Just like asio4all is now not needed. They fail the loop back test performed just like you would expect, with same results as WDM mode. 

41 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Those are both Asio4all type of drivers. They say ASIO but they are actually WDM wrapped. You can see they are not true ASIO because ASIO only allows one driver at a time.

I tested them a year ago and they are a waste of time. Just like asio4all is now not needed. They fail the loop back test performed just like you would expect, with same results as WDM mode. 

Look at the screen shot. Nothing is selected.

Edited by bdickens

52 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I don’t understand why people are making life more complicated by using these weird 3rd party audio drivers that obviously never work properly. 

I don't get it either. Windows comes with audio drivers. While they might not be suitable for multitrack recording,  they at least work somewhat.

If I was brand new to this and using the onboard audio, I would do the obvious thing and use what was already there.

23 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Look at the screen shot. Nothing is selected.

Ya I saw that. The OP was asking which one to select... I say neither... The thing is you swicth to WASAPI your connections will be selected but with those drivers installed it will mess that all up. That's why you need to get them un installed and even remove them from the registry. 

Screenshot (153).png

Edited by John Vere

14 hours ago, Johnnyboyy said:

So I had the "not responding problem" that some people are also getting. I figured out it has to do with the audio input and output. I originally had it set to Fl studio, after unchecking everything the app worked as it should. Only problem is I don't know which audio input and output to choose so I can actually hear. Can someone lead me to the right direction please? thanks

*edit: I just checked voicemeter aux for input and output and it seems to work fine now. 

cakewalk problems.png

If you spend about $100, one can get a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers and 99% of audio issues will magically disappear.