Cakewalk will not launch

Bassfaceus

Hi all

Up until 90 min ago cake was running perfect

Intel I7

SSD / RME UFX / Behringer X touch.....all perfect

until i tried to connect a Behringer  X touch Extender..(xtra 8 motorized faders)

i set up what i thought was a new controller and  i couldnt get it working

so i closed cake to try again later..later came but cake just boots to the splash screen

and crashs to the desktop..

im fairly computer literate so i tried a few things.

Boot win 10 into safe mode...nada

Shift control boot up cake ...nada

rename AUD ini file...nada

update cake to latest ..nada

i dont want to uninstall /reinstall coz ive got so many customizations

what can i do..is there a file i can go to and remove the  new x tender settings i made

as that is ,i believe.the,cause of this problem.

Having said that cake has never once given me a problem its proven to be very robust

hence my surprise with this .

thanks

PS I have an old Sonar platinum on my computer and it opens and works fine

Edited by Bassfaceus

ok it seems Cake will create a new ctrlsurface file...and

now everything is back to the way it was.( i think...i hope)

problem now is getting the X Tender to connect to Cake...

i have made  a copy of my current working  ctrlsurface file

so i can replace it if this happens again.

so my ne w question is just that 

how connect  xtender to x touch to cakewalk

i think thats a new thread

thanks all

When this happens again. Just enter the Task Manager from the Taskbar or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and close it there. I'm not gona go too deep in yo why this happen - just know it's commonly due to some third party plugins | OR | Cpu and Ram overloads and drivers not closing/releasing in-time upon closing the program. 

This will happen from time-to-time, so you need to make a mental note of this.

Just to make should you have tried right things... You need 2 control surfaces inserted, one is "Mackie Control" (pointing to X-Touch) and another is "Mackie Control XT" (pointing to XTender).

If still no luck, cleanup MIDI devices in Windows (using Device Manager with disconnected devices shown throw an option in View menu). Delete AUD.INI. Enabled both devices in Cakewalk again, setup both surface plug-ins.

In other words: while devices are physically completely independent, plug-ins "cooperate" them. Important to do this right, "MIDI busy loops" can be created otherwise. After dis/re-connecting MIDI devices, Cakewalk can be confused what is where. What is displayed then is not where signals are set, triggering the first problem while is the settings everything looks "right".

PS. Configure surfaces without any project in Cakewalk. Till surface plug-ins "block" MIDI streams, something can be sent to devices and the input wrongly processed by Cakewalk, triggering the problem.

Thanks Azslow.....

connecting the X tender with Mackie XT is the missing peice of the puzzle.

i was using the standard Mackie...big problem.

so just to get this right...do i initially connect both units 

to seperate USB ports on my computer and setup? And then piggy back from X Touch...

Or do piggy back them from the XTouch like the setup guide (yeah right) says.

Or are they always on seperate USB?

Thanks for the help

Edited by Bassfaceus

Sorry for late reply. Just for clarification. As Mackie controllers, XTouch and XTender are completely independent on hardware side, they are "synced" inside end software, in this case Mackie plug-in.  So it does not matter how they are connected to computer. When Xtender is connected to XTouch, XTouch is just USB hub.