DX EFFECTS MISSING IN CAKEWALK LATEST VERSION

Hi all. I updated Cakewalk to v2021.96 (latest). Now DX effects such as all Sonitus effects do not open in projects they were present in previous versions of Cakewal. I have a bunch of projects that have sonitus effects inserted as DX plugins, It seems Cakewalk does not find the path or location of these DX plugins. It is a real issue since I have many of these effects inserted in projects.

25 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

No reason to not use them if they are there.

Actually there is one good reason to start using others- eventually they won't work. It's best to keep abreast of software updates. You fall to far behind you'll have issues with that project 3 or 4 years down the road. TTS-1 is a good example. It's just barley co-existing at this point in time. It's going to be a sad day for many when W11 and Cakwalk build 134 kill it.

You should not build your house out of crumbling bricks. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

I' using Sonitus Plugins extensively, because the're awesome. No need to throw them out.  They're not going to get suddenly broken just for beeing  old.  DX is still supported and backwards compatible, as long they are 64Bit everything is fine.  🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Actually there is one good reason to start using others- eventually they won't work. It's best to keep abreast of software updates. You fall to far behind you'll have issues with that project 3 or 4 years down the road. TTS-1 is a good example. It's just barley co-existing at this point in time. It's going to be a sad day for many when W11 and Cakwalk build 134 kill it.

You should not build your house out of crumbling bricks. 

Right.  When they stop working, stop using them.  When they work, use them. But no need to stop using then when they work. I would certainly prepare for that day though but for now, they work.

We're not allowed to discuss TTS-1 here or V-Vocal or surround ... Lol. J/K. ;)

I'm having a problem with A.

Don't use A, use B.

But I want to figure out what happened to A first.

No, use B damn it and don't ask about A. Only losers use A. ;)

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Haha 2

TTS-1 & V-Vocal are notoriously problematic, so rather than deal with the aggravation, people like me just ditch them and use something that does work.  And therefore our advice is to do likewise. Fighting with things that aren't working, and that many other people have issues with as well, is just not productive.

I get that some people might not know; that's why they ask. Others are just trying to save them the frustration.

Edited by bdickens
  • Great Idea 1

17 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

See, you broke Cakewalk Club rule #4. No TTS-1 or V-Vocal! ;)

Rules made to be broken! :)

But this is just good advice. Use them if you want to, but if you have any trouble it's unlikely that you will receive any good help, other than a suggestion to look for replacements. Cakewalk most likely left them in there for legacy users with old Sonar projects that included them, so they would open in Cakewalk correctly.

So it's probably not a really good idea to start any brand new projects with such outdated tools. IMHO.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

Just now, abacab said:

Rules made to be broken! :)

But this is just good advice. Use them if you want to, but if you have any trouble it's unlikely that you will receive any good help, other than a suggestion to look for replacements.

I agree but I've tried to post what work-arounds (if any) that I know for those trying to deal with problems. Posts that are essentially "you are wrong for trying to figure out what changed" aren't helpful. Certainly, anyone that does a search for the "Forbidden Three" will quickly get the impression that those are not up to snuff anymore and should they be thinking of replacements. But if some of us know some short term solutions to try, why not tell them?

And I am joking about the "Forbidden Three." We can obviously ask anything we want.

• Like 1

For the record, I have given up trying to figure out why TTS-1 consistently works on my PC when it doesn't work properly for other users.  For me TTS-1 was always just a software substitute for hardware (some of my Roland stuff). I found it useful for sketching out possible arrangements / orchestrations, playing midi files just to hear what they sounded like, for diagnosing audio routing / interface issues, etc.

2 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

I apologize to @Julio Bonnemaisonin advance for going off topic. 

What 16 channel GM1/GM2 compatible MIDI soft synth is available for free like TTS-1 is; the Microsoft GS Wavetable embedded in Windows?

I am aware of a few GM soundfonts, but they are not 16 channel, unless you have a player for that. There are not many remaining options for GM these days. It seems that those are bygone days for developers... 😢

Probably the biggest loss for me if the TTS-1 died would be playing GM downloaded midi files.  But that said, my live performance days seemed to have ended with the abrupt halt in gigs since the Pandemic came to town. So I probably won't be making backing tracks anymore anywhoo,  therefore no need to look for cover tune midi files. Somehow that doesn't break my heart. 

But I would think we'll get a few more years out of the old DX stuff yet. Its been a long time since the TTS-1 crashed for me and I do think it was the situation where I added it late in the game. There are just so many real good FREE and CHEAP  VST instruments and effects that I'm not loosing sleep over this one. 

• Like 1