Global Climate Change

freddy j

Here is a song about a situation that can not be ignored.  It follows nicely with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 6th Report just issued last Monday, August 9, 2021.  I know  -- here goes Freddy J with more social observations and ranting.  However, this one is a wee bit different.  I have been listening to a lot of afrobeat music during the past few months and due to its rhythmic quality, it has captured me.  I have used Newen Afrobeat, Kokoroko, and Fela Kuti as models in this feeble attempt to do this song in afrobeat style.  It is a bit rough (especially since I had to use MIDI and Cakewalk TTS-1 for the horns).  Also the ending is a bit different.  Therefore, comments, crit.'s, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated.

By way of warning --- most afrobeat songs can be very long (e.g., 15-20 minutes +).  I would not subject you to that length but this is a long one (7:59).

I hope that this number makes a point and still is entertaining.

Thanks!

GLOBAL  CLIMATE  CHANGE

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

• Like 4

Notes as I listen:

1) Bring the guitar up a bit in the intro
2) Liking the BGV's 👍's
3) Agree the midi horns are a bit too, well "midi" (wish I knew how to properly implement NI "Pro Horns", I have it somewhere...)
4) The "solo" guitar is a bit more pronounced, but I'd try an increase of a dB or 2
5) Do like the beat a lot!
6) "Open your eyes, open your mind" you're preaching to the choir here, but I like the message!
7) big 👍's on the outro (ending)

well that's my running commentary Fred

👍 👍's up and a backfield in motion from me!

t

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RobertWS:    I am not quite sure what you mean by your comment?  If you are referring to the subject, of this song I have based and confirmed my  lyrics on the conclusions of the IPCC Sixth Report on Climate Change (available for downloading on the IPCC website).  This report is from one of three panels and deals with the physical aspects of Global Climate Change (GCC).   Their information is an update on their 5th Report (2014).  They are not publishing original research but a review and conclusions drawn from over 14,000 published, peer reviewed scientific articles published since the 7 years since the previous report.  There were 234 primary authors from  66 countries and 517 contributing authors that participated in producing this report.  In addition, a total of 78,007 expert and governmental reviewer comments were received.  These are all experts in the broad discipline of GCC with the requisite education and experience  as their credentials. 

Therefore, given this rigorous process, if my assumption above is correct, perhaps you can understand my confusion.  However, I am always open for alternative ideas, if the same level of rigor can be demonstrated!

BTW, other than subject matter, given that this is my first real attempt at afrobeat music, I would appreciate any suggestions you might have concerning the music, mix, etc.  Thanks.

Hi tom:  Thanks very much for listening and for your comments.  They are always insightful and helpful.  I have jotted your suggestions down.  I was hoping for more comments from others but when I re-address this song I will be using your suggestions.  Thanks again my friend!!!

Hey Jack:  As I am discovering, there is quite a South American afrobeat movement in Brazil, Chile, Argentina, etc.  I love the addition of the Latin beat to the African and funk contributions to this style music.  Thanks very much for your suggestions!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, freddy j said:

Hello RobertWS:    I am not quite sure what you mean by your comment?  If you are referring to the subject, of this song I have based and confirmed my  lyrics on the conclusions of the IPCC Sixth Report on Climate Change (available for downloading on the IPCC website).  This report is from one of three panels and deals with the physical aspects of Global Climate Change (GCC).   Their information is an update on their 5th Report (2014).  They are not publishing original research but a review and conclusions drawn from over 14,000 published, peer reviewed scientific articles published since the 7 years since the previous report.  There were 234 primary authors from  66 countries and 517 contributing authors that participated in producing this report.  In addition, a total of 78,007 expert and governmental reviewer comments were received.  These are all experts in the broad discipline of GCC with the requisite education and experience  as their credentials. 

Therefore, given this rigorous process, if my assumption above is correct, perhaps you can understand my confusion.  However, I am always open for alternative ideas, if the same level of rigor can be demonstrated!

