Embedded audio in video has no sound on ios/osx

Keni

This is a new frustration.

I have a video imported to CbB to which I've added a music track. Saved as mp4.

Finished file plays fine on DAW.

Has no sound played via quicktime on OSX.

Uploaded to dropbox. Download to ipad has no sound.

Downloaded to pc plays fine?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Maybe the audio codec in your mp4 doesn't exist on MacOSX ?

There's an old Sonar thread that discusses a similar issue: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-issues-with-MP4-video-files-Please-help-2016-m3347825.aspx

You might want to try the suggestions in this post: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Export-your-Mix-to-MP4-Format-with-a-free-AAC-Codec-m3640301.aspx

Thanks Mark!

I'll check these out. A work around I just used which solved the problem was to import the CbB exported mp4 in Movie Maker and create a new mp4 from there.

This copy streams well and plays fine locally on all mentioned platforms. So there appears to be some issue with CbB's mp4 export that doesn't have full compatibility?

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Thanks Mark!

I'll check these out. A work around I just used which solved the problem was to import the CbB exported mp4 in Movie Maker and create a new mp4 from there.

This copy streams well and plays fine locally on all mentioned platforms. So there appears to be some issue with CbB's mp4 export that doesn't have full compatibility?

I don't think it's Cakewalk's issue per se - Cakewalk uses Microsoft's in-built stock codecs. They're obviously different from what Apple supports.

Having extra codecs would (probably) require licensing, which would drive up the cost for BandLab. As video editing isn't a core feature of Cakewalk, it's probably not seen as a high priority. And anyway, it doesn't stop you scoring to video, and I guess you can always provide a broadcast wave if necessary - which would probably be preferred, as it would be high quality vs some lossy compression.

Dedicated video editors such as Vegas / Movie Maker cover all audiences, so their codec support will be larger.

18 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I don't think it's Cakewalk's issue per se - Cakewalk uses Microsoft's in-built stock codecs. They're obviously different from what Apple supports.

Having extra codecs would (probably) require licensing, which would drive up the cost for BandLab. As video editing isn't a core feature of Cakewalk, it's probably not seen as a high priority. And anyway, it doesn't stop you scoring to video, and I guess you can always provide a broadcast wave if necessary - which would probably be preferred, as it would be high quality vs some lossy compression.

Dedicated video editors such as Vegas / Movie Maker cover all audiences, so their codec support will be larger.

Thanks!

I getcha! Makes sense. I thought I added more codecs a while back, but maybe not?

I have Media Composer First (free) on my Mac for film assembly, but I'm an extreme newbie and I'm finding tremendous difficult with simple audio work in it.