Cakewalk not recording audio reliably

8 hours ago, Tezza said:

Is it? Never done it in Cakewalk yet but was pretty much common practice in video editing and some other DAW's, especially for problems like this where it seems there is some miscommunication between the audio driver and the software. I have done it in Studio One and Vegas Pro, there was no problem, easy to do. Why would it be considered last resort in Cakewalk?

there's plenty of config stuff, driver stuff, vs distros, etc, to check before uninstall/reinstall, plus the uninstaller doesn't uninstall cleanly (leaves registry etc stuff behind) - you have to  follow the "clean uninstall instructions" that are in the knowledge base somewhere - and even then, if you have other versions of sonar installed, they will also be affected by it...

so, yeah, i'd be trying everything else before reinstalling :)

/fwiw/ymmv

9 hours ago, Chris Jones said:

user-created midi track templates on my system are problematic, where when using a midi track template I created rather than using the standard insert midi track command, when I'd go to record on it the now time time would hang for maybe 3 seconds before recording would start and the same would happen when stopping the track, the now timeline would hang for a few seconds before rewinding itself.

Hmm, the Cakewalk start delay symptom. I won't call it a bug at this point because that implies a single cause. Symptom was that when I started the transport for any operation, be it Record or Play, there was an ever-increasing lag.

I have had a transport lag issue in the past, nasty one. In my case, I theorized that it had something to do with all the unused audio clips that were streaming from the disk, so I started culling them from my Take Lanes and the problem went away. But the project where it was most persisten was a mixed MIDI/audio project now that I think of it, and I wonder if I was looking in the wrong place, that it might have had something to do with the MIDI tracks. It was worst on a project that was solely audio, though.

There have been a couple of times where I hit Record and it didn't start recording at all, but that's not enough times to call it anything other than a glitch or even operator error.

3 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hmm, the Cakewalk start delay symptom. I won't call it a bug at this point because that implies a single cause. Symptom was that when I started the transport for any operation, be it Record or Play, there was an ever-increasing lag.

I have had a transport lag issue in the past, nasty one. In my case, I theorized that it had something to do with all the unused audio clips that were streaming from the disk, so I started culling them from my Take Lanes and the problem went away. But the project where it was most persisten was a mixed MIDI/audio project now that I think of it, and I wonder if I was looking in the wrong place, that it might have had something to do with the MIDI tracks. It was worst on a project that was solely audio, though.

There have been a couple of times where I hit Record and it didn't start recording at all, but that's not enough times to call it anything other than a glitch or even operator error.

I find shifting the whole arrangement over so it starts on bar 2 cures this for me in most cases.

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hmm, the Cakewalk start delay symptom. I won't call it a bug at this point because that implies a single cause...

Not to hijack the thread, but just to quickly say that in my case at least it most definitely *is* a bug as I've narrowed that lag down to user-created midi track templates. I know it's those templates because it happens when I use them and doesn't happen when I use the standard insert command. The the way I figured it out is with the same trick I always use to see if a session itself is corrupted or if it's something within the session: I highlight *everything* in the session, create a template out of the whole deal, open a blank session and load that template, essentially porting everything to a new clean session and seeing what happens. Often times things will work fine in the new session w/ the session template and I'll know that that previous session itself somehow got corrupted. But sometimes the problem carries over w/ that template and that's when I know it's something within the session and I can start the elimination process and that's how I found the midi track template problem. I need to look into it further, but it may drill down even further than that, as I vaguely recall the fact that I saved those midi template tracks as red, and it may be the saving them in a color other than standard gray being an issue. Yeah that seems weird but I seem to remember something like that but haven't verified it (the color aspect) 100% yet, but there's definitely a *user-created* midi template track bug on my system anyway and I think there may be something with audio track templates to causing these intermittent record failures. Anyway I'm curious if the OP was able to solve this as this has definitely been a problem for myself and a few others and the more methods to fixing it we can get documented the better. 

