Midi tempo 114.005?

Max Arwood

5 hours ago, parboo12 said:

Get them to send you an audio click track as a track.  They could record the metronome onto a aux track.

They could record the metronome -That's a great Idea!! I wish they would have. The project is dome - just mixing and mastering.

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

What does it sound like at 114 or 114.01 ?  

You could try swapping between 114 and 114.01  a few times within the project.  The difference is so small, I doubt if you'd notice any difference.

Yes that would work. I am getting some flanging @ 114.01 and 114.00.  Would it ever be possible to add the .001 increment?

Thanks

@Max Arwood - here's a project with 80 bars of the tempo switching between 114 and 114.01 every 8th note: https://msmcleod.co.uk/cakewalk/Tempo114_005.cwp

You should be able to copy/paste the tempos from this project into yours.

I created the tempos by inserting a bar's worth of tempo changes, then copy/pasted them into the tempo track:

tempo_of_114_005.gif

If you still get flanging with this, you could try changing the tempo change intervals to 1/16th or 1/32nd note.

• Thanks 1

Depending on how you came up with 114.005, I would guess that the tempo is nominally 114bpm,  even, and your measurement or the performance was just off by that much (on the order of 20 ticks or 10ms over a 4-minute song at that tempo).  If we're talking about syncing MIDI to audio, that should be of no consequence unless the song is lot longer than that.

• Like 1

David,

I didn't know if it mattered. I know I could not hear 10ms., but I thought I hear flanging as the song got near the end. I only calculated the 114.005 because  the mid was past the beat with one setting and too soon on the other.  I think the song is only 4+ min.

msmcleod

Wow!

I'm just amazed for your help. That was really nice of you to do that!!!  That is a perfect fix.

Thanks!

Flanging/Phasing generally only occurs when two identical signals (both frequency and timbre) go out of phase. If you're adding MIDI instruments to a recording that used real instruments or other virtual instruments., that should not happen. If it did, we'd all be in a world of hurt all the time.  But if Mark's shifting-tempo trick made whatever you were hearing go away, I guess that's all that matters.

• Like 1