Born Again - remixed

Lynn Wilson

Here's a new song, hot off the press.  In this song I actually play a finger picked acoustic guitar track (I suck at finger picking, btw), and I put a new battery in my EBow and went for it.  It's a tongue-in-cheek look at life in general.  As always, I thank you in advance for your time and input.  Oh, I forgot to mention that the bass was played by my good friend Roger Fife, all other sounds provided by me and Toontracks.

"Born Again" can be found here: https://soundclick.com/r/s8ibku

New mix up today to address the drum issue brought up by Jack and Steve.  (8-17-21)

Another remix to widen the tracks and reduce muddiness in the bottom.  (8-18-21)

Yet, another remix to work on drums and overall EQ  ( 8/22/21).

And, yet another remix to enhance the drums, piano, and acoustic guitar  (8-28-21)

Edited by Lynn Wilson
  • Like 2

Bit of fun and I enjoyed the lyric ..  oh and the finger picking was fine to my ears, have to agree with Jack here and ask why the drums ( if any ) are so low in the mix. ( was gonna grab the 'I don't know' line but Tom beat me to it!) All good though cause I like the grove 😉

ALB

Steve

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jack c. said:

i can hardly hear drums,do ya have any in this song?if so bring up kick/snare.some nice chord changes.i don't hear finger pickin.jack c.

Hi Jack!  Sometimes I don't hear something until someone points it out, which is the case with the drums.  I don't perceive this to be a big drum song, but it sounds better with the drums up in the mix which is why I remixed it.  As for the finger picking, you can hear it in the first four bars, I hope, and it continues through the song.

17 hours ago, Makke said:

Cool! great rock song with nice groove. good vocs and pleasant sounds. Thumbs up!

Thank you, Makke, for your time and comments!  Glad you like it.

14 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

For some odd reason Defying Gravity played first. I don't know, do you? Guess not, cause you did say "I don't know what I don't know"...

👍's on both.

t

I don't know why DF came up first, along with many other things, but I'm yearning to know...  Thank you for your support!

5 hours ago, SupaReels said:

Bit of fun and I enjoyed the lyric ..  oh and the finger picking was fine to my ears, have to agree with Jack here and ask why the drums ( if any ) are so low in the mix. ( was gonna grab the 'I don't know' line but Tom beat me to it!) All good though cause I like the grove 😉

ALB

Steve

Steve, you and Jack were right about the drums, so I turned them up.  The new mix is posted.  Thanks so much for your time and support over the years!  It helps.

14 minutes ago, KurtS said:

Catchy song. There are a lot of sounds going on in there but it works.

Thank you, Kurt!  Your words mean a lot to me!

Listened with pleasure as my family and drove across barren central Utah, on bluetooth to car radio, and the mix held up well! Vocals were plenty forward, and the tune fit the drive and the landscape well!

Are you sure the title isn't "I don't know"  ?

I like the slightly ambiguous lyrics, and the vocals are great as well!

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

Lynn, such a very cool song, . . . that opening acoustic guitar riff ( that you say you suck at) well, it is extremely hookfull, and you should get back to it a few times maybe throughout this ? I really like the bass guitar in this one, well played, or conceived, however it was done. I'll echo Tom (PhonoBrainer) . . . I hear no vocal allusion to "Born Again" ? . . . seems to be "I Don't Know" is the stand out Chorus line through this. The power of your voice really shines in this one as well . . . so much going on, need a few more listens, great stuff as always !

On 8/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Here's a new song, hot off the press.  In this song I actually play a finger picked acoustic guitar track (I suck at finger picking, btw), and I put a new battery in my EBow and went for it.  It's a tongue-in-cheek look at life in general.  As always, I thank you in advance for your time and input.

"Born Again" can be found here: https://soundclick.com/r/s8ibku

New mix up today to address the drum issue brought up by Jack and Steve.  (8-17-21)

Better ... much better. I feel like the mix is a bit muddy now ( I am a fussy bugger, that much I do know ) .. maybe a bit of separation and a tweak on the mids ..

OK .. tin hat time ..sounds like the wife's calling   🛠️

Stay loose mate .....and safe

ATB Steve

• Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, Myriad Rocker said:

For some reason this track reminded me a bit of Paul Thorn.  I dig Paul Thorn a lot.  For me, it sounds a bit woofy.  The low end almost consumes everything.  It's a nice song, I like it.

I'm going to look up Paul Thorn, he's new to me.  Thanks for your comments!  You're not the only one to notice the overabundance of the low end, so I remixed it to reduce the bottom and muddiness.  Hope it works.

23 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Listened with pleasure as my family and drove across barren central Utah, on bluetooth to car radio, and the mix held up well! Vocals were plenty forward, and the tune fit the drive and the landscape well!

Are you sure the title isn't "I don't know"  ?

I like the slightly ambiguous lyrics, and the vocals are great as well!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks, Tom!  I use my car a lot to fine tune my mixes.  As for the title, it comes from the middle verse and only occurs once.  I like non-sequiturs.

23 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Lynn , there a Lot to like here and too much to mention it all. Great guitar intro , I wanted to hear more of it.    Great vocals as well.   Enjoyed it ..      mark

Mark, thanks a million!  I did just remix this and put the acoustic a bit more to the left to give it some separation.  Maybe?

12 hours ago, noynekker said:

Lynn, such a very cool song, . . . that opening acoustic guitar riff ( that you say you suck at) well, it is extremely hookfull, and you should get back to it a few times maybe throughout this ? I really like the bass guitar in this one, well played, or conceived, however it was done. I'll echo Tom (PhonoBrainer) . . . I hear no vocal allusion to "Born Again" ? . . . seems to be "I Don't Know" is the stand out Chorus line through this. The power of your voice really shines in this one as well . . . so much going on, need a few more listens, great stuff as always !

Thank you so much!  I forgot to mention that the bass was played by my old friend Roger Fife.  He just knows what to do without being told.  The title is a non-sequitur, lifted from the middle verse - "live and love as much as you can if you expect to be born again".  As said above, I widened the mix and the guitar is more in the left channel where it can be heard a bit more throughout the song, I hope.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:50 AM, SupaReels said:

Better ... much better. I feel like the mix is a bit muddy now ( I am a fussy bugger, that much I do know ) .. maybe a bit of separation and a tweak on the mids ..

OK .. tin hat time ..sounds like the wife's calling   🛠️

Stay loose mate .....and safe

ATB Steve

Thanks for the suggestion!  I did remix this with your thoughts in mind.  I like it.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:39 AM, Wookiee said:

I seem t be hearing I don't Know?

Like wise I don't know either.

Who does?  (Ahh, but I was so much older then...)

15 hours ago, ramscapri said:

Hey cool groovy track there Lynn. Nice clean guitars and deep bass. 

And oh yes... how wrong we are when we think we know it all...

Amen to that!  Thank you so much for your time and comments.

15 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn

Only heard the latest mix, sounds real good to me. Really enjoyed it, cool stuff

Nigel

Thank you, Nigel, I've gotten some good advice here!  Thanks for responding.

9 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Lynn,

I don't know but I think you've got a good song on your hands there Lynn.

Groovy little rocking track which goes off in to the stratosphere in places and keeps your foot atapping.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

Thank you, Paul!  You've got a good one going, too.  Stay in touch.

• Like 1