You want to have a debate about global warming?   This isn't the place but.....OK.   Let's start with some facts:

-Glaciers were Already Retreating Before 1900
-Ice ages have been coming and going for eons.
-The last 20 years have shown zero warming (hence the switch to 'climate change').
-Man produces less than 1/2 of 1 percent of C02 on the planet.
-It was warmer in the 15th century than it is now.
-The greatest warming in the 20th century was between 1935 and 1950.
-NASA confirms: Sea levels FALLING across the planet in 2016 and 2017.
-NASA Data: Earth Cooled by Half a Degree Celsius From '16-'18
-Scientists have been caught manipulating and hiding data.
-None, NONE, of their prior predictions have come true.
-In 1995 Al Gore said by 2005 Miami will be underwater "due to Global warming". Miami is NOT underwater.
-In 2004, the Department of Defense released a report assuring the world Climate Change would destroy all of us by the year 2020.  Nope!
-The highest record temperature ever reported was 136 degrees Fahrenheit in Libya in 1922. The record high temperature for the United States was 134 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California in 1913.
-Excavations in the Antarctic have shown vegetation use to cover the continent.
-If all the C02 was removed from the atmosphere, we would die.  Plants need C02 to live and we need plants to live.
-US had its coldest February (2021) in more than 30 years, NOAA reports.
-Until about 215 million years ago, the Triassic period had experienced extremely high CO2 levels,at around 4,000 parts per million about 10 times higher than today.

If you want to worry about a real problem, I suggest overpopulation.

Edited by RobertWS
  • Sad 1

Always an emotive subject and one can always find data the refute one argument against another.  All I know is that the seasons seem to have been eroded since I was just a Wookleet

However I need to remind people the point is to review the music not the political content. 

So keep the comments about the music or we will find not only political songs being banned but also songs with religious content, gender, etc.

Thanks

PS @freddy j Cool grooving sir cool grooving.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I liked the groove and over-all feel of the song, but it did get too repetitive for me.  I also wanted to hear more vocal clarity and those horns needed the spotlight IMO.  I agree that they were very "midi" sounding, but I think that can be addressed.  With some work and "movement" in the piece, I think this one could be good.

I won't comment on the theme.  😁

I really like the way you tackle the issues of the day.  This time you used a beat that I find very appropriate for the message.  This is a global problem, and you said what many people need to hear!  Don't give up!  I really like this on a visceral level, and that's what it's all about.

• Like 1

Thank you Makke.  It is a bit long, as is most afrobeat music.  It could definitely be improved by adding in a bit more variety to keep one's attention.  I am on a steep learning curve with this kind of music and using MIDI and MIDI type VST's.

Hi Nigel.  Tom's comments are always helpful to me.  As I mentioned to Makke, I am on a vertical learning curve in trying to capture the nuances of this style of music.  I have been watching much more of this music on YouTube.  As far as the horns, there is also a lot to learn there -- e.g., the various available vsts, how to capture the timing, breathing etc., and that doggone piano roll view.  I am a guitar player (some might disagree with that) and this stuff is very much different.  However, the rhythms of this music have captured me and I will continue making feeble attempts at pursuing this style of music.  Thanks much for listening and I very much appreciate your comments.

Hi RobertWS.  Thanks for responding.  While I do enjoy a good discussion, Wookiee brings up a good point (stated above) and I would hate to mess things up for others on this forum.  Therefore, I shall not continue this particular dialogue.  Thanks again for your input.

Hi Wookiee.  You are absolutely right and I have not carried this discussion further.   My passion for this topic overwhelmed my good judgement.  Thanks for the reminder.

Hello Myriad Rocker.  I have a lot to learn in this style of music.  I appreciate your comments and have added notes of your comments for use in re-doing this number or in new attempts.

Thanks for listening Lynn.  I appreciate the encouragement and will continue my attempts at this style of music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1