Cakewalk Pros and Cons

Xel Ohh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/11/2021 at 4:01 PM, Xel Ohh said:

I know everyone has things they would like to see in the DAW added or improved but this is my list of 6 pros and cons from my experience with Cakewalk. Comment and let me know about your list. 

Great vid Xel Ohh. Most of your cons though have very simple work arounds so they're really not deal breakers for me.

1. Free and cheap samplers are everywhere. I have at least a dozen installed. Waves introduced one just last year. I got it for like $9

2.Track folder with multi-inst and assigned midi or drum maps. Save as template and you only have to do that once. Boom multi outs.

3. As far as the FX... listeners can't hear your GUI. Back in the day your whole DAW would look like that. In fact your whole operating system would, but platinum hits were still being made on them. Function over form.

main_lg_1_.thumb.gif.1e0e798b0c0b0e269f62025adf187fe9.gif

4. Bonus: Many don't know this but SI Instruments have several built in presets. Click where it says Default Prog and a browser menu will pop up with many instrument presets.Persets.thumb.JPG.c60e807723d4e0ecdec816d6ec9fd8f7.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/8/2023 at 1:34 PM, Lemar Sain said:

4. Bonus: Many don't know this but SI Instruments have several built in presets. Click where it says Default Prog and a browser menu will pop up with many instrument presets.Persets.thumb.JPG.c60e807723d4e0ecdec816d6ec9fd8f7.JPG

And a years old bug lives in that program window: The scroll bar doesn't show up unless you resize that window. Depending on how much screen space you have, that window can cut at a point where you'll think you only have that amount of programs to work with. All Studio Instruments plugins have that issue, since they have the same interface.

• 1 month later...

I cut my teeth on Cakewalk and still love it as a great all around PC DAW.

Never had issue with Cakewalk until I loaded like 4 other DAWS into my station which probably isn't the sharpest thing to do. I was attempting to find the best programs for different applications. As it turned out, loading those other DAWs must have had some sort of conflict with Cake because it hasn't really booted or worked right since. Takes like 25 minutes to attempt to boot. Almost boots and then freezes.

I haven't had the time to mess with it  lately. I have just used what works ( not CW). 

During the time these events were happening, I began to look at compatibility with local fellow musician's machines for projects. A lot has been happening these last few years with computers. Apple still apparently sells Intel based machines while they also sell M-1 and M-2 based computers. I admit I looked more than once at cross compatible solutions for that computer that would allow me to generate a project from one type of machine into another type of machine so files can be shared between studios. 

Nothing new here as we have had some level of compatibility for some time, but things have changed with respect to the efficiency of M-1, M-2.

I'm not going to lie here. When I make my next computer purchase I will be looking at these options.

Pros- Cakewalk is a very well developed and amazinly workable DAW solution for PC.

Cons- in a dense studio environment across multiple engineers, Cakewalk probably should not be the first consideration.

Lower impact cpu applications in lone studio environments, or in environments where everyone has and uses Cakewalk, it's great. Not saying Cakewalk isn't ok for those larger projects, but it personally makes me nervous. I have no intention to upset the apple cart for those who are using it in this capacity.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 1:00 PM, Tim Smith said:

I cut my teeth on Cakewalk and still love it as a great all around PC DAW.

Never had issue with Cakewalk until I loaded like 4 other DAWS into my station which probably isn't the sharpest thing to do. I was attempting to find the best programs for different applications. As it turned out, loading those other DAWs must have had some sort of conflict with Cake because it hasn't really booted or worked right since. Takes like 25 minutes to attempt to boot. Almost boots and then freezes.

I haven't had the time to mess with it  lately. I have just used what works ( not CW). 

During the time these events were happening, I began to look at compatibility with local fellow musician's machines for projects. A lot has been happening these last few years with computers. Apple still apparently sells Intel based machines while they also sell M-1 and M-2 based computers. I admit I looked more than once at cross compatible solutions for that computer that would allow me to generate a project from one type of machine into another type of machine so files can be shared between studios. 

Nothing new here as we have had some level of compatibility for some time, but things have changed with respect to the efficiency of M-1, M-2.

I'm not going to lie here. When I make my next computer purchase I will be looking at these options.

Pros- Cakewalk is a very well developed and amazinly workable DAW solution for PC.

Cons- in a dense studio environment across multiple engineers, Cakewalk probably should not be the first consideration.

Lower impact cpu applications in lone studio environments, or in environments where everyone has and uses Cakewalk, it's great. Not saying Cakewalk isn't ok for those larger projects, but it personally makes me nervous. I have no intention to upset the apple cart for those who are using it in this capacity.

I have 11 DAWs on my Intel machine running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Not one of them has ever caused a conflict with any other one.

Except for my 12th DAW that I no longer use. Samplitde installed its own version of ASIO4ALL that messed with every  other DAW until I uninstalled it. I abandoned that DAW after that debacle.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1