How To Merge 2 Midi Clips

DallasSteve

Question

It seems like every time I edit something in Cakewalk it does something I didn't want it to do.  Maybe to some random clip.  Maybe to the same clip.  I was trying to create a one bar clip below and then turn it into a Groove Clip.  Somehow it split into 2 clips at 1:01:480.  I gone too far down the road to do a bunch of Undo actions.  I searched YouTube and the documentation to find something about merging MIDI clips and came up  empty.  Can it be done?  Can I put these two clips back together?  I can't seem to even position the second clip to the edge of the first clip because if I type 1:01:480 into the Groove properties it jumps somewhere else.  Another Cakewalk random action I don't understand.

Cakewalk3.jpg

13 answers to this question

Select the clips  -  right click - select bounce to clips.

If they are on different tracks and you want to keep them at the same position on the time line - Select the clip - use shift key and drag to the intended track- right click - select bounce to clips.

• Like 1

John

Thanks.  That's valuable info.  Maybe "merge" wasn't the best term for this.  Maybe I should have said "join" because these 2 clips were originally 1 clip and somehow they got split.  I wanted to re-join them, one before the other.  I didn't mean to split them but I touched something (it wasn't the split tool) that told Cakewalk to split them and I wanted to re-join them.  Maybe the Smart tool switched to the split tool for a moment and I didn't notice it when I tried to move the clip.  In the end I did the Undo command multiple times and they went back together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I'm not sure if I'm missing some detail but if I take a clip and drag it over a second clip they seem to merge. 

merg clips.gif

In this case there are still two clips in different lanes.

Notice how the clip that was moved obscures the other clip.

If the clips were actually merged both clips data would show in the parent track.

• Like 1

As scook suggested, Bounce to Clip(s) is the standard way to combine (or re-combine) MIDI clips. Alt+left-click with the Smart tool will spit a clip. Handy when you need it, and fairly hard to do accidently, but it could happen. With lanes showing, you could also inadvertently split a section of a clip by clicking and dragging in the lower half of the clip with the Comp tool function of the Smart tool, but that would always create two split points, not just one. 

Hitting the  " S " key will split the clip where the track cursor is situated.  So you would  select the 2 clips  ( just hit ctrl - and select in the track - or header of each of the clips - Mouse right click then select "  bounce to clips " .  It's also available under the clips tab , in track view.

If you get in the habit of selecting the header of tracks, - and stay away from the clip boundary , there's less of a chance of dragging or fading the clip. When you bounce to clip - you are rendering any edits made to the individual clips into a new track file. Sometimes undo is your best bet.