Audio copied with Template save...

dantarbill

When I do a "Save As..." to save the current project as a Template, it insists on also copying all the audio data, even though I go to great pains to keep in from doing so.

"Copy all audio with project" is greyed out by default when the Save as type: is Template.  But it seems to want to ignore that setting.

Am I the only one that's seeing this?

Just because "Copy all audio with project" is deselected (and possibly disabled) does not mean the references to track data are removed. It means the audio clips are not physically copied when creating the new project/template.

To create a project template from a project without reference to track data, all the tracks must be wiped clean of data before saving as a template.

9 minutes ago, scook said:

To create a project template from a project without reference to track data, all the tracks must be wiped clean of data before saving as a template.

That kinda bites.

I'm dealing with 2 hour sets of 32 bit wav files with more than 20 tracks.  With each weekly iteration, I'm improving the mix and wanting to save the results back and improve the template.  You're saying I need to trash the current week's mix project in order to avoid the subsequent pointless copy.

<heavy sigh>

No. No trashing. First save your project, then use ctrl-a to select all clips followed by delete.

Then do a save-as template (make sure it goes in correct folder) and either close the project without saving r go to new/different project.

End result is first you have a saved copy of your project intact

and

a template exactly how your project is.

If the projects have the same number of tracks have a look at Mix Recall. Saved scenes may be copied between project.

Creating project templates from a populated project does not require

28 minutes ago, dantarbill said:

You're saying I need to trash the current week's mix project in order to avoid the subsequent pointless copy.

Try this:

• Save the project 
  • Select all tracks and wipe
  • Save Copy As new template
  • Undo wipe (or reload project)
  • Continue editing project

OR forget about project templates entirely. Instead, to start a new project use an existing project and

• Save As new project without "Copy all audio with project" selected
  • Select all tracks and wipe
  • Import new audio into project

23 minutes ago, Keni said:

...Then do a save-as template (make sure it goes in correct folder) and either close the project without saving r go to new/different project.

Ah...there you go thinkin' again.  I forgot that deleting the tracks doesn't really delete the files.

It's the same idea the scook subsequently suggested.

Thanks to all.

If the option is enabled the clips are physically copied during the save.

If the option is disabled the clips are not copied but the new project/template refers to the original audio clips.

This allows the user to have a pool of audio clips or keep the clips separate for each project.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, scook said:

If the option is enabled the clips are physically copied during the save.

If the option is disabled the clips are not copied but the new project/template refers to the original audio clips.

This allows the user to have a pool of audio clips or keep the clips separate for each project.

Ok...that "kinda" makes sense...ish.  The option is disabled, but the clips are getting physically copied to the common "Audio Data" folder rather than a per project audio folder.