Where to draw automation/controllers: Track pane or controller pane?

Dave G

Where is the recommended window to draw controllers and/or automation...in the Track Pane or the Controller Pane?

In Cakewalk's arsenal of built-in synths: Sound Center, DropZone, Session Drummer, SI Suite, TTS-1, etc., does it matter one way or the other where these are drawn?

This is one of those things I would like to learn as I'm developing consistency in my projects, before I discover I'm doing anything wrong.

Any advice and insight is appreciated. Thank you! :)

You can use either - it all depends on what your needs are.

Automation lanes are great for recording automation and drawing accurate/smooth transitions, and editing the curves.

Drawing CC events in the PRV is useful if you want fine control over each individual event. The PRV also has the transform tool which can be useful in some circumstances.

It's also possible to swap between the two:

- To convert PRV CC's to an automation envelope, left click on the controller within the PRV controller pane to select it, then  right click and select "Convert MIDI to Envelopes"

- To convert MIDI Automation to PRV CC's, right click on the envelope and select "Convert to MIDI Events".  You can also select a time region to only convert a part of the envelope. The current project snap resolution is used to to determine the time resolution of the converted events.

Just be aware that because CC Events are stored as discrete events, and Automation Envelopes are stored as curves, you may lose accuracy in conversion.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to you both for the wealth of information.

I guess part of the the confusion is that the same process can be worked in different ways, and the same result is achieved. It's just figuring out which way to do something.