Gran Vista and Carbon Themes [Updated to CbB 2021.12]

Canopus

With the old Cakewalk forum soon to be frozen, I’m adding links to the themes Gran Vista and Carbon here as well for easy access and future updates.

Gran Vista Black & Blue

This theme is called Gran Vista as some of the design elements are inspired by the graphical user interface once found in Windows Vista. Some would say that look is dated, but hey – so am I.  :)

There are four slightly different versions of this theme.

JMul9oG.png

Gran Vista Black & Blue 000
No gloss on the PC modules and some other design elements being non-glossy as well, such as the track icons. This is a theme for the serious production-centric user.
Download from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEbGpfDomY4iiHPfY

Gran Vista Black & Blue 030
Using 30% opacity on the gloss layer makes for a matte look-and-feel. This is a theme for the quite serious production-centric user who doesn’t want to have too little or too much of just about anything.
Download from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEdCAuHOsrCAeaNP4

Gran Vista Black & Blue 060
Using 60% opacity on the gloss layer gives a subtle glare. This is a theme for the more casual production-centric user who, in the middle of a mixdown, still can appreciate some black plastic.
Download from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEbfXIwcxnm-Y-WPA

Gran Vista Black & Blue 100
Full 100% opacity on the gloss layer. This is actually the original theme I made, something for all of us who likes shiny, black plastic without reservations.
Download from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEblAVDPH9Yip3v7A

Carbon

The Carbon theme is for the really serious production-centric purist. It has an even darker look and also a flat, non-glossy Control Bar. All other design elements are shared with Gran Vista Black & Blue 000.

iikXHvQ.png

Download from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEcOCxvwxFeFGalk4

Matching CA-2A Skins

Those using the Gran Vista or Carbon themes and also the Cakewalk CA-2A ProChannel module might find that the module’s brushed aluminum stands out like a sore thumb against the dark theme. As I lately needed to spend some quality time with my procrastinations, I’ve also created matching dark skins for each theme variant, plastic knobs and all. For consistency, I also did likewise with the non-ProChannel effect (not shown here).

C0CmqBw.png

As CA-2A predates SONAR/CbB themes and hasn’t been made aware of them, replacing the default skin can’t be done through a theme update. It involves some manual tweaking, but it’s still very easy. Instructions on how to install and uninstall the graphical resources are supplied in a pdf that comes with the zip file. After downloading, please begin by reading those instructions before proceeding.

The zip file containing all the matching CA-2A skins can be downloaded here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEdYUVehZD7U-0cMY

Background

If the unlikely event that anyone would like to see the old thread describing the development of these themes, here’s the proper place to look. That thread also contains a few more preview images.

Here's also a link to the Release History of these themes: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEdu3To6t7ZeQmmAo

Some final words: Please be patient when starting a download. Microsoft OneDrive is often painfully slow when responding to a download request.

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Both the Gran Vista Black & Blue and Carbon themes have now been updated to support recent modifications in CbB 2019.01. This includes the Ripple Edit indicator and the new Plugin Browser text colours. Download the themes from the links supplied in the OP.

Hey Canopus, I'm using the Gran Vista Black & Blue 000. I've noticed the shades on the Selection and Punch In/Out modules are different compared to the Loop module. I went in and corrected this so I'm in effect using Gran Vista Black & Blue 000 modified. Every time there's an update to the theme, I have to go in and do the modification. Is this an over look on you part or was it intended to be? The two image below illustrate what I'm referring to. 

Gran Vista Black & Blue 000

734142145_GranVistaBlackBlue000.png.0e43a64c7b075cf5125383d0cdeaa9aa.png

Gran Vista Black & Blue 000 modified

62323972_GranVistaBlackBlue000modified.png.e9b48bcef21a2f63a5faf98bb2b67c83.png

Edited by DeBro
  • Thanks 1

Nice catch, DeBro. I hadn’t noticed that myself as I don't have those modules side-by-side on my own computer. Although I would say that the intended colour is slate gray and not black, I can at the same time acknowledge that black is more in line with the Windows Vista look-alike objective. It also gives a better contrast against the displayed values.

I’ll see what I can do.

Some minor modifications have now been done to the Gran Vista themes (none of which affecting Carbon):

• Now all Control Bar modules has consistent value field background colours. Previously some were black while others were dark gray. Thanks DeBro for pointing the problem out.

• The Control Bar now has a Gran Vista theme appearance also when collapsed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's optional in Preferences. No theme meister can thwart colored strips!!! :P

Tho, it is possible to color fill some CV modules so the strip color won't shine thru.

TIP: To color fill a module background so the strip colors will still shine thru, make it semi transparent.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:10 AM, Canopus said:

Carbon

The Carbon theme is for the really serious production-centric purist. It has an even darker look and also a flat, non-glossy Control Bar. All other design elements are shared with Gran Vista Black & Blue 000.

EqnFHq1.png

Download from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEcOCxvwxFeFGalk4

Canopus, that you for the carbon theme, I have old man eyes, and this theme is just what the doctor ordered...Isn't too dark or too bright just right, I can see everything  so much clearer, even the colors seem more vibrant....Thanks again

Edited by C-Factor
too large
  • Like 1

Both the Gran Vista Black & Blue and Carbon themes have now been updated to support GUI modifications in CbB 2019.03, i.e. the Arpeggiator Rate Lock button. Download the modified themes from the links supplied in the OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both the Gran Vista Black & Blue and Carbon themes have now been updated to reflect changes in CbB 2019.07 with new buttons for Smart Tool, Smart Tool (customized) and Select.

Additionally, the Record button in the small Transport module has now been modified so that it displays currently selected recording mode. Previously the recording mode was only visible when large buttons were displayed. Although this was consistent with how both Mercury and Tungsten displays the small Record button, a forum thread made me aware of the lack of indicators in the stock themes and I saw no reason why not to add it to these custom themes.

Download the modified themes from the links supplied in the OP.

Both the Gran Vista Black & Blue and Carbon themes have now been updated to support GUI modifications in CbB 2019.09, i.e. the addition of an Auto Crossfade button in Track View.

Additionally, the colour of Selection Markers (a.k.a. ”That new green selection bar thing”) has also been modified in order to give better contrast against the timeline. The previous dark gray colour has now been changed to green, same as in Tungsten. In addition to increased contrast, this will also give better conformity with the end user documentation. However, if you don't like that change, do let me know; I'm not totally convinced myself so if enough numbers ask me to go back to dark gray, I might consider doing so. ;)

As always, download the modified themes from the links supplied in the OP. You will also find a link to a newly added release history pdf there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Canopus - do you have any idea (post-09 update) how to change the colour of the text appearing on top of MIDI notes in the PRV?  I have the unenviable position of dark grey on black (or similar) so the new feature is pretty useless for me.

3 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Canopus - do you have any idea (post-09 update) how to change the colour of the text appearing on top of MIDI notes in the PRV?  I have the unenviable position of dark grey on black (or similar) so the new feature is pretty useless for me.

The MIDI notes in the PRV will inherit the track colour they have been given in Track View. Using default track colours, the first three tracks will in the PRV have black text on green, mustard and blue respectively. So I must assume that you are talking about the colour of unselected tracks when displayed ghosted alongside the selected track in the PRV. They will indeed be rendered using black text on a dark gray background, as seen at the bottom of the example below.

ovyLEfZ.jpg

There are 16 different colours exposed in the Theme Editor making up the different graphical elements possible to modify in the PRV. As none of these colours relate to ghosted MIDI notes, nothing can be done to change their appearance in the Theme Editor as far as I can see.

And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone soon will correct me. :)

• Like 1