Upgrade to Play 6 and Wordbuilder in Symphonic Choirs is broken

mfanning

I haven't used EW Symphonic Choirs in over a year and in that time I got EW Voices of the Empire and it required an upgrade to Play 6.   Last week, I wanted to work on a choral composition and after opening Play 6 and loading in the Multi WB voice I found that Wordbuilder does not open when I click on the Wordbuilder button which now looks black, where before when it worked it was blue.   Interestingly, I can load in an old choral project that used the previous Play version and WB seems to work, but when I load different vocal parts it doesn't work.  I opened Play 6 standalone and have the same problem so I know it is not Cakewalk DAW related.  I tried to post the problem to the Soundsonline Forums and my post went to a moderator who gave me some suggestions on what to do.  I followed everything he suggested and it still doesn't work.    I informed the moderator that I tried everything he suggested and still had the problem and asked that my post appear on the forum in case someone else might have an answer or have the same problem.   My post never appeared on their forum.  Talk about a tightly controlled forum!!!   Makes me wonder how many other problems people have reported that aren't being shown on the forum.   Anybody else here using Symphonic Choirs with Wordbuilder and Play 6 having this issue?  At lease I know that my post to this forum won't be screened and rejected by a moderator.

I gave it a try when I saw your message but everything seemed fine for me with Play 6.1.0 and CbB

Might help if you said exactly which of the WB patches you are loading (I tested a few of them).  As a rule I'd say your problem is most likely the library's install itself (maybe re-download it using the EW Installation Center?).  You really should just open a ticket with EastWest, I suspect they have actually seen/dealt with your problem before.  Their forum isn't the recommend route for any support.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:11 PM, Matthew Sorrels said:

I gave it a try when I saw your message but everything seemed fine for me with Play 6.1.0 and CbB

Might help if you said exactly which of the WB patches you are loading (I tested a few of them).  As a rule I'd say your problem is most likely the library's install itself (maybe re-download it using the EW Installation Center?).  You really should just open a ticket with EastWest, I suspect they have actually seen/dealt with your problem before.  Their forum isn't the recommend route for any support.

Thanks for responding to my post and for the suggestions.   It helps to know you and others on this forum have WB working on Play 6.1.0 and CbB.  My post to their forum did show up on the Soundsonline forum a couple of days late.    I tried a number of the WB patches.  Below are the instructions given to me by the forum moderator.  I followed everything suggested except searching for and deleting all files on my C drive of Play VST.dll.   I did delete all the ones I found in the usual vst. dll folders before installing Play6.1 that I downloaded.  When I have more time I will do it all again and also do a drive search for the Play vsts .  If its still a no go after that I will open a ticket with EastWest.   

Thanks for commenting.   -MF 

Please try the following:

Download version 6.1.0 of PLAY here:

http://software.soundsonline.com/Pro..._6.1.0_Win.zip

Then, please browse to the Program Data folder on your C: drive*(not Program Files, you may need to choose "Show Hidden Files and Folders" under the 'View' tab in 'Folder options')*and delete the entire East West folder located therein. If you own QL Spaces, please be sure not to delete the QL Spaces folder.

Also, check your VST plugins folder and the VST plugins folder for your DAW specifically and make sure you are not accidentally loading a previous version of PLAY. You can delete any PLAY VST .dll files you find. This includes the VST3 at C:\Program Files\Common Files\vst3\ and also the vst2 ( play_VST_x64.dll ) which by default is at C:\Program Files\vstplugins\ but you should do a search for that file as you may have it elsewhere or duplicated (delete all versions you find)

Restart your PC and then reinstall PLAY from the update you downloaded earlier. If you can, open your DAW and have it scan for C:/Program Files/Vstplugins (or whatever folder you selected as your custom install folder). Then set-up your Libraries in Play, the easiest/fastest way is to do so through the EW Installation Center:

EW Installation Center
1. Open the Installation Center and Login with your*soundsonline.com*account
2. Click the Main Menu and choose 'Reconnect Libraries'*
Note: That should refresh the connection to all the libraries you have installed, but if not, follow the steps below*
3. Hover over the library you want to add, and a gear should show up on the right-hand side
4. Click the Gear and then choose ‘Locate Directory’
5. Find/Select the Instruments folder inside the Main Library Folder, then click ‘Open’

That library should then move itself into either your ‘Updates’ section, which you should then run, or into ’Installed Libraries’ which means it should be ready to use in Play

Did you delete your East West data folder at

c:\ProgramData\East West

Personally I'd uninstall Play and Spaces II (if you have it) and the East West Installation Center.  Then I'd delete the entire "c:\ProgramData\East West", then I'd reboot and reinstall Play.

The Play VST DLLs have nothing to do with your problem because you said the problem happens in the Stand alone version, which doesn't use any of the VST plugins.   But the database of what is what is all stored in c:\ProgramData\East West and if that's borked things like WordBuilder won't work.  Play may not realize that the patch you have loaded needs/supports the WordBuilder function if the databases it uses to decide that aren't working right.  If it's not that then there is something wrong with your sound library (the larger download) itself (corrupt files/etc)  In which case you'll need to redownload and/or re-install it.

Pretty much the only shot you have at fixing this is clean everything and reinstall. 

You might be able to cut some corners depending on what exactly is wrong but I doubt there is any end user way to fix this problem so I doubt anyone on these forums can help you all that much.  So I'd again stress you should open an actual support ticket with them.   Good luck.

Matthew- thanks for the suggestions.  I got Wordbuilder to work.   When I first reinstalled Play 6.1 after following the instructions the EW forum moderator gave me I checked my EW Installation Center and it showed Symphonic Choirs and  a download arrow next to it.  It was a big download file, and I didn't want to use up my broadband data and I thought I would just direct Play to my folder containing the Symphonic Choirs instrument samples.   After doing that  Wordbuilder wasn't working when I loaded Multi WB choruses which is when I posted the problem to this forum.   Yesterday,  I opened EW Installation Center to see what other EW instruments I have that might need an update and I noticed Symphonic Choirs indicated an available update, this time no big download.    So that did the trick and Wordbuilder now opens correctly.   

Many thanks!