Going for that huge ambient pop sound...

Dave Oliffe

Hey folks, any feedback appreciated (no pun intended).

Used the amazing Yamaha Reface CS which is actually a really small synth but capable of big sounds! (With help from Soundtoys)

All vocals are mine, including the 'trap/hiphop' vox (mainly at end) which were achieved by altering formants in Melodyne and making me sound a bit cooler. 

Drums were spliced together from my Roland TR8S 

Love D

On 8/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, Dave Oliffe said:

Wow, have I been blacklisted or something?

What makes you think that?

It seems a very dense mix in places, that is soaked in reverb which does not help clarity. I would suggest a remix with less reverb as I am sure there is a reasonable song in there trying to find its way through the reverb fog.

Look forward to hearing the remix.

8 hours ago, Wookiee said:

What makes you think that?

It seems a very dense mix in places, that is soaked in reverb which does not help clarity. I would suggest a remix with less reverb as I am sure there is a reasonable song in there trying to find its way through the reverb fog.

Look forward to hearing the remix.

Sorry, my 'blacklisted' quote was due to not getting any replies whilst songs posted around the same time were getting tons. Thanks for listening - the reverb comes with the genre so it's absolutely meant to be soaked in it - however, I probably do go overboard with it. I think I could experiment with leaving some sounds totally dry so that they pop out more. 

4 hours ago, Dave Oliffe said:

Thanks for listening - the reverb comes with the genre so it's absolutely meant to be soaked in it - however, I probably do go overboard with it. I think I could experiment with leaving some sounds totally dry so that they pop out more. 

Hi David . . . had a few listens, and really like the piece, it's got some interesting moments throughout. I don't mind the reverb wash for the instruments, but as Wookiee says, and as you allude to, maybe a bit too much on the lead vocals ? Call me old school, but I really had to struggle to clarify the lyrics, and yeah, I always want to know what a song is about, despite the genre.

On my headphone listen, couldn't make out most of the lyrics, though, on my small speaker listen, I could hear a few more of the lines. Think you could just bring out the dry part of the lead vocals a bit more more . . . and it would help that first time listen by all who will hear this . . . and I hope it will be many, good luck !

7 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi David . . . had a few listens, and really like the piece, it's got some interesting moments throughout. I don't mind the reverb wash for the instruments, but as Wookiee says, and as you allude to, maybe a bit too much on the lead vocals ? Call me old school, but I really had to struggle to clarify the lyrics, and yeah, I always want to know what a song is about, despite the genre.

On my headphone listen, couldn't make out most of the lyrics, though, on my small speaker listen, I could hear a few more of the lines. Think you could just bring out the dry part of the lead vocals a bit more more . . . and it would help that first time listen by all who will hear this . . . and I hope it will be many, good luck !

Thanks for this, I'll definitely bear it in mind on my next mix. I was so hell-bent on achieving a dreamy-sounding vocal that I've sacrificed it's identity somewhat. It's hard when you've written the lyrics yourself isn't it - I guess it creates the illusion that the lyrics are audible.

I liked the track.  It's very dense.  I do agree with what others have said on the 'verb, particularly on the vocal.  I personally wanted more clarity there.  I think you could also automate some stuff in/out on some of the main sections to give the mix a bit more width.  But that's just an idea.  It sounds pretty good.  I liked it.

Oh, and it's loud as all get out.  Not sure if you wanted it that loud.  I haven't put it up against anything, but just going off relative volume, it's up there.

Edited by Myriad Rocker