Piano Pedal causing vst synths to hang

My partner also uses Cakewalk. He uses Dropbox to give me his Cakewalk projects which are mostly midi files. He is a long-time piano player. I am unable to break him from the habit of using the piano pedal.  I have to go into the midi event list and remove anything this isn’t a note. Notes are always sticking. Rapture Session is a nightmare (even for me), Dimension Pro and Spitfire Labs all have this problem with the pedal.

Am I doing something wrong? I can’t find any other way to keep notes from sticking.

I read about checking something in Preferences. I can’t remember what is was off the top of my head. Anyway, it was already checked. I unchecked it and things went downhill, so I checked again. I like some of the Rapture Session pads but most of the time the stuck notes makes it impossible to use.

I've found a way to keep my foot off the sustain pedal: play standing up. Can't play a four-hour gig standing on one foot.

First determine if it's really the pedal that's causing the stuck notes. It's not the only reason for stuck notes. Open the PRV and the controller pane and select CC64. You'll easily see if there is a pedal-down event (CC value > 64) in there. If there are none, then it's probably not a problem with the pedal. (Gotta say "probably" because  it's not impossible - but only if there is another MIDI track routed to the same instrument, which would be rare.)