25 minutes ago, Chris Jones said:

Not to hijack the thread, but just to quickly say that in my case at least it most definitely *is* a bug as I've narrowed that lag down to user-created midi track templates. I know it's those templates because it happens when I use them and doesn't happen when I use the standard insert command. The the way I figured it out is with the same trick I always use to see if a session itself is corrupted or if it's something within the session: I highlight *everything* in the session, create a template out of the whole deal, open a blank session and load that template, essentially porting everything to a new clean session and seeing what happens. Often times things will work fine in the new session w/ the session template and I'll know that that previous session itself somehow got corrupted. But sometimes the problem carries over w/ that template and that's when I know it's something within the session and I can start the elimination process and that's how I found the midi track template problem. I need to look into it further, but it may drill down even further than that, as I vaguely recall the fact that I saved those midi template tracks as red, and it may be the saving them in a color other than standard gray being an issue. Yeah that seems weird but I seem to remember something like that but haven't verified it (the color aspect) 100% yet, but there's definitely a *user-created* midi template track bug on my system anyway and I think there may be something with audio track templates to causing these intermittent record failures. Anyway I'm curious if the OP was able to solve this as this has definitely been a problem for myself and a few others and the more methods to fixing it we can get documented the better. 

I have the edited upon opening issue, and while I have a soft-synth track template inserted, there is no color assigned to anything, and further, I use this same template for lots of projects, and this behavior in Cakewalk is new, meaning within the past couple of weeks - to the best of my knowledge.

OK - I just created a brand new empty project - no tracks, no plugins, no synths, using the 00 - Normal project template.  I saved it, then closed Cakewalk and opened it back up to load that new project.  NO recurrence of the 'edited on opening' issue, so I will now build up the project, in a series of adding things, then closing and relaunching Cakewalk - having it open to the project, to see when the edit on opening' issue appears.  I will post back with any new info I can offer.

Bob Bone

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, pwalpwal said:

last resort surely!

It would be for me as well. But only because I still have sonar installed on this same PC. Cakewalk and Sonar share certain folders. Uninstalling Cakewalk could hose some of Sonars presets.

Right, I forgot about previous installations, such as splat and x1 that I have, and I'm really not interested in busting out my discs and reinstalling those after all. But nothing worse than recording a hot take only to look up and find no waveform There. That messes with your mind man, you start wondering if you ever really pressed Record and didn't actually hit Play instead. This is a thing and it sucks. I *guess* what you could do is keep an eye on it at first and verify that a waveform is getting drawn before you start playing, but no.. that's no good either especially if you're punching in or need to start playing right after the count. If messing w/ the buffers has an *effect* on the issue like it did for me, where it went from happening everytime to intermittently after messing w/ the buffers, maybe it's not Cakewalk after all and maybe it's the audio interface/driver, which in my case is still the old RME 9632.

Edited by Chris Jones

16 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

there's plenty of config stuff, driver stuff, vs distros, etc, to check before uninstall/reinstall, plus the uninstaller doesn't uninstall cleanly (leaves registry etc stuff behind) - you have to  follow the "clean uninstall instructions" that are in the knowledge base somewhere - and even then, if you have other versions of sonar installed, they will also be affected by it...

so, yeah, i'd be trying everything else before reinstalling :)

/fwiw/ymmv

Well I just did it and there were no problems. I didn't check anything before uninstall, just dumped it off the computer, restarted and reinstalled the full program. Just had to change some preferences and do some setups but that is common with other DAW's when you reinstall. I don't use Sonar I only have CbB and Komplete Ultimate 10 mainly as sounds. I didn't follow any "clean uninstall instructions". Just uninstalled it, restarted the computer and reinstalled it.

I am not worried about registry keys, most software leaves those behind, it doesn't mean the installer/uninstaller is broken. There would need to be a specific reason to mess with those which usually relates to authorization or something like that, or if you feel a clean install is really necessary.

All my projects are running as they are supposed to.

I had to do it because I would never feel comfortable using software that I would be hesitant to uninstall/reinstall. That's like one of my favorite tricks if I get weird behavior from the DAW, it's not a last resort for me.

I didn't see any difference reinstalling CbB as I would reinstall Vegas or Studio One or other DAW's.

I think your advice relates more to those with Sonar installed alongside CbB, that does seem to be more complicated from what I've read and I wouldn't know how that works and cannot test it on my computer because I don't have Sonar. I guess it would depend on the complexity of the OP's setup as to whether this would be an easy or hard procedure or whether it might make any difference to the problem or be too much hassle.

18 hours ago, mopa5000 said:

I'd suggest that you check to see if you have auto punch engaged.  I've missed this one myself.  Good luck.

I was just about to mention that ^^ not sure if anyone else mentioned it but it has bitten me as well (the punch in button).

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, Chris Jones said:

But nothing worse than recording a hot take only to look up and find no waveform There

I can imagine. its hard enough sometimes to get a good take without having to worry about the software. I do miss those days of Tape when all one needed was clean heads, a full reel and good outboard FX.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...