phone

jack c.

Tad too Hot did you let a computer finalise this?

mastering was done by ozone 9

The mix is quite dense I am struggling to get separation of the voices of the instruments.

i was trying for a mono mix.all almost in center.explain how i can make it better sounding.thanks,jack c.

Hi Jack

think this could be a really good track - definitely i would do a stereo mix and I would watch Ozone when mastering - the auto settings especially on the limiter can crush everything - I don't have the latest version of Ozone (I think i have 7 - sorry not in the studio) but i always had to wind back the limiter - if i ever just let it to its own thing it was always way too limited!!!

Actually after a while, even if i used the other Ozone modules, I never used the Ozone limiter - i much preferred something like Elephant or Xenon 

Nigel

• Like 1

Nice song  but a little hard to distinguish arrangement and instruments.
This sounds like from retro phone handset. Was that your intention?
Anyway a little more panning would give a better distinction to the mix.

9 hours ago, ramscapri said:

And yes, maybe a lil more work on mixing the levels, panning separation and eq-ing will make it much better... 

6 hours ago, Makke said:

Nice song  but a little hard to distinguish arrangement and instruments.
This sounds like from retro phone handset. Was that your intention?
Anyway a little more panning would give a better distinction to the mix.

i was trying for a mono mix.all almost in center.thanks,jack c.

46 minutes ago, jack c. said:

please explain how i may fix this.

Back off the limiter!

I find Nectar and Neutron to be a total S show. 
I’m increasingly cautious with Ozone. 
just my 2 cents. 
t

I’m listening in the car, and more and more I understand why my mixes don’t translate. 
this Grand Caravan is a total crap listening environment. 

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:
3 hours ago, hsm said:

Check you levels on tracks, plugins & master. Does your master sound this distorted ?  check file settings or file type  you're uploading.

Back off the limiter!

thanks for insights!

here's what i do:

track/record all tracks 18-6 db.do a ruff mix in sonar x1.

export stems to harrison mixbus and add a comp/limiter.

export to ozone master assistant for mastering.

• Like 1

Jack . . . if you're using ozone 9 for mastering . . . what are you using for an LUFS level ? . . . should be no more than -14.0 LUFS

You should set a target of -14.0 LUFS, and make sure no individual tracks are clipping.

I have to turn my volume way down, to listen to this compared to other tracks, mucho distorto mon amigo !

. . . but despite it all, there is a great song here waiting to shine through . . . please fix the levels.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jack c. said:

please explain how i may fix this.jack c.

All of the above is good advise from seasoned songwriters. My thinking is to watch as much YouTube vids on mixing and mastering. It really is hard to get it somewhere near right and you'll sometimes end up doing the whole song again ... not a good experience but  it makes for good knowledge which will allow you to get a sweet mix more times than not.

Try taking out all processing and focus on each track making sure your master is also dry. The trick is not to rush it, take time to hear the difference and slowly tweak each track. 

Lastly it just sounds like your master bus was set too high for limiting giving you the result you got ... but I like the song so I feel it's worth the work 😉

Stay safe

Steve