New tracks, buses, and folders should put focus on name field

Starship Krupa

When I add a new track, folder, or bus, the first thing I want to do is give it a name. I imagine that I'm not the only one who does this. My suggestion is that when a new track, bus, or (especially) folder is created, focus should immediately shift to the name field.

As it is, when creating new ones, they are given generic names, which is fine, and if it worked the way I suggest, all we would have to do to keep it or defer renaming would be to hit Enter.

Before any olde tymers raise protest, as with all behavior changes, this would be made a Preferences setting.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 4

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

+1  Pretty sure I've entered a feature request for this in the past - probably before this forum existed.

As I'd remind anyone else who made good feature requests prior to 2018, Cakewalk is for sure Under New Management, who have shown much interest in implementing these quality-of-life features.

So, ye olde tymers, if you submitted the request during the Obama administration and either had the developers of the day say "sure, great idea!" and never implement it, or had them say nothing despite a dozen fellow forumites clamoring for it: please re-submit them! Think of all the longstanding ones we've gotten over the past 3 years. It can be hard to remember them, because they fade into the background and Cakewalk just feels friendlier overall.

Cakewalk is of course no longer driven by the need to earn new license fees. The developers have a lot more flexibility as to how they direct their efforts. The people who've been using the program forever are a really great resource for digging up these old bugs and features. The "fresh set of eyes" crew (like me) are good for bringing up stuff that everyone else has been working around so long they don't even think about it, but we haven't dug as deeply into the features.

• Like